Microsoft Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Microsoft

1,116 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was an on-campus interview that was 30 minutes. It was very casual and I was able to ask the interviewer questions about what he does at Microsoft. He seemed unimpressed from the beginning with my resume and didn't even ask me any leetcode questions. He merely asked me questions about data structures.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft in October 2019.

Interview

i applied online through LinkedIn. then I received an email for in - campus interview. it was an average interview. The interviewer had 20 years of experience at Microsoft

Interview Questions

• behavioral questions:
      1. time when you have different idea to approach a problem and your team mate decided to other on other. How did you managed?
      2. time when you were not able to deliver what you had to.

technical question:
      getNext() function will give you a single digit- operator or a digit. when getNext() gives null, it means that expression is finished. you need to evaluate the arithmetic expression and return value.

follow up - do it in constant space.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

A corporate recruiter contacted me through email. After finishing their OTS, I got an invitation to go onsite in Redmond. The entire process took a month. It seems like they want to hire as soon as possible. They extended an offer, which is lower than the average new grad package. Also, they don't consider competing with my other offers and only give three days to make a decision. Most interviewers were friendly and willing to participate in discussions. There was an interviewer who was late and gave perfunctory responses to what I did throughout the whole round. I felt like the interviewer was busy with something else and just wanted me to provide an answer.

Interview Questions

• There were lots of questions related to my background and work experience. They asked very detailed questions about the obstacles I tackled. Also, there were some basic coding questions which are about easy/medium LC level. Some small quick data structure questions were asked from time to time.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

A recruiter had emailed me about the details for an upcoming hiring event. I was asked to submit my resume for an application and then complete an online assessment consisting of 3 questions (LC mediums) within 1 hour. The recruiter got back to me within a week and told me that I will be moving forward onsite to their hiring event in the following month.

The hiring event consisted of four 45-min rounds with four different interviewers and 15 min breaks in between (no lunch). Primarily had LC medium difficulty questions with some OO design sprinkled in (no system design rounds). After the event, I was contacted that I got an offer within a few days of the event.
    Hiring events are different from the traditional interview loop. As long as you pass their bar, you should be extended an offer irrespective of the performances of others.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA (US)) in May 2019.

Interview

The recuiter approached after I had applied for couple of different events. They found resume in the system and asked me for my availability. First step was an online assessment test, which was very easy. Then they flew me over to Washington for an on-site interview.

Onsite consisted of 4 interview round. 3 coding rounds and 1 OOP.
    It was a recruitment drive, so the afternoon batch has 12-15 candidates and same for morning batch as well. The candidates were treated very nicely. The interview questions were easy to medium level from Leetcode. Focus on Data-structures and OOP.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

First one round phone interview then three rounds onsite. Lunch with team member.
    Each round starts with self introduction, then two problems. Interviewers are very nice and the working place is really nice.

Interview Questions

• Merged K sorted Linked List   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

Ultimately, I am here to voice a warning to other developers, and hopefully a wakeup call and initiation for action from Microsoft. The 60 minute online test which I took was stressed to be 3 questions, but instead had 5. The first three were all of the same question form (what is wrong with this code and fix it), but in different languages. It was clear to me these were standins for eachother, and you could choose which one to solve, as the test was only to be 3 questions in 60 minutes, not 5 questions. It would be absurd to have to finish all three of these (c++,typescript,react), especially as the test was also stressed to be language agnostic. Why am I even forced to a language type for these questions in the first place if the exam is language agnostic?

In addition, the test did not actually state that one did or did not have to complete all 3 of these quasi-duplicates, which means I had no way to tell whether this was a poorly stated 3 question exam, or a terribly constructed 5 question exam with an absurd timelimit. I was told I did not answer some questions, of which I did not answer the duplicates of course, and was not passed. Did the person grading it not know it was a 3 question exam? How is that even possible, unless the person was not informed on how to grade the exam properly? Do the people collectively managing this hiring process communicate together about the process itself? On communicating all of these concerns, I have received no feedback, and the recruiter has seemingly ceased communications. How ironic.

Red. Flags.

So many red flags.

This is a major failure on their part, and I cannot support or take part in this process, so I will not be re-applying to Microsoft for any position.

**And in addition to all these issues, the recruiter invited me to an event previously, which I prepared for... but since she invited me to a second event as well, the initial invitation was no longer on the table, which I was not ever informed of. It turns out there is a process of technical screening beforehand, which I was never informed or updated about. So I scheduled for a day at their campus, and that was a bit poor on their part, too.

Interview Questions

• Convert infix expression to postfix expression.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA (US)) in February 2019.

Interview

Telephonic followed by on-site interview. Only covered my projects because it was for a University Grad role. On-site consisted of four whiteboard rounds. Each of those was an algorithms/data structures question.

Interview Questions

• Given a string implement a compression algorithm.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Came in for a 30 minute campus interview. They asked about resume background and then straight into coding question. The guy was about 20-30 minutes late for the interview and gave me only 10 minutes to solve the coding question.

Interview Questions

• Count number of loops in doubly linked list   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied Online. Was contacted for a 30 min on-campus interview. which consisted of Behavioral followed by technical questions.
    After that 4 45 mins on site. All 4 rounds were technical and resume based.

Interview Questions

• Round 1: Resume based and binary tree to linked list
      Round 2: Skyline problem(Leetcode)
      Round3: Design question(identify classes, data structures, code)
      Round4: String manipulation   3 Answers

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.