Uber Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Uber Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Uber

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Uber in October 2014.

Interview

Post resume both at school and at website. Got contacted a week later. Schedule a phone interview and the interview was not confirmed until only a day or two before the interview. I had to reschedule my interview with other companies and i went for four different companies that day. Interviewed with a software manager.

Interview Questions

• Mainly system design problem. Two problems and no coding at all. The interview difficulty varies from person to person and I can feel that they don't have a standard bar so just try your luck.   5 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Uber in November 2014.

Interview

Uber was incredibly kind to me throughout the whole process. I had a phone interview, where we went through a matrix navigation problem to search for an element. In the final round interviews, I got to talk about economics, statistics, and computer science in each of three interviews, allowing me to see a really nice wholescale view of the company.

Interview Questions

• Design a price surge system, both at a high level and the architecture   4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard process.
    1. Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn, followed by short call covering the usual recruiter fluff.
    2. One hour phone call/shared code window with team lead.
    3. Full day onsite split into 1 hour segments 1-1 with team members to do a coding exercise on a whiteboard, and ask questions. Also, lunch with team. Questions focused mainly around computer science and system architecture (i.e. describing the algorithm rather than writing code, knowing the big-O complexity, etc.)
    4. Canned rejection email from recruiter

There were some common traits amongst the team. One of these was that they all graduated recently from the same two top engineering schools. They were friendly during lunch, but during the interview session there was a more serious tone - almost spite - as if to see how I handled having my competence questioned.

Overall it was a well organized, thorough process. I would have taken an offer given the reputation of the company.

Interview Questions

• Design a distributed system for sorting of large files.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber in September 2014.

Interview

I had a recruiter reach out to me expressing interest in having me meet with the team. I did a phone screen with the hiring manager, a coding exercise, and then had a full day of on-site interviews. The hiring manager was very nice and enjoyable to speak with, however, the rest of the team was pretty awful. Folks would smirk when they didn't like your answer or thought they had "gotten your goat" so to speak. Another time I had an interviewer completely disinterested and checking his phone for minutes at a time while I was answering his questions. A lot of the folks hadn't looked at my resume before speaking with me and didn't have a copy when speaking with me. I've interviewed at quite a few companies over the course of my career and Uber is far and away the most unprofessional and worst experience I've had. You can sense they are growing quickly and potentially hiring bodies more than quality candidates. To add insult to injury, the Uber driver that brought me to the interview talked about how terrible Uber had gotten over the course of the few years he'd been a driver for them and somewhat eerily we passed under a sign on the freeway announcing an upcoming protest at the Uber office. Yikes!

Interview Questions

• It's just basic algorithms stuff, can you sort through this, memory management techniques, etc. Nothing particularly difficult.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

The most responsive and open interview process I have ever been involved with. From the very beginning I was given all star help and guidance. Began with a quick talk about the company and my background, aka the initial screening. This was followed by a coding challenge, unless I already had public code I preferred they look at. I enjoy a good challenge so I chose one of theirs: a full stack single page web application. After a week, I submitted and they had a single day turn around to review the entire project! The following day was a technical overview of my experiences. Later the SAME day, I was informed I was invited to an onsite at HQ. I was to front the bill for travel, but their expense reimbursements process is painless. They ultimately pay for everything. The onsite I will describe only as a pleasure and a challenge to respect their process.

Interview Questions

• An architecture question   3 Answers
    • A problem solving question   1 Answer
    • A coding/data structures challenge   1 Answer
    • A one on one with the manager for a culture fit.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations were available but limited, as their compensation is highly competitive...no other offer I had could beat it. Relocation assistance is considered a bargaining chip.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2013.

Interview

When I was hired the company was small so this is less relevant, but I did a take-home challenge and then one day of in-person interviews, followed by a quick half-day cultural fit interview (at that point I'm pretty sure they were going to make an offer).

Interview Questions

• The take-home challenge was good - emphasis here is on owning a full stack for a service, and this was the first time I had written an API using Flask.   3 Answers

Negotiation

I asked for 20% additional stock options and I got them.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume, contacted by recruiter 2 months later (this is because I stupidly didn't tell a friend I was applying so I didn't get referred. If you know someone there, get a referral!). Had a phone interview with recruiter about what I'm looking for and experienced in.

Skipped the technical phone interview because I knew people there, so I went straight to the on-site interview the next week. Technical interview was fair, not as difficult as I expected. I never claimed to be a pythonista as my experience is in C, but I can write python, so maybe they took it easy on me when I wrote some non-pythonic code.

Coding questions included string manipulation and graph traversals, pretty simple code but enough to gauge your algorithmic knowledge. Had one design question. Technical questions included trivia about working in a terminal and core computer science or programming language fundamentals. Afterwards had an open ended discussion with the hiring manager (now my manager) about Uber's system architecture.

Contacted by the recruiter a day or two later with an offer, and started 2.5 weeks later

Interview Questions

• Design an API for a service, then layout how much data your service will hold and how many machines it needs. I was purposefully rushed by the interviewer to design this, so there wasn't time to design something great.   3 Answers

Negotiation

Yes. Go for equity.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process has two parts: a phone interview an 3 to 4 onsite interviews. I have passed the phone one (one big coding question) and I am waiting for the second round. You absolutely need to know your data structures and basic algorithms, but other than that its all about practice and a bit of luck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Contacted the recruiter and soon got a phone call from the company. After 3 phone screens in the less than 10 days, I was scheduled for an onsite. They agreed to reimburse for the costs but since the interview they have been mute.

The onsite interview was supposed to be with 5 people, but it was cut short to only 4. The excuse was that the final interviewer had something emergent came up. In hindsight it seems they already decided not to hire, even though I thought I did relatively well.

Most of the interviewer seems very professional, except one, whose body language and facial expression was saying that I was wasting her time.

The recruiter was silent after the interview until I pinged her for an update. She told me that I was not a fit because the team was looking for a very specific candidate.

In hindsight, the statement from the recruiter and from some other reviewers cannot be more true: the company is looking for VERY SPECIFIC skill set and is not looking for anything remotely like a generalist. The position I applied for was in mapping and logistics and they seem to expect me to know all the algorithms in computational geometry. My friends who were hired by a different team in the company was hired because he knew exactly what the team was looking for. It looks like people were hired to solve problems that already have and not the ones that will come up in the future.

In other words, the company's hiring demeanor is very short sighted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

The only reason I am writing this review is because I am still fighting with Uber account payables to get back the money I spent for my travel,hotel and meals.Yes,Uber do not make these arrangement, you have to make your own arrangement and then hope that you will get your money back.I was interviewed before by Amazon and it was a nice experience when it comes to Interview arrangements,but with Uber, I never expected such a bad experience.
    On interview front, it was a easy, unorganized interview.They don't ask you very tough technical questions but rather its more like a discussion to see if the candidate is a cultural fit in the team they are interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• No difficult question.All the questions were open ended like how would you design netflix,online spreadsheet, tell me about a challenging situation/issue in your current/past project etc   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.