Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

It was college hiring.. smooth and quick. Got interviewed by 4 people and had 1 tech screen.
The interviewers were great and made me comfortable. It was a 2 day campus hiring process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

5 loops of 1 hour interviews with one lunch interview that lasted double the time than all the other interviews. lunch was paid by the interviewer I had during the lunch interview, over all it was a good process I loved it and I decided to accept my offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

It’s for an event Interview. First step was online tech screening. It ranges from easy to medium difficulty problems. You might be asked to write an algorithm or find bugs and provide fixes or write possible test cases. I had three such problems. One Straight forward coding problem. One to find bugs and provide fixes. One data structure implementation(medium difficulty).
    Then onsite interview with 4 rounds. Pretty straight forward white board coding questions. First round scenario based problems. Second round implementing a data structure. Third round scenario based problem. Fourth is hard difficulty problem. Leetcode is the best source for MSFT interviews. I would say expect Atleast two rounds out of leetcode but one should be able to solve it if practiced enough. I got three problems outside of leetcode. Got call from the recruiting manager the next business day and discussed the offer. Super quick turn around from them!!

Negotiation

I got quite good offer so did not negotiate much!!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Campus Interview, one on one with a Software Engineer at Microsoft, who asked some technical questions and then opened the conversation for questions ~30 min total. I had attended my college's engineering career fair and was then selected for an in-person interview the following few days.

Interview Questions

• Program an analog clock.   1 Answer
    • Program the Game "Bobble" (word search game - 4x4 grid of letters) you are given a dictionary.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First round was an on campus technical interview. This was followed by an on site interview in Seattle consisting of 4/5 interview rounds. The interviews were technical and included concepts on computer engineering/database/security.

Interview Questions

• Sorting of a binary search tree, grid game   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA (US)).

Interview

Applied on their website and received a coding challenge with 3 questions that is to be completed in 1 hour. There was no environment and language specified. Received an invitation to interview on site 3 days later. There were 4 technical + behavioral interviews and 1 final behavioral. Interviewers provides feedbacks on your algorithms and are looking for ready-to-ship solutions (remember edge cases --> this is very important, and downsides!). Ask for expected input and outputs to be sure. Heard back 2 weeks after onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that copies buffers content from a linked list to another one where both lists total buffer size is variable.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of integers l and an int k, find all continuous sequences in l that sum to k.   1 Answer
    • Design a pub/sub system. Multithread it.   Answer Question
    • Reverse all words in a sentence and keep punctuation (liberty in deciding this) in place. "I am Ironman." becomes "I ma namnorI."   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

I have attended telephonic technical interview. It took around 60 mins overall. Intially, started with my previous projects and my background work and asked few relevant questions. About 30 mins the discussion went well. After that he asked me about deep copy and shallow copy. And coded with some examples. The experience was good but the process seems to be little tough to get into and I am waiting for the confirmation for next levels.

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between deep copy and shallow copy and implement sample coding on this?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (San Diego, CA (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

it was a 1:1 on campus interview. The recruiter asked me the following question: "We have two sorted single direction linked lists. Write an efficient algorithm to merge them together and the outcome should be sorted as well. Creating a new linked list is not allowed". Then he asked whether I was graduating the following quarter to which I answered no. After two weeks received and email that said, they could not proceed with the second round of interviews and they can not tell my why!

Interview Questions

• How would merge two sorted linked lists without creating a new one so that the outcome is sorted as well.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in November 2009.

Interview

Following a phone interview I was invited to the Redmond campus for a long day of one-on-one interviews. Microsoft was gracious enough to pay all of my expenses for flying out to WA and eating/traveling.

The 1:1 interviews themselves were interesting and difficult but often oddly focused: I felt as if the engineers who asked me questions usually were only interested in their own areas of study, and my knowledge or lack thereof in their (sometimes very different) fields didn't matter as much. For example, I had one interviewer ask me at the beginning of the interview if I had studied design patterns. I answered that while I had used some simple ones in the past, I have never formally studied them and thus don't know that many, nor the names of the ones I do know. Despite this, he continued to ask me questions for an hour about design patterns, and became visibly angry with me when I couldn't put names to the patterns he described. This probably boils down to typical engineer unsocial tendencies.

The strangest part of the process is that you interview for a group within Microsoft that is chosen for you ahead of time without any of your own input. I ended up interviewing for a group that was doing work that did not interest me whatsoever, which made the process that much harder.

Interview Questions

• Given a 2d matrix of numbers where each row and column is sorted in increasing order, describe an efficient algorithm to test whether a given number is in the matrix.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2009.

Interview

I gave my resume to one of the recruiters who came to our college and they setup a phone interview with me. It took about 45-60 minutes and the interviewer asked me questions about linked lists, arrays and one brain teaser. After that i was scheduled for an on-site interview. I spoke with 2 managers and 2 developers from Remote Desktop group and i did 90 percent of the questions. However Microsoft was laying off people and they stopped a lot of positions before i went there. Remote Desktop department is not what i was going to see but i ended up seeing them. Finally 1.5 weeks later i got a letter saying that they cant offer anything

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.