Workday Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.1
Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri
  1. Featured Review

"#1 Great Place to Work and lives up to it!"

Program Director in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Workday

Pros

Joined Workday in Dublin this week and the experience from application, to each interview stage, through to receiving the offer was exceptional - fast, efficient, professional but above all I felt like they really went above and beyond to make it a truly personal experience. The welcome I received from the team I’m working with has been beyond amazing. I feel at home already! Plus I’ve been set up for success through the thoughtful and well planned onboarding plan from week one through to the next 6 months. This is what a great candidate experience feels like! So excited to work with great teams and partners in a company that places culture, values and people at the core of everything!

Cons

Haven’t experienced any at this stage

Advice to Management

When you place culture, values and people at the core, it makes a great place to work. Keep doing what you’re doing!

Workday2019-07-17
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super place to work, flexi hours, amazing culture, great location, great perks, shares, etc.

Cons

Inconsistency across the teams as some teams have great flexibility and others not

Workday2020-01-24

"Fake and overhyped"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

free peanuts and some weird pseudo-healthy snacks

Cons

A corporation machine that poses as a warm and welcoming company. Full of politicking and rumours and a middle management brainwashed by the american overly-pretiffied status quo. Often posing as a employee-friendly Best Place to Work, it's all smoke and mirrors and one quickly can see the thick hipocrisy surrounding management speeches.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, open and true to your word. All the smart people you hire can see trough all the BS

Workday2020-01-24
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

My team is very challenging, but often rewarding .

Cons

A lot of teams are asleep. As a DevOps engineer, I find it very frustrating that nobody has a clue where/how their software runs, and even moreso that they are unwilling to improve and learn.

Workday2020-01-10

"Used to be really great company, but as it is growing too fast not sure it will stay like this"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really enjoyed my experience with the company since join in 2016 until recently. Lately too much politicking happening around and too many nice ppl start leaving. Personally for me had good and bad managers (company growing, a lot of changes happening) aka good and bad experiences in the company. Still would recommend to consider the company as a workplace but be careful who the manager is and what the team would offer in term of career and learning opportunities. --- If the manager is good, as everywhere, the overall experience with the company will be really good --- Possibility to change the position/department inside the company --- Usually management is supportive around learning opportunities --- Flexibility (in my case, but not on the company level) --- Complex software so challenging enough (* but some monolithic parts of it not so interesting to work on) --- Possibility to travel and collaborate with US based teams --- Multicultural environment and a lot of nice ppl --- Volunteering opportunities --- Good base pay + Stocks --- Good office space

Cons

--- Inconsistency across the departments on remote work, wfh, career development --- Really bad HR department in Dublin office: all through the tickets even when urgent things are happening, easier to search for the help from colleagues as they are more responsive, no easy way to engage with HR when situation requires it as it's hard to find right person even to ask (again usually the response is 'Create a ticket'), no exit interview --- Core values are written but the actions are not aligned lately --- Company is growing too fast so a lot of toxic ppl came in the company and destroying prior really good work place to be (sad) --- Very unfair treatment in some departments around the company (like making ppl aim to ‘be visible’ to be promoted (I always thought it should be around contribution, quality of work and etc.), one of my managers for example was really arrogant, unprofessional and did a lot of micromanaging, others were from ok to great, in some teams socialising after work influence your ‘visibility’ - very non inclusive I’d say for certain categories of employees ) --- Company doesn't fire people more like making them leave. Those 3 who actually were fired (I assume they were) disappeared without a word. Which is really weird for me. --- Slow delivery to production (it's kinda good everything is tested and etc, but annoying to wait half of a year or more to see something be delivered)

Advice to Management

--- I'd suggest to rethink HR engagement as it's bad now, tickets are frustrating and it's not the way you would want search for advice or help --- As company growing so fast pay attention for employees 'migration' and not allow some managers destroy completely the company culture (as it's still there)

Workday2019-12-18

"Great place, but but not great people"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance for some teams. Great benefits Good salaries Good snacks program

Cons

People: Some nice people, some very arrogant and toxic people, depending on which team you join. Technology: The core application is a monolithic one, old technology for the teams working in core application, except for some new teams that are using modern technologies. They are trying to update technologies used, but this is moving very slowly. If you end up with working in the monolithic app you will experience all the drawbacks of a monolithic application, like: - Massive code base that is really hard to understand, - Hundreds of developers working in the same code base, - Pipeline blocked most of the time, - Tricky to debug, takes some time, - Poor test coverage, - Bugs can slip out easily, etc… If you will work with XO, their proprietary language, not that bad as a concept, but it's not done in developer friendly way, it has pros and cons. XO Pros is that it helps building features quickly. XO Cons: Takes lots of time to learn it. It limits your thinking to the capabilities it has, which is limited compared to any other language. Tools around it is not great, for example the code review tool is not good. The automation framework that is done on top of it is very bad to work on as well. The UI for the development is not developer friendly, which is basically inside the browser and UI based. People - details Managers hell: I had bad luck and joined 2 different teams in which I didn't have a good time over there. I have seen very poor soft skills, especially communication skills among senior people, and managers, within my team, i didn’t find respect, i wasn’t valued, i didn’t find psychological safety which is very important important for a successful team, Instead I found pointing fingers, blaming, undermining others. I have worked with 2 managers. 1st one was fake, too formal, a kind of person who gives too many instructions which he doesn't follow half of them. A kind of manager that you feel the 1-1 meeting is something you need to prepare and worry about. He used a google doc to track what we say and ask about it next time, which gave the meeting the formality style, which is not good for 1 to 1 meetings, he had very poor communication skills, he would joke about people's mistakes rather than trying to give constructive feedback. Second manager was worse, he looked very nice, funny, friendly, until any mistake happens, or anything that he doesn't like. He turns to the other face, aggressive communication style, blaming, comparing to others. All the things that it is not recommended for professional communication, he was doing it. he has offensive and harsh communication style, that you would feel offended after. Some of our meetings would turn into arguments, shouting, blaming game and whose fault it is. After some time working with this manager i would go to work, feel anxious all the time just thinking that I could have done something wrong that would result of him talking to me in un -pleasant way. Working under these 2 managers in Workday are considered to me the worst time in my life, which turned my hope of working in a great place fades and turns into a nightmare. Disrespect and exclusion Being in these 2 teams, I didn’t feel much inclusion and respect, i was different in terms that I don't like going out to their outings, I don’t like parties or fun the way they see it. I don’t like drinking, I don't talk much about other things than work. I was looked at like I am weird. The culture they advertise is talking about things like value employee, and inclusion. But the true and actual culture is different. There isn’t much stress on applying this culture. I was advised by my manager to try to mingle more and talk more about any nonsense, and to go out with the team for drinks. He didn’t really understand my personality and was as if asking me to change my personality to fit more into the company. Once he mentioned that this how it is in Workday and this is what i need to do to fit the fun culture. He didn’t understand that every person have fun in a different way. Other than managers, i have seen senior and principals that doesn't respect others, talks about other in their backs, not patient, all of these things are missing from them are necessary for someone with such senior position, which makes me wonder how they were promoted. They were hard workers, have been in the company for some time, but that is not enough for someone to be promoted, senior person as well need to be a role model and be able to mentor others. Once one of the senior managers had an org meeting and he was bragging and joking about how much he curse, which just reminded me with high school time. I just wanted to tell him, come on, grow up - how immature!!!

Advice to Management

Not everyone that tells jokes and is laughing to others all the time fits to be manager, manager most important skill is to communicate, and to coach, if someone is very good in the product, or very organised and active but doesn't have these 2 important skills, he will end up with people running from his team and from the company. Another thing, not everyone that has been in the company for sometime and he wants to be a manger you let him, without checking these 2 important skills. To promote people, they must show very good communication skills with people above him and people below him in level. The quality of people you hire is very important. In addition to good benefits, soft skills, communication skills are very important for a great work place Work more on applying the core values. Include respecting and accepting others as they are and not enforcing specific way of the values. Be more strict specifically to managers on enforcing the core values. Give more training about respecting others, how to give feedback, how to handle others' mistakes, coaching, leadership.

Workday2019-11-26
  7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Development in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

great company culture. Recommended to everyone

Cons

it is very expensive to live in dublin

Workday2019-11-08

"Overall good place but scaling too fast"

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good perks ( equal to most tech companies) 27 days for holidays

Cons

No career progression, no proper recognition, communication all over the place, managers don't allow professional development on training level, use to be a horizontal hierarchy but completely changed

Workday2019-10-04
  9. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Greate Culture, Awesome People, Nice Benefits and some opportunities to grow

Cons

Application Engineers works with a built-in language/framework.

Workday2019-10-25
  10. "Interesting work in a forward thinking company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting work Good benefits Good office space

Cons

Promotion path can be a little slow

Workday2019-10-15