H&M Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at H&M

1,795 Interview Reviews

2.5

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (San Diego, CA (US)) in September 2014.

Interview

Largely based on operational productivity - the interviewer hardly seemed interested in who I was as a person, a leader or results driver. Strictly intersected in how fast you can process shipment and makes sure it gets out on the floor - I wouldn't want to shop for that kind of company.

Interview Questions

• How many units per hour did you process shipment?   1 Answer

Stock Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at H&M.

Interview

Was a group interview. They had some team building exercises that they had us do as well. I think they wanted to see who would be the most vocal or works well with a team.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Washington, DC (US)) in May 2016.

Interview

I first went through a phone screening, then met with two store managers. We went out for coffee and the interview was very relaxed and I did most of the talking. They were very impressed, so much that they offered me a dept. manager interview instead of visual. I moved forward to the third (management) interview. It was a group interview and different to say the least. I received a call about a week later, it was from another store manager. He asked me to come in for an offer. So far this was the third location that I traveled to. He gave me an offer , and said he would get back to me within two weeks and that I should give me current job my notice. After two weeks I received another call from yet another location. I was given two days to prep for training (which was in another state btw) I received the call on Friday and training started on Monday.

Everything with training went well until my second week!!!! That's when I was told by a trainer that my training was PASS OR FAIL!! Let me also add that this said trainer had NEVER trained anyone before.

Basically they used me for 2 months to do work in this store. It wasn't even my assigned store!! Throughout my training I was constantly reminded that I could fail. I did more sales floor work then training and when I voiced this to my trainer it only made things worst!

Long story short they put so much pressure on me that I asked to go back to the original position that I applied for. I was told that I would have to go through the hiring and application process all over again. However they did offer me a part time sales adviser position.....what a slap in the face. I have over 20 years of retail experience , 15 visual and 5 years management.

At least 9 out of 10 reviews from H&M complain about FAVORITISM!! In my two months with this company I found out the hard way. If they don't like you they just don't like you. Thank God I followed my intuition, and pretty much started looking for other employment by my fifth week. This was by far my worst experience ever in my career. I feel they are dishonest and should disclose the pass or fail process well before they make you an offer. Surprisingly I felt immediate relief when I walked out after the sales advisor talk. I also recommended the company to other friends, but later told them not to waste their time. Sadly this whole ordeal has left such a nasty taste in my mouth, I loved H&M as a brand and that's what initially inspired me to apply. AlsoI found the values that they have posted on their employment website super inspiring. However it's all a dream, lies and a trap. No company would ever treat someone the way that they've treated me and many others whose reviews touch on the same topics

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for H&M   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation was fairly easy they gave me what I asked for

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Denver, CO (US)) in September 2015.

Interview

It went very easy. It took about 4 weeks from initial phone screening to offer. I was referred to apply from a friend who knew the Colorado HR manager. (So I knew someone who knew someone on the inside). After talking with him , 20 min phone interview). I was asked to schedule a real 1:1 interview with the regional HR manager from Vegas. The 1:1 interview (second interview) was over an hr and it went very well. After it was over. She asked me to fill out a background check form. That got submitted. Almost two weeks later, I got a call and was asked to come for a third interview. Since the store isn't open yet. We met at a hotel. The third interview was with another manager and the new store manager. They asked questions to get know me, my education, my work experience. After we talked for over 45 mins. I was offered the job. Woot woot. My advice. Be yourself, prepare, and do your homework. If you have a portfolio from college. Use it and let them keep it.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between styling and dressing the store ?   2 Answers

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in June 2010.

Interview

PHONE INTERVIEW AND TWO IN PERSONS.

Negotiation

I was actually surprised at the amount they offered me. It was two dollars over my asking. so I didn't negotiate. But i have heard from others that negotiating is difficult with this company.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Charlotte, NC (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online for a store opening in Charlotte NC. I forgot I had even applied until I received a call two weeks later wanting to setup a phone interview. The phone interview went fine, just basic questions about my visuals experience and why H&M would be a right fit for me. About a week later I was asked to do an in person interview, which went horribly. I showed up on time but didn't get interviewed until 45 minutes later. The interview was held by the regional hiring manager because the store manager was busy with another interview. She proceeded with asking me more visual merchandising questions, and asking me about how I would handle certain situations. After leaving the interview, I could just tell I wasn't gonna get the position because of how it went. The next day she called and said I didn't get the job and they were moving on to other candidates.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a challenging personality?   1 Answer

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at H&M (Charlotte, NC (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

Researched ahead of time about this company. Anxiously awaited this job, this company, this opportunity. Was selected for initial interview. Followed up, and was selected for a second interview. This is the odd part-then was basically told I was not to be considered as I was not qualified enough. It was the oddest thing-why bother with a second interview?

Interview Questions

• This whole thing had and has me puzzled. They asked very vague questions, and answered just as holistically...but perhaps they wanted something more detailed? Still puzzled by all of it.   1 Answer

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at H&M in November 2014.

Interview

The process took 6+ weeks and a total of 4 interviews. The first was an initial 10 minute phone interview. Fairly routine, easy questions. At the end of the phone interview, I was asked to come for an in-person interview the next week. This interview took almost 2 hours, and was with 3 different members of management. This interview was tough, as the people were pretty cold and it was an awkward interview where they asked me a question off a piece of paper & sat in silence as they wrote down what I was saying. It was intimidating that they were so unfriendly. Something that stood out compared to other companies that I've interviewed with. A series of questions about my background, experience, and walking around the store to critique the displays and windows. The racks were way overcrowded and the store looked chaotic, and it was challenging to give feedback because I didn't want to be too negative, but I also wanted to be honest. A week later, I was called back for a 3rd interview with the store manager. This was a pretty short, easy 30 minute interview. Again, I had to critique the windows and in-store displays. They called back a few days later and asked me to come in for a 4th interview the next week. The final interview was with a recruiter and district management. They went on for awhile about H&M's future as a company and their roles in the company. After this, I had 15 minutes to pull 2 outfits for a mannequin based on an inspiration photo of looks they had given me. This task ended up being difficult as the store was a complete mess, busy with foot traffic, and it was hard to locate items on the floor in only 15 minutes of time. I dressed the mannequin and was told to expect a call or email within the next two weeks. Exactly two weeks later I received a rejection email. Frustrating experience and took way too long.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time when you had conflict with another member of management?   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Interview

I applied for a position with H&M. I received an email detailing that I was not a candidate due to the fact that they are seeking "energetic" people. And my qualifications did not match. I have had many years of experience in the field of which they advertised for in this position. However, I may not be in my 20's...they clearly have age discriminating practices company. I am appalled at their response and would never endorse anyone to apply for any position as they certainly do not value experienced professionals.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at H&M (New York, NY (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy. It was initially split between two people, where one asked questions more about your character and the other asked about situations that could occur on the job. The interview took place on skype. The first interview was a phone call over Skype and the second was a video call.

Interview Questions

• What was one situation where you didn't have any resources to use but you had to complete a task?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.