Wayfair Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.3
Wayfair CEO Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah
1,187 Ratings
Pros
  • "They give a work life balance that no other company has been able to provide(in 165 reviews)

• "fringe benefits (including free snacks)(in 165 reviews)

Cons
  • "I think our salaries are slightly below average (the price to pay for the work life balance though)(in 66 reviews)

• "sometimes upper management is hard to communicate with(in 57 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great place to learn, be challenged, and develop your career. There are endless opportunities to lead projects, learn from intelligent colleagues, and develop new skills, all in an exciting, very fast-paced environment. You feel supported by senior leadership who actually want to see you succeed and grow and will give you opportunities to lead and drive strategy for the business. Wayfair also has a fantastic... company culture with great work/life balance. We work hard, but we have a lot of fun as well!

Cons

Leveling/titling at Wayfair is a little interesting and doesn't always seem to match with years of experience. Most people seem to come in at the same level, regardless of the prior years of experience they have, and they tend to down-level people quite frequently from where they were at previous companies. That being said, you're given the support and tools to build your career and move up the ladder pretty... quickly.

Wayfair2019-03-12

"Sales and Service consultant"

Current Employee - Sales and Service Consultant in Galway

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly interview Training and Mentoring Benefits and Perks Office Equipment Paid internet Paid holidays

Cons

So far so good, will update in due course

Wayfair2019-07-17

"customer service representative"

I worked at Wayfair full-time

Pros

good management, opportunity to grow inside the company

Cons

stressful job and rude customers

Wayfair2019-09-15
  4. "Wayfair: A great place to begin career in finance"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Galway

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee oriented company. Reasonable expectations and very understanding and supportive low-level management.

Cons

Comparatively low salary. Autocratic strategic direction.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced and qualified staff rather than constantly maintaining headcount with interns.

Wayfair2019-08-29

"The most awful place I have ever worked, horrible company that treat their employees like filth."

Former Employee - Sales and Service Consultant in Limerick, Limerick
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

Absolutely none, nothing good to say about this company

Cons

Abusive customers No support from company or managers Awful work hours could be expected to work a 48 hour wk with no overtime. Treated like you are a robot. Always changing the perimeters the job from one week to another. Left Feeling isolated. Kpi’s that are impossible to achieve. What you are sold in the interview is bs. The worst company I ever worked for, so glad to get out of it.

Advice to Management

Give proper support to your staff, follow through on promises, don’t give them the usual lip service, the American clap trap!

Wayfair2019-09-23

"Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Support

I worked at Wayfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are lovely but big turn over of staff. This means that you stop trying to get to know new people. If you're not looking to progress your career and stop caring about making the customer happy, it becomes much easier and you'll be recognised more. In other words, play the game to get your metrics. Do this and it's fine.

Cons

It is a very tough job between dealing with overly entitled customers and very difficult metrics. The management mainly belongs to the one clique. If you aren't in it you won't progress far in customer care. You'll be promised everything under the sun in meetings about career progression. Don't believe an iota. If you're still wanting to work There. Play the game and good luck to you. The customers can be... awful. I'm was regularly screamed at. I can ignore being spoken down to (as I'm serving them) but I believe many actively tried to be as aggressive as possible in order to bully compensation out of us. Tbh, it often worked.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your buddies or make it less obvious. Don't just focus solely on metrics or talk to the people playing the system. Consider putting a message at the start of the call to say customer aggression will not be tolerated.

Wayfair2019-08-11
  7. "Great foundation for career building"

I have been working at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Easy to settle in, good team atmosphere, provides lots of outings, meetings and other event to look after employees

Cons

Needs Transparency around performance and expectations for your role

Advice to Management

Ensure people know exactly what is expected to get to the next level

Wayfair2019-08-03

"If you take it, opportunity is there!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Galway

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

You have the opportunity to create your own path at Wayfair, but you have to make it known to your manager and to the team you'd like to join. It's a self-directed advancement and development plan at Wayfair, they expect you to take control of your career. It's fun in that way, you can develop your skills to align with other teams, etc. Good community both onsite and virtually, and the negative talk is mostly... loudest amongst a few voices, but doesn't reflect the overall atmosphere in Europe.

Cons

They say the pay is aligned with industry standards, but I would question if being aligned and being the best are the same thing - I think they are not.

Advice to Management

Look at slightly higher compensation and communicating clearly the changes coming down the pipeline so frontline service folks are aware of what's coming.

Wayfair2019-06-25

"Nothing is transparent and front line staff are expendable"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Galway

I have been working at Wayfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people. The general staff are a mixed multi cultural bunch of awesome people.

Cons

There are many. Management are aloof and not engaged and seem either unaware that morale is very low or they don't care. Pay is below the standard considering the continually increasing expectations. Shifts. They keep changing. Communication around changes is either non existent or management blatantly lie to deflect criticism. Any critique is not welcome as numerous staff have been taken aside about being... negative. Regardless of how professional they have remained. A number of managers have adopted the line "drink the kool aid" they've even rebranded to "drink the wayfair koolaid" (which is a reference to a mass suicide). No fewer than 4 managers have used this when staff have tried to share their grievances. Ever changing rules implemented poorly with training not delivered before the changes. Constant critique and patronization. It becomes increasingly difficult to motivate yourself to achieve targets. Completely inflexible with shifts. No routine possible as it is a different shift with different days off every week. I know a number of my colleagues who have families which suffer due to this. A number of people also have had to give up some personal activities as swaps are not always available and management make 0 exceptions. They created a "focus group" for sharing updates on shifts. Every meeting the guys would come out of the meeting and share these positive plans with us, only for this to change every meeting and the promises made have just been overlooked.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate! It is key. Provide external training for your team managers as a lot of these guys are thrown in the deep end. Allow staff a proper forum to share grievances and stop shutting it down. Follow up with your promises. Be honest and transparent. Right now, staff does not trust you. If you increase the workload and the expectations of your staff, the compensation should reflect that.

Wayfair2019-07-21

"Sales consultant"

I worked at Wayfair full-time

Pros

Manager was great, thankless task of continuous unrealistic goals. Great work colleagues just trying to make a living ( but slowly realizing that this is a bad dream... control control, monitor, monitor, caution, caution, big brother is watching )

Cons

Some horrific rude and ignorant, self entitled customers, saw it as they duty and right of passage to belittle the sales consultants. Wayfair didn’t make it easy either with their ever changing rules, preventing calling courier companies, extending the time lines between items going missing to being replaced. Constant monitoring through listening in on the phone to looking through personal instant messages sent... between colleagues to keep the momentum up. Cautioned for such banter.. this job could destroy you mentally if taken too seriously... if you need to put on weight from lack of movement then this is the job for you. unfortunately it’s like all the other online consultancy jobs out there... Pay is total crap and almost impossible to get holidays when requested... it’s put me off online shopping for good

Advice to Management

Invest in your own couriers so responsibility can be brought back to the company with regards ownership of deliveries and the state they arrive in... that has been the biggest hurdle. pay your staff properly.. some of the trainers need to get a life. We are all human dealing with humans ( mostly ) over the phone after all Have more realistic work hours and time tables. Some people can’t work weekends others... prefer to do so! Advertise accordingly instead of surprising new staff after a month of training... god speed those in wayfair that have no choices in life x

Wayfair2019-07-14