Uber Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Uber Software Engineering Interview Questions

Interviews at Uber

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I was in Pittsburgh. After a phone interview with HR talking briefly about my background, I was scheduled an onsite interview. Both are tech interview and each takes 1 hour.

Interview Questions

• 3 Coding questions in the first round. Background knowledge in the second round.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

*Recruiter Call*
    - Recruiter started the call by laughing at me repeatedly. They kept on attempting to say my name and then started laughing. When they caught their breath, stated "Sorry, I'm not laughing at you. I'm laughing because I keep on butchering your name." Later in the call, recruiter made fun of how long Google's interviewing process took.

*Bar Raiser*
    - Interviewer did not show up at start time. After 6 minutes, I notice someone is waiting outside so I go outside. They walk in and apologize saying they didn't know they were the first interviewer.

*1st Algo Interviewer*
    - Interviewer again does not show up to interview. I have to email my coordinator to see where my interviewer is. After 20 minutes, the interviewer rushes into the room
    - Interviewer is unprepared and unaware of what interview they should be conducting. Specifically they mention that it is "bar raiser" interview several times, and I have to correct them (I show them the paper with the interview schedule).
    - Interviewer pauses and quickly think of a problem on the spot. I am able to start work on it because I’ve covered the topic before. Any person unfamiliar with this problem would not be able to work on it because the problem description was stated in 30 seconds of rushed, broken, and hard to understand English.
    - Interviewer directs me to use code signal site but we switch to whiteboard because they are unable to get it to work.
    - Interviewer gets phone notifications during the interview and appears distracted. I talk for large amounts of time without any communication or interaction from the interviewer side. I ask them if they are following me to ensure they are listening to me. Interviewer is glued to their phone several times while I’m explaining my solution. (I believe interviewer was getting messaged by someone at work or maybe paged for an issue)

*2nd Algo Interviewer*
    * Interviewer walks in with a paper and starts to read from it. The problem involves matrix multiplication, and since I am not too familiar with matrix multiplication, I ask how matrix multiplication works. The interviewer pauses, pulls out their phone to check the internet on how matrix multiplication works for 5 minutes, and then explains it to me. I suspect they don't understand the problem fully. They confirm this during our interview by casually mentioning they do not know the optimal solution to the problem they are asking.
    * Again the code signal site does not work during our loop. Interviewer tries to switch to hackerrank but are unable to get that to work too. We switch to sublime text on my computer.
    - They asked a follow up question (can you speed up if the matrix is sparse). I struggled and the interviewer gave me a hint. Unfortunately when I reviewed the problem later, the hint was false; I believe they hadn't read the problem notes correctly. At the end of the interview they gave me the correct hint by suggesting I think about more efficient data structure to store the matrix. However, it was too late to come up with a solution at this point.
    - The interviewer suggested that the runtime complexity of a product of two numbers is faster than a hash table lookup. I believe this is incorrect.

All of my the interviewers were unprepared and there technical issue with Uber's interviewing tools. I also got little to no time to ask questions during the technical interviews due to all of the issues.

*Recruiter onsite follow up*
    - During the follow up call, the recruiter mentioned they had mixed news. Most of the feedback was positive, but the system design interviewer felt they didn't have enough information to assess me. The team was passing, but they wanted me to come back in for a system design interview and if that went well they would find another team for me.
    - At this point I was completely confused. If the system design interviewer didn't feel they had enough inputs to assess me, that means every technical interviewer in my loop failed as an interviewer.
    - The recruiter starts laughing uncontrollably during this call again when I voice concerns about impending deadlines. This time it occurs after I state that I am at hiring committee Google and might not have time to come back to interview the recruiter starts laughing again at me: "hahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAAhahaha. You are totally not going to get an offer from Google in time for your deadlines. hahahhahahahaHahahahaHahaha”. The recruiter states matter of factly that Google and Amazonare too slow and would not make the deadline I have with another company. Note the recruiter was incorrect, both Google and Amazon gave me offers by the exact date they promised.

This process felt like I was on a prank show where Uber was seeing how they could far they could go by insulting me before I would walk away from the company. This was one of the worst first experiences I've had in my decade long career in tech.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer couldn't explain in clear english, but I got a topological sort problem (tasks and dependencies   1 Answer
    • The interviewer didn't understand how matrix multiplication worked, but asked that I code a function that does matrix multiplication. The follow up question was is there any way you can make this more efficient if the matrix is sparse (lots of zeros)   1 Answer
    • Design an a/b experimentation service for engineers to use to help do split testing   Answer Question

Software Engineer() Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber in March 2020.

Interview

Two interviews, one about the project itself and my research, and one focused on coding. Interviewers where nice and capable, and the process itself was fun.

The coding question was relatively simple, the discussion on complexity and details was interesting.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Two rounds about previous projects, one round talk to HM, one round talk to bar raiser which is more like behavior questions, one round coding. I explained the projects again and again to different interviewers. Maybe they evaluate them in different aspects.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous projects. How do you explain ML to someone who doesn't know ML?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Uber (Charlottesville, VA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

The interviewer ran down my resume and asked some questions about my projects. And then I got a coding problem to solve. I can choose the language I like. The coding problem is related to dynamic programming.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Uber (Philadelphia, PA (US)).

Interview

Fun and Interactive to be in. Stimulated thought process through coding and behavioral questions. Make you feel comfortable at all times. Prepare and brushen up your algorithms, and coding skills.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uber in December 2019.

Interview

The introduction and behave questions are fine. Interviewer asked something about my resume and high level technical stuff happening in the company. Technical part is not easy, I was given a medium level question but didn't solve it.

Interview Questions

• Solve an equation in string with two variables x and y, with x given, solve y.
      Only +, - and multiplication in form of 'kx'.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Seattle, WA (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

It takes almost 1 month. I made the appointment for the interview twice because the first time the recruiter told me there is no one can interview me after I submitted the appointment 2 weeks later. The total interview is 45Min, just one technical question.

Interview Questions

• Add a task, able to find what added, and can delete tasks.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Uber (Pittsburgh, PA (US)).

Interview

Uber ATG has probably has the worst recruiting process. It's painfully slow. After passing the initial phone screening, it took them 4 weeks to find an onsite team I could interview with. The recruiter didn't care to send me interview prep material and information about the team I was interviewing with. After numerous requests, I finally got a reply two days before the interview. Now, I am waiting to hear back. It has been a few weeks and not a word from the recruiter about their decision.
    About the interview process - I had a phone screen and an onsite. Onsite consisted of 5 interviews - one with manager, one was a culture fit interview, two code and one system design. I found all interviewers to be very nice and polite.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Palo Alto, CA (US)) in September 2019.

Interview

This is for a new grad software engineer role. I did a 1 hour phone screen with an engineer, and then did an onsite interview, which consisted of 4 coding interviews. A week later, they followed up to do a hiring manager interview, which was background focused. The process was mostly fine, although one of the interviewers was really difficult to work with.

One thing to notice was that people didn't really have a good answer to the "how's Uber morale doing given the recent firings? " which is a little troubling (although not unexpected).

Interview Questions

• LRU Cache
      Construct binary tree from IOT and PrOT
      IOT iteratively
      Removing dups from a list   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.