Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Microsoft Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

I was invited for networking event with online questionnaire. Online questionnaire had leetcode's easy to medium difficulty level questions. I cracked it and I was invited for onsite. Onsite had 4 tech rounds. 2 tech rounds were by Hiring managers and 2 tech rounds were by Tech lead and Software engineer I believe.

Interview Questions

• Binary tree question. Solution involved doing inorder traversal. Not exactly remembering question.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

- Recruiter Interaction, included job fair and follow-up phone call.
    - Phone Screen: standard technical screen which went over resume projects and coding problem to solve.
    - 4 rounds of onsite: Each round included white board problems. Was asked in total 6 problems to solve between each round. Each round had some behavioral questions asked, typical questions.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral: What situations have you experienced where someone did not agree with your solution, how did you get through that?

For coding review, know your algorithms and data structures.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in December 2018.

Interview

Got an internal referral and recruiter phone interview first. Secondly finished online assessment which was very easy, then went to the on-site hire event with four rounds of coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Lowest Common Ancestor in a Binary Tree; Detect and Remove Loop in a Linked List   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was smooth. Reasonable questions. Interviewers were nice and polite. They are willing to get to know you. Questions were reasonable. The HR provided sent back responses very quickly. Overall it was a great interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• Mostly coding questions. Leetcode easy/medium level   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

After applying online, contacted by recruiter for phone screen, followed by online coding test.
    This was for the job fair in july month. Recruiter didnt give me feedback for the online coding

Interview Questions

• 3 questions 1) C++ debugging question 2) binary search with minor modification 3) algo for generating 16 bit zip based on intersection of street and avenue   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Round 1: system design. First the interviewer asked me about my current company’s projects, like how to handle too many requests and multiple writing requests in the same object, etc. Then he asked me to design a mechanism to crawl two (follow up: a lot of) websites.
    Round 2: coding. Implement a function to add files to a file management system.
    Round 3: lunch & interview, coding. First question: serialize & deserialize a binary tree. Second question: Write a function to find spam email (emails sent from wrong names like “Micr0s0ft” or “amezon”)

Interview Questions

• system design. First the interviewer asked me about my current company’s projects, like how to handle too many requests and multiple writing requests in the same object, etc. Then he asked me to design a mechanism to crawl two (follow up: a lot of) websites.   1 Answer
    • Implement a function to add files to a file management system.   1 Answer
    • serialize & deserialize a binary tree   1 Answer
    • Write a function to find spam email (emails sent from wrong names like “Micr0s0ft” or “amezon”)   1 Answer
    • Implement a calculator with +, * (, and ).   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

It was college hiring.. smooth and quick. Got interviewed by 4 people and had 1 tech screen.
    The interviewers were great and made me comfortable. It was a 2 day campus hiring process.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

5 loops of 1 hour interviews with one lunch interview that lasted double the time than all the other interviews. lunch was paid by the interviewer I had during the lunch interview, over all it was a good process I loved it and I decided to accept my offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

It’s for an event Interview. First step was online tech screening. It ranges from easy to medium difficulty problems. You might be asked to write an algorithm or find bugs and provide fixes or write possible test cases. I had three such problems. One Straight forward coding problem. One to find bugs and provide fixes. One data structure implementation(medium difficulty).
    Then onsite interview with 4 rounds. Pretty straight forward white board coding questions. First round scenario based problems. Second round implementing a data structure. Third round scenario based problem. Fourth is hard difficulty problem. Leetcode is the best source for MSFT interviews. I would say expect Atleast two rounds out of leetcode but one should be able to solve it if practiced enough. I got three problems outside of leetcode. Got call from the recruiting manager the next business day and discussed the offer. Super quick turn around from them!!

Negotiation

I got quite good offer so did not negotiate much!!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Campus Interview, one on one with a Software Engineer at Microsoft, who asked some technical questions and then opened the conversation for questions ~30 min total. I had attended my college's engineering career fair and was then selected for an in-person interview the following few days.

Interview Questions

• Program an analog clock.   3 Answers
    • Program the Game "Bobble" (word search game - 4x4 grid of letters) you are given a dictionary.   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.