Cover image for Paycom

3.7
Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison
2,012 Ratings
Pros
  • "1 health insurance for myself is pretty nice(in 93 reviews)

• "Incredible opportunity for personal and professional growth(in 80 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a challenge for certain departments during periods of peak business(in 187 reviews)

• "No work life balance, manager sees you as a robot(in 47 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years
      Featured Review

Once in a life time opportunity

11 Mar 2022 - INSIDE SALES REGIONAL MANAGER in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paycom has changed my life personally, professionally, and financially so much in the time that I've been here. We are extremely fast moving which means tons of opportunities to move up within the organization. The culture is great, the pay is great, the benefits are great. Don't pass up on the opportunity!

Cons

It's a hard job and not everyone can do it. If you give it the time it requires to learn the job, I don't believe there is a better place to be than at Paycom!

26 people found this review helpful

Paycom Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience and for your dedication! We’re happy you’re enjoying your career at Paycom and appreciate you being part of the team.

2. 2.0

Turns out "We Care" wasn't true

15 Dec 2022 - Deployment Engineer in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers Great lower management.

Cons

Doesn't care about their employees as they shift from WFH to in office. Employees where told after signing up for benefits (so unable to change things like childcare FSA) that they would need to find childcare within a month and they would be returning to office with no compensation. These same employees had been told many times that we were permanently 1/4 WFH. They had turned down other job offers, bought houses with long commutes, furnished their home office on their own dollar, and much more. I would say leadership doesn't care but the truth is this is straight from the CEO and he is the issue here. On top of that, there is an issue with no forward movement, low salary compared to industry standards, and many other things.

90 people found this review helpful

Paycom Representative

Paycom knows our strongest assets are our team members who have built this company into the industry leader it is today. With so many innovative, new projects on the horizon, we're looking forward to bringing our last group back to campus. This unites our teams by providing an environment that ensures you and other employees are best equipped to succeed. Our team members' well-being is a top priority, and we want to make sure you have the opportunity to ask questions and talk through concerns. Reach out to us through our internal channels like Ask Here or hrmgmt@paycomonline.com, and one of your HR professionals will be in touch.

3. Join the Paycom team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Sales company masquerading as a tech company

13 Dec 2022 - IT Analyst I in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun coworkers Workload isn’t too crazy, but isn’t great. Decent room to grow

Cons

Corporate acts like they’re in the Stone Age Pulled entire company back from WFH causing mass exodus for no reason All suggestions fall on deaf ears to management Some departments are insanely over worked Cannot fill slots because pay is low for industry and lack of remote options going forward, so all tech departments understaffed

83 people found this review helpful

Paycom Representative

We understand everyone processes change differently and that change can be difficult. Beginning in August 2021, we began slowly returning to the office and have seen tremendous momentum from the groups who returned to our campuses, which has helped our people be more successful. For the company we are and the goals we’ve set, this is the best decision to continue our rapid growth. Please reach out through our internal channels like Ask Here or email hrmgmt@paycomonline.com if you need any additional support.

5. 2.0

Impulsive Top-Down Leadership Decision-Making

16 Dec 2022 - Software Quality Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team members you work with are truly caring and passionate about helping each other get the job done.

Cons

It's with a heavy heart that I have to write this, not only for myself but to shed light on the many people that have been negatively impacted by the top-down leadership style at Paycom. So many employees were loyal to paycom in the tech department; they were ready and willing to work the many years required to retire with the company. In return, the company which relies so heavily on its tech department, decided to provide a mere month's notice to its tech employees to go from a hybrid (one day in the office per week) to a full-time office environment. When the employees cried out for help - pleading for more time to make arrangements to make this change possible - the company responded with "use your PTO," "no, we won't be paying a penny more to you to ease the financial burdens of this change," or "no relocation assistance will be provided." It's difficult to express how uncaring or cruel the company's response was to these pleadings for assistance. These employees wanted to continue to working for Paycom - no one wanted to be forcibly pushed out. All employees in the tech department were promised the terms of employment would remain the same. Perhaps if we had more time to make this change possible, it wouldn't have been so detrimental to our lives of us and our families. To top it all off, the company made this abrupt change in the middle of the holiday season. Even if employees wanted to find other employment, it is almost as if Paycom made this change purposely during a time of the year it is next to impossible to schedule interviews. In addition to Paycom refusing to compensate it's employees an amount comparable to the increase in commute costs, daycare costs, insurance costs, etc., they pay approximately 20-25% less than the national average salary commensurate with role and experience level. Many employees excused this because they were loyal to Paycom and believed in the company. Now, not only did the company completely break the trust of its employees, they are essentially giving demotions in pay to its entire tech department by not compensating for the increase in expenses due to this recent change. It is the EMPLOYEES that built paycom that are paying the ultimate price. And Paycom's responses continue to be "thank you for your comment. We want you to know we hear you," but they do absolutely nothing to properly act and show the employees that built Paycom that they (leadership) really do care. There is little else I can say... I'm speechless that something like this has happened. All I can do is advocate for the team members that I care so deeply for - we are the ones that are suffering. We are the ones that have to uproot our lives because Paycom decided to ONLY give one month's notice. It really could have been different. It could have been done the right way. Unfortunately, thought was not given in this situation. It was an impulsive decision. Thank you for reading.

77 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Ask Your Recruiter Everything.

14 Dec 2022 - Software Quality Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

$1 health insurance, great direct team atmosphere, caring direct supervisors, 401k

Cons

Tight deadlines with last minute communication, upper management making decisions that impact 1000+ people without any forethought, lack of communication from upper management to direct leadership, being promised a hybrid schedule during the hiring process to have it ripped away during a 30 minute zoom call with the chat disabled (with a month notice during the holidays), overall toxic culture within multiple departments, pay is not within the actual market range for the position. The work life balance that has been achieved with a hybrid schedule will be lost due to no longer being in office 5 days a week.

77 people found this review helpful

7. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Ok

15 Dec 2022 - Software Developer (SD3) in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good WLB. - Good for freshers and out of school grads.

Cons

- No transparency. - Management doesn't care about employees. - No reasoning for lot of things they do - doesn't make sense for why they do things the way they do. - Some people in upper level seem like they don't know what they're doing.

48 people found this review helpful

8. 2.0

Betrayal

14 Dec 2022 - Software Quality Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

I genuinely enjoy my job at Paycom. That’s the only reason for me giving it two stars. I have the most amazing coworkers. My direct leaders are great. I absolutely love the work I do and the projects I get to be on. Benefits are great and affordable.

Cons

Upper management cannot be trusted. We were promised, for three years, that we would never go back to working full time in office from a hybrid schedule. We are more productive at home and I think our revenue and stock prices make that apparent. Yet upper management tells us in a department wide zoom call that we “aren’t collaborating enough” and that we are “slipping in some areas” and that one of the main factors for the decision is “to increase productivity”. We are being given a month to completely change our lives. Many people have built lives and families around being remote and for a company to strip that away at a moments notice without any support or compensation is just disgusting. Not to mention the fact that they have absolutely no data to back up their claims. It really just seems like someone at the top had a bad day and threw a tantrum and just said “You know what would make me feel better? Ruining lives”. We don’t even have the space to bring everyone back. Which further tells me this was a reactive decision and not a planned, thought out one. I’m really considering my future with this company. I’m not sure I want to continue working somewhere where the upper management make volatile, rash decisions without any regard for the employees those decisions affect. I feel betrayed by a company I once loved. I was lied to for three years. It’s just really sad.

73 people found this review helpful

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Good for a first job, until you realize there are way better options

18 Dec 2022 - Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

$1 healthcare, catered lunches, and good first job to get experience. Great pay and bonuses if you work in certain departments that the leadership favors.

Cons

They pride themselves on recruiting fresh out of college when students don’t have any real comparison to how a company should treat their people, so they get a good few years out of you until you realize “wait… I should be treated like I matter?!” Cons? how much time do you have? They don’t value your opinion or ideas unless they agree with it. The pay is way lower than it should be. Work load is unmanageable for most (probably because everyone keeps leaving?) You get hounded to come back to work after a death in the family (I’m talking a couple of days… they’re all heart. Oh and you better make sure you use PTO). Only their favourite departments get bonuses despite the fact that the company is making money over fist each year. How about a company wide raise for all the profit your employees helped you make? Nah, have a park and some ‘swag’ instead…. Ok thanks… Despite claiming to be an industry leader you want your workforce on-site… even though the whole idea of the company is to be online and accessible from anywhere. They stopped doing exit interviews because they didn’t like the negative feedback. They ask employees (myself included a few years back, though I didn’t do it) to post 5 star fake reviews to improve their image. Promises promotions and raises and then they are taken away without a valid reason as to why. Products, features and updates are rushed out the door without the time to fully implement them or explore options because they just want to sing and dance about all the new development, despite the whole team being against the idea. CEO has no grasp on reality when it comes to tech. He is a salesman, plain and simple, which is fine if he would listen to his experts but he doesn’t. Leaders put the fear of death in you by saying he will randomly fire you on the spot if he has a bad day… great leader there. Mandatory overtime which sometimes results in some departments working 80+ hours a week. I don’t even need to mention the recent WFH shenanigans, there were enough cons before this happened. This is just the icing on the cake and people outside of the bubble are finally seeing their true colors. Over a decade of time spent there and when I decided to leave on good terms for a completely different opportunity/industry I was pretty much shunned during my notice period. I could go on but you get the point. Paycom’s people don’t matter, only the profit they make and their stock value does.

55 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Upper management does not care about their employees

18 Dec 2022 - Software Quality Assurance Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

$1 healthcare, the people you directly work with are great

Cons

Culture, salary, upper management, office setup (broken equipment, cubicles hidden from sunlight)

53 people found this review helpful
    11. 3.0

Feeling Disappointed in Paycom Management

15 Dec 2022 - Quality Assurance Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

They provide good benefits and decent pay over time (not when you first start though, takes a while to get the good pay)

Cons

It takes years to level up in your position, they are not super transparent when it comes to changes in the company until it is too late to voice your opinion on how it effects you or those around you.

36 people found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,844 Reviews
    </>Embed

Paycom Reviews FAQs

Paycom has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 2,953 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at Paycom to a friend and 68% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Paycom employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Paycom. This rating has decreased by -8% over the last 12 months.

69% of Paycom employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Paycom 3.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Paycom Job Seekers