Microsoft Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Microsoft Software Engineer II Interview Questions

Interviews at Microsoft

3.1

Software Engineer-II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Minneapolis, MN (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

Interview took place during COVID-19 quarantine. First stage was a conversational interview via video chat on Microsoft Teams with the hiring manager and another engineer. Second stage was a coding challenge in which a product specification is given and the candidate is tasked with building a frontend interface to match the specification.

The challenge task was simple and straightforward. I felt very confident in my submission but did not receive an offer, nor clear feedback as to what was lacking in my submission. Would have appreciated a direct follow-up with the hiring manager after reviewing the code challenge instead of relaying vague feedback via remote HR recruiter.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep your engineering skills sharp & learn new technologies outside of your work environment?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

Had a phone interview. Was asked about my work experience and then he explained about the job role and team. Explained next steps in the process.
    Was called onsite after two days.
    Flew to seattle, had 3 interviews scheduled. Then had As Appropriate interview with Group Manager

Interview Questions

• Find middle element in Linked List   4 Answers

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me for a specific role and I was scheduled to have the first telephonic interview. I did decently well on the technical and I was invited on site to Bellevue.
    The on site interview was 4 rounds - each 45 minutes + lunch interview. The team mostly consisted of asian people and most of them treated me well. I bottled the first round - The interviewer went on for like 20-25 minutes explaining me about his team structure and how it fits into the business model etc. It was good to learn that but then it took away a lot of my time from the time allotted for the coding question ! Should I have stopped in between? I don't know but it backfired heavily since I couldn't finish the problem successfully. The second one went on well, the only round where I had a productive discussion and was pretty confident that I had done well enough. The third one was a simple coding question but with a lot of follow-up questions like how would you make the code work for any data type, edge cases and all that. The lunch interview was with the same one and he asked me a bunch of scenario based Qs and good practices in sw engg. The last one was pleasant to work with, really enjoyed talking to him and then I was done.

Overall I had a good set of challenges but as always I was not at my best or probably needed a better version of myself ! I knew when the day was over that I would't cut it. Probably the next time I guess ! I'll never give up ! Keep it coming !

Interview Questions

• Technical interview:
      >> How would you count the number of 1's in an integer. The question was not as simple as this. Lot of follow-up questions on how I would test this function, edge cases, different types of binary representations etc.

On site questions:
      >> Linked list - reverse ONLY from nodes begin to end (begin, end) will be integer values
      >> Next right pointers. Did it with both single queue and with two queues q1 and q2 and swapping them. Follow up - how do you cut down on memory.
      >> All positive integers on left, negative on the other side - follow up was to modify it to a templated function
      >> Given a string "Hello World", split all words. This was a programming session on the interviewer's computer (not whiteboard). There will be ONLY space as delimiter.
      If a service can be called up to max of 5 times, how do you make sure it is handled.
      I answered "sempahores".   3 Answers

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

Applied through referral. Got email from recruiter on the same day. Had a technical interview 2 weeks from then. Waiting to hear back. The interview was a positive experience. I interviewed with a team that did some core work at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• An easy question. How would you search a word in a set of documents? There can be millions of documents. I answered and the interviewer built on top of my answers and asked more.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied online and recruiter emailed me that the hiring team is interested in my candidacy. The hiring manager and a senior developer who will take my phone interview, were marked in the Cc of that email sent by the recruiter. I was very excited and asked the Senior Developer to schedule the phone interview ASAP (mistake). I got a call scheduled 5 days later and it was 60 minutes talk on the phone, I was literally sweating from head to toe. It was not that difficult, but he asked me about some of my academic projects which I was not prepared for and posed a system design challenge, I am sure I didn't give him the answer he wanted. He phrased the question in 5-6 different ways, still not satisfied with my answer. Kudos to his patience. Finally we ended the call and he said the recruiter will get back to me soon.

A week later, recruiter emails me saying the hiring team wants to fly me to Seattle for onsite interview. I replied saying I am ready to fly as early as possible (MISTAKE) and I was given the date of last Monday of August month. It was exactly 7 days from the day I got this email.

My interview started at 11:30, the interviewer asked me couple of very simple Data structure questions and I wrote the code on white board, while thinking out loud. After interacting for an hour, we went to cafeteria. Then he brought me back to the building after finishing eating and left me at the next interviewer's office. This person was very honest and told me that I'm the first guy he's interviewing. He had couple of CPP pointer related problems ready on white board and one SQL question. I struggled a bit in solving them, the interviewer helped me a lot. After one hour, I was left at the office of the team manager. She was very sweet and friendly. Talked for 20 minutes about mutual interests and jumped to system design questions. I wasn't able to cover all the scenarios, but talked about the important ones which did matter. She helped me to understand the rest. Then for my surprise, she said her manager might wanna meet me and dropped me off at the lobby and told me I had 30 mins break. After 30 mins, the senior manager took me to her office and it was all about how much I wanna do the stuffs which they are working on and behavioral questions and again a system design question. It was all good and easy to be honest. I sent an email to the recruiter, asking him to thank the team on my behalf.

3 days later, I got an email from the recruiter saying I don't have the required years of experience for the job role and that is the reason hiring manager has decided not to move forward with my candidacy.

Interview Questions

• Simple data structure and memory related questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Interview

I applied through employee referral. After online exam i was called for on site loop. Overall, it was a good experience. Had 5 rounds of interview - all white board sessions.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, arrays, strings, Operating systems and SQL. Other behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in May 2018.

Interview

I have given many Microsoft interviews recently across various groups. So sharing the overall process.

1. Applied in Microsoft Career Site

2. Recruiter - Mostly emails for setting up phone interview and also shares the form to fill. Make sure the salary expectation range is what you want when you get hired, so that its easier to negotiate latter.Some recruiters also calls and shares the from by email. Sometimes they just call and then set phone interview (but i am not sure on this, forgot).

3. Phone interview - either with manager or team member or any developer in that group. If it is Core services group then you will get an invitation to do online test without any phone interview Or if it is an event they also send you the online test.

4. Onsite interview - 4 interviews plus 1 more interview with higher grade people (either its manager's manager or groups big heads). Based on my knowledge if you are interviewed by the 5th person, higher chance of getting a job. But i have been interviewed by 5th person and got job, also once did not get a job. 5th interview is not mandatory, if you don't do well mostly they wont have 5th interview. It also happened to me once.

1st interviewer - Will ask general questions like, how is your current work environment process and also will answer any questions we have about the process. This is more high level interview seem to me like they are checking whether we fit in their system. It seems that they typically likes to hire developers who do development, testing, deployment, monitoring, support (like on call). It is rare i think they will ask you algorithm question, but i have been asked once. This person usually will be a team lead or little bit higher within the team. In this interview you will have enough time to ask questions.

2nd interviewer - will ask algorithm questions and will ask to write on board.

3rd interviewer (lunch interview) - Some times 2nd interview will also be lunch interview. So i am referring here which ever one is the lunch interview. They take you to lunch usually within Microsoft cafeteria, will ask about system design questions. Usually you will see a senior developer here. System design will either be asked at lunch or will be taken to a room after lunch and asked. Sometimes they ask at lunch and also take to the room and ask a little algorithm question. But this interview is mostly focused on system design.

4th interview - will ask algorithm questions and ask to write on whiteboard.

5th interview (optional) - If you have this probability of you hired is high. For me it happened twice, once i got the job, once did not.

I have not attended an event in Microsoft, so not sure about that process.

Interview Questions

• If you practice well leetcode questions you should be good. I did not practice much, so i had to fail many phone interviews before finally getting an offer.   2 Answers

Software Engineer-II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft in February 2018.

Interview

Connected with a recruiter on LinkedIn. Sent her the resume. Since Microsoft was hiring for multiple positions across different teams, the recruiter had sent out my resume to various teams, out of which about 4 teams got back with an interview request. I was asked to pick two. I finished one today. It was for Microsoft Bing Ads.
    Skype Meeting (duration: 1 hour)

Interview Questions

• Can you describe your role in your current project?   1 Answer
    • Any questions for me?(Interviewer)   1 Answer
    • I have a black and white 2 dimensional image. Design a way to compress this image - lossless compression   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online , HR contacted me and explained about the team and requirement .
    first they asked for online test with 3 questions .
    Than they asked to come at MSFT HQ in Redmond .
    All arrangement was flawless and smooth .
    Than onsight , with 4 interview , 45 min each.

Interview Questions

• online test :
      1. Check if parentheses are balanced in an expression .
      2. Delete alternate node in link list.
      3. implement stack .

Onsight :

1. Find longest palindrome sub-string in a given string .

2. Find k-largest number from a huge amount of data which can not be fit in memory .

3. Find duplicate in a huge amount of data which can not fir in memory .

4. Generate permutation of a string .

5. Write program to print out path in NxN maze with obstacle inside it .   2 Answers

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in December 2017.

Interview

First, I participated in an hour-long Skype interview with a member of the team I was applying to. Then I visited Microsoft's Redmond campus for an on-site interview, which took most of the day and consisted of five interview sessions with different members of aforementioned team. Most sessions involved at least one coding question on a whiteboard; coding questions were mainly domain-specific, with a few concerning basic algorithms and data structures. In addition to coding, some of the questions posed by the interviewers were behavioral (for example, I was asked to describe how I would resolve a difference of opinion with a team member before a deadline). I was also given plenty of opportunities to ask questions of the employees.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that reverses an array.   2 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.