Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.0
Zillow CEO Spencer Rascoff
Spencer Rascoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "We also get a lot of vacation time which is nice, as Zillow really cares about it's employee's Work/Life balance" (in 87 reviews)

• "Free food catered in at least once a week" (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very little work/life balance in sales positions" (in 19 reviews)

• "Upper management turns a blind eye to employees who do not sell with integrity" (in 13 reviews)

"Awesome workplace - a lot of distractions though."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, core values, opportunities for growth, communication,

Cons

Too much complaining from entitled co-workers..so many are just aren't focused on the work we are there to do but rather all of the SJW stuff happening.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the affinity networks, like other company's have started to do, they are encouraging separation and some groups are not all welcoming to those different than they are.

3 Jan 2019 – CPO

Thanks for your review - we appreciate hearing your thoughts and I am glad you are having a positive experience at Zillow Group. The affinity networks are important to ZG and have become an vehicle... More

"Best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Ces in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Ces in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love Zillow and working for this company. The people here are amazing and the culture is great, as well as unbelievable health benefits. I love how there is a focus on ensuring employees have ample opportunity for growth, development and learning. We also get a lot of vacation time which is nice, as Zillow really cares about it's employee's Work/Life balance. I have every intention of staying and growing with this awesome company.

Cons

I have nothing but positive things to say about this organization.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! :)

3. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Tons of fun.

Cons

Small company that is just starting.

"Customer Service"

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Centennial, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Centennial, CO (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really nice benefits. PTO, healthcare, pay, and free snacks/drinks

Cons

The work was not fun and grueling. Felt like the red-headed stepchild of company as we were not allowed to participate in most activities.

Advice to Management

Keep your teams small unless you absolutely need a position. The growth in the department did not coincide with the company's goals so you ended up alienating a lot of people

"Grateful but had to move on.."

Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started at Zillow in 2016. Premier Agent Concierge was new and I thought it was innovative. I wasn't thrilled at working in a call center environment but the benefits, pay and people outweighed that. The biggest reason why I stayed at Zillow is because of the top notch benefits and the people. I would say about a third of the managers I had were excellent leaders. They kept me there. They didn't just say they valued my opinions-- their actions SHOWED me they did. Ultimately, Zillow gave me experience in a corporate environment and helped me develop skills that I now use in my dream job. For that, I am grateful!

Cons

The first year in PAC was great. People had their complaints but I realized that every company had their office politics. However, as the company grew FAST-- things changed. Management changed and department moral declined. I would go to all hands meetings and Spencer and Amy would deeply inspire me. Then I would go back to a department that felt so separate from the rest of the company. We weren't included in many functions that the rest of the company participated in. I realize that business needs dictate scheduling but there is always balance. Management spent so much time trying to convince us that we were no different than any other department when they could have exercised humility and OWNED IT. WE WERE DIFFERENT and you know what? That is okay. All I ever wanted was for management to admit that. Also, I understand that mistakes are made in corporate environments. That does not frustrate me. What frustrated me was that genuine apologies were never made, only excuses. I'm fairly confident I will receive a response to this assuring me that "management did admit when they were wrong!" An apology is not "well, you know, possibly the messaging was not the most effective and we are looking into maybe changing this. However, the reason this happened is because we were in a time crunch and we were doing the best we could with the resources we had." An apology does not include excuses. It is simply, "We are sorry for our actions and we will strive to do better."
    Thankfully, for my last bit of time at ZG-- my team lead kept me engaged. They are the reason I stayed and I am so grateful for their encouragement and effective leadership skills.
    Additionally, leadership was constantly asking for honesty and feedback. So, in skip levels, occasionally, I would speak up. I learned quickly that this was not effective. Generally, the response from management was: "Thank you so much for sharing! However, do you realize how good you have it here? Most jobs didn't have free food and top notch benefits." I must have heard 10 different versions of that answer. Again, I understand that you cannot just allow people to sit and complain without bringing up possible resolutions. I am not suggesting that managers should sit and allow people to vent without end. If your employees are venting in a kind and professional way, as a leader, you should listen and do your best to help them problem solve without making them feel like their thoughts and ideas are not valid. PAC had so much potential to be an amazing department (even with scheduling differences and limited access to functions and meetings). Unfortunately, during the time of my recent departure moral was continuing to decline. There are great people in PAC. People who care and who lead with kindness and humility. It is my hope that those people will take action and grab hold of the amazing idea that PAC stemmed from. I genuinely believe that the solution to many of the problems here is honesty and a willingness to be humble when you make a mistake.

Advice to Management

Repeating myself a bit, simply be honest and transparent. During my years in PAC I cannot tell you how many times I heard the word "transparency" but it was almost never supported by actions. The times when I experienced transparency were (oddly enough) when that word was never mentioned. Here is the thing: I realize that there will always be issues to resolve within companies. My biggest ask is that when you have to tell PAC members that they cannot attend an event that the rest of the company will be at or that they can use their break time to quickly pop in-- OWN IT! Don't sugar coat it. It is what it is and I if you are simply open and real about the reality of the situation people will respond much better.

7 Dec 2018 – VP, Client Experience

I'm glad you found the benefits and people to be top notch, and that you found excellent leaders in your management. Our goal is always to create an environment that helps drives great results for... More

"Operations Engineer"

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are treated well, exciting tech.

Cons

Lost some of the culture with growth.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing.

27 Dec 2018 – CTO

Thank you for all your contributions to ZG over your 5+ years with the company. I am glad you felt well treated and the products and technologies were interesting. Growth can be challenging, so I... More

"Where your security career goes to die"

Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Security Engineer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Budget for trainings and conferences, decent RSU grant, "unlimited" PTO

Cons

Imagine being passionate about security and having the entirety of the company you work for absolutely hate having to alter their systems/processes to adhere to industry standard best practice. Imagine stakeholders in other departments doing whatever they can to prevent you from making positive change. Imagine no one believing your "tinfoil hat" theories about attack tools, techniques, and procedures. Imagine being excited to try something new and novel and having no one, and I mean no one, care at all. Imagine being surrounded by developers who are rock stars (and rightfully so) and wanting to be the security version of that, yet slowly realizing there is no desire from leadership to be known for its security prowess the way that Amazon, Google, Netflix, Microsoft, Apple, Airbnb, etc. are. Imagine your passion for security draining day by day, leading you to question your decision to go down that path in the first place, making you truly believe you made a terrible mistake. Welcome to Zillow.

Advice to Management

If you haven't realized that there is a problem, you're not paying attention. As such an "employee-centric" company, this never seemed to apply to the security org. I really do hope that you decide to do something about it.

27 Dec 2018 – SVP, Technolgy

Thank you for your feedback on Zillow Group and the Security team. I have a different view of our execution and culture around security. 2018 was a strong year for the Security team and, as Zillow... More

"Excellent company with a great investment in people"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong focus on personal development
    Living the core values
    Transparent, effective leadership

Cons

Compared to other tech companies, you'll spend a lot more time dealing with messy people data. That's not a con for me, but is a con for others

9 Jan 2019 – Chief Analytics Officer

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback, and I'm so happy that you so readily see our core values demonstrated in daily work life here. We've definitely found that personal development... More

"Great company but a lot of room for improvement"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think Zillow has an amazing upper management team. They are always trying to innovate and improve products. Amazing benefits and the core values of the company are important and help keep employees aligned with what is really important.

Sales comp plan is fair and if you are good at what you do you will be successful and make a really good salary. It’s not for everyone but there are plenty of SEs that can hit numbers and do very well without having to work long hours. Some of the SE managers are really great here and go above and beyond to find for SEs on their teams. In general Zillow hires great people, I’m constantly impressed with the new hires they are bringing in. It’s a positive place to work and the culture is really good.

They do a good job about being inclusive and holding cool events without turning into the obnoxious tech companies with employees partying at work.

The support staff (front desk, facilities, etc.) are awesome and work hard to make sure everyone is taken care of. They are a generous company when it comes to things like health issues.

The newest version of PA is definitely on the right track and if we can be operationally excellent with new initiatives the sky is the limit for Zillow.

Cons

High turnover rate for new SEs. Less than 50% of the SEs hired in my class are still here a year later. However, a lot of them just weren’t doing the work they needed to be successful.

By far the biggest issue facing SEs is lack of good support with sales technology. Consumer facing Zillow tech is awesome and innovative. Consumers love using the website - it’s well designed and accomplishes the company's goals.

I wish I could say the same thing about the tools they give SEs. For a long time we used an old version of Salesforce with an internal tool for prospecting/pipeline management. It lacked common features that would make SEs more successful but at least it worked. Over my first year here though there was really no innovation on any of the tools and communication between sales strategy/operations and sales was non-existent. I reported countless bugs and feature requests - I would try to push ideas up the chain and just reach a dead end.

They’ve recently rolled out a new replacement for a prospecting tool and it’s extremely obvious that they didn’t put enough resources into it. Typos, broken features, bad usability design, etc. It’s not the end of the world - you can still be extremely successful even with the issues but I still find it troubling that we don’t put the same level of care into supporting sales that we do with consumer facing products.

Other small things - way too many pointless morning meetings sapping energy and productivity from SEs. A lot of times it feels like management is holding them to just prove they are working vs. actually providing value. We'll have 45 minute meetings to start our day where we sit there reading an article line-by-line while every SE is zoning out wanting to get back trying to hit quota.

On a daily basis they will have meeting where every SE/BC manager is in a meeting together. When we have a major issue with a customer there is no one to help. Lack of continued training for sales professionals - most of what we learn is self taught or from observing coworkers. The Denver office is also pretty cliquey - most of the mid-management has been here forever is is more focused on climbing the ladder/networking internally vs. rocking the boat and trying to push for innovation.

Advice to Management

Invest money and get smart people in your sales strategy/operations department. Spend more time listening to your sales professionals. The fact that we can't pull a report showing which agents have sold properties in a specific zip code is insane when we have that data available and it just needs someone to build out an API call from the website into the CRM. This one feature would completely change the way SEs prospect.

Get better at communicating with your sales professionals. When bugs are fixed/new features are added for the tools we use we never hear about it.

More transparency in general.

More flexibility in hours - everyone comes in at 7:30 and has a daily 7:30 meeting and works until 4:00 - even if you're calling a PST region.

12 Dec 2018 – Senior Director, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for your review, which is very timely as we prepare entry into 2019. Your angst around the lack of SE efficiency tools has definitely been a real challenge and, fortunately, this week, has... More

"50/50"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part the people are great that work at Zillow. Everyone is always willing to help out new SEs to a certain extent but never allowing them to get to close to teach them all of their secrets.
    Benefits are great
    Pay sounds good until you realize how hard this job actually is.

Cons

Upper management turns a blind eye to employees who do not sell with integrity. Yes they put up big numbers but they are not setting agents up for success. This is why we have had so many agent say “I hate Zillow” the Premier Agent platform works, but if an agent is being told they will get certain things and close X amount of homes in 6 months they expect that... SEs around here will tell agents whatever they want to hear to get the sale just to get a bigger commission check.

Unfortunately this has resulted the SEs who are selling correctly to suffer. It’s getting harder and harder to hit number making the once fun environment and excitement of going to work diminish.

Secondly quota attainment. If you miss 3 months in a row you are fired. Period. Regardless of is you have a YTD of 180% for example. It’s all or nothing. This can put a lot of stress into SEs knowing that if they miss even by $1 they could be fired.

Advice to Management

Really dig into what your front line is doing/saying to agents. Look into employees who consistently put up big numbers. They are the face and voice of Zillow and unfortunately PA is being misrepresented. I know you trust management to take care of this but they have a number they need to hit as well... so they tend to “overlook” this.

Secondly coming up with something different that what we currently have in place for missing quota. It would save a lot of money to focus on the current talent rather than cycle new SEs through training.

For example as long as you have a 3 month rolling average of 85%. We are human, and some months are extremely hard to hit quota. October-December are the hardest. You miss in October and you’ve started a snowball effect... come December you better be looking for a new job

2 Jan 2019 – Vice President, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for the thoughtful review. The people at Zillow Group are great and the primary reason for our success. I am glad to hear your experience reflects a bit of that sentiment. Regarding the... More