Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Microsoft Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

It was college hiring.. smooth and quick. Got interviewed by 4 people and had 1 tech screen.
The interviewers were great and made me comfortable. It was a 2 day campus hiring process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA (US)) in January 2017.

Interview

5 loops of 1 hour interviews with one lunch interview that lasted double the time than all the other interviews. lunch was paid by the interviewer I had during the lunch interview, over all it was a good process I loved it and I decided to accept my offer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

It’s for an event Interview. First step was online tech screening. It ranges from easy to medium difficulty problems. You might be asked to write an algorithm or find bugs and provide fixes or write possible test cases. I had three such problems. One Straight forward coding problem. One to find bugs and provide fixes. One data structure implementation(medium difficulty).
    Then onsite interview with 4 rounds. Pretty straight forward white board coding questions. First round scenario based problems. Second round implementing a data structure. Third round scenario based problem. Fourth is hard difficulty problem. Leetcode is the best source for MSFT interviews. I would say expect Atleast two rounds out of leetcode but one should be able to solve it if practiced enough. I got three problems outside of leetcode. Got call from the recruiting manager the next business day and discussed the offer. Super quick turn around from them!!

Negotiation

I got quite good offer so did not negotiate much!!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Austin, TX (US)) in March 2017.

Interview

Campus Interview, one on one with a Software Engineer at Microsoft, who asked some technical questions and then opened the conversation for questions ~30 min total. I had attended my college's engineering career fair and was then selected for an in-person interview the following few days.

Interview Questions

• Program an analog clock.   2 Answers
    • Program the Game "Bobble" (word search game - 4x4 grid of letters) you are given a dictionary.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Cambridge, MA (US)).

Interview

Applied on their website and received a coding challenge with 3 questions that is to be completed in 1 hour. There was no environment and language specified. Received an invitation to interview on site 3 days later. There were 4 technical + behavioral interviews and 1 final behavioral. Interviewers provides feedbacks on your algorithms and are looking for ready-to-ship solutions (remember edge cases --> this is very important, and downsides!). Ask for expected input and outputs to be sure. Heard back 2 weeks after onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that copies buffers content from a linked list to another one where both lists total buffer size is variable.   1 Answer
    • Given a list of integers l and an int k, find all continuous sequences in l that sum to k.   1 Answer
    • Design a pub/sub system. Multithread it.   Answer Question
    • Reverse all words in a sentence and keep punctuation (liberty in deciding this) in place. "I am Ironman." becomes "I ma namnorI."   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

First round was an on campus technical interview. This was followed by an on site interview in Seattle consisting of 4/5 interview rounds. The interviews were technical and included concepts on computer engineering/database/security.

Interview Questions

• Sorting of a binary search tree, grid game   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY (US)) in June 2019.

Interview

I have attended telephonic technical interview. It took around 60 mins overall. Intially, started with my previous projects and my background work and asked few relevant questions. About 30 mins the discussion went well. After that he asked me about deep copy and shallow copy. And coded with some examples. The experience was good but the process seems to be little tough to get into and I am waiting for the confirmation for next levels.

Interview Questions

• what is the difference between deep copy and shallow copy and implement sample coding on this?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

first you have a telephone screen with a recruiter. Then you have a phone screen with Hiring manager or some dev. After that, you will be brought onsite and interviewed by a group of engineers.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Sent in resume during career fair. Soon got a email to set up on campus interview within a few days. Asked a few questions about previous projects and a few technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

To be hired Microsoft has two stages.

Initially you will be provided with a phone interview (30 mins) or On-Campus interview. You may be asked a technical question. Be prepared to answer questions related to your background/projects.

I passed this stage and in about a week I was notified that I will be moving on to their on-site interview in Redmond. I was given about a months time between the phone interview and my on-site.

Depending on your process, you will either be going to Microsoft Building 111's recruitment event where you are cycled through 4 interviewers between you and 10 - 20 other candidates, or meeting with a recruiter and then going to another building to interview where you will have 3 - 5 interviews, including a lunch interview.

This time I was selected to interview with 3 - 5 people in the Office team. You are not given your team beforehand. The team you are interviewing with may also not be the team you end up working with.

The problems are algorithmic in nature and you are expected to test and clarify requirements. Each interview is about an hour long and between each interview you will be taking a break while the interviews discuss among each other about how you did.

From what I have understood each interviewer has a hire/no hire decision. If you receive 2 no hires out of your first 3 interviews, your day may be cut short. When you reach the 5th interview, (s)he is the hiring manager and ultimately has veto power.

For me it was a rather discouraging experience. I made it to the 5th interview. I felt I performed very well, giving them optimal solutions, and struggling with only 1 and a half of the 6 problems I was asked, but ended up solving them optimally in the end. However, I received the discouraging call later that week that I would not be hired. It didn't make sense to me and I tried to reflect on how I could have done poorly being very familiar with technical interviews at this stage. I felt that what I had to nitpick with myself what I performed weakly on. The most discouraging part is how they will not tell you anything aside from apply back next year. At this stage I'm not even sure how to improve since I do not think I am technically lacking and I did not believe I came off rude or obnoxious during the interview. Just my luck.

Interview Questions

• Swap a doubly linked list in pairs. (This was the problem that I struggled with most and happened to be the first of the two during the last interview - I over thinked it because I had visited a problem the evening before of swapping singly linked list in pairs and had ruined my thought process)   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.