Holiday Extras Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.0
Holiday Extras CEO Matthew Pack
Matthew Pack

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Remote and flexitime working; if you want to work from home you can and choose hours that suit you home life (in 16 reviews)

• The chance to personally develop through training is available and the flexibility of work-life balance is great (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • If you work in the call centre your treated horrifically in every way (in 4 reviews)

• The hierachy in the business is really fluid (which also has it's good points) which makes career progression a tough prospect (in 3 reviews)

"HX: it's all about people"

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many positives about working at HX, you can sometimes and forget and take for granted that they’re not available at many other companies. Their approach to flexible working is hugely valuable - it means I can balance having a family and a job and not feel guilty about it. It’s not just the convenience it offers but also the sense of trust and value you feel, knowing that you have the freedom to manage your own time and work. It also means I’m working when I’m most productive, which is good for everyone.

Playing to your strengths and interests is key at HX and I’ve definitely benefited from this, being involved in some interesting and fulfilling projects that really stretch and develop you. When I’ve had a passion or idea that I want to pursue, I’ve always been encouraged and supported - we’re not afraid to experiment at HX which is hugely satisfying.

The move to company and team OKRs over the past year has really provided much needed clarity on our business priorities. In my team in particular, we’ve seen some tangible strides in projects we’ve been working on and it’s a great way of bringing everyone together to achieve common goals. HX never rests on its laurels and is always looking to improve.

HX’s biggest pro however are its people. If you ever need help with someone, there is always one or more willing to help - that doesn’t happen everywhere and the effect of this can’t be underestimated. The fantastic team events that HX puts on really fosters this, the recent HX party and fireworks being a perfect example of this.

Cons

We work fast at HX - it means we get things done which is great for everyone, especially our customers. Prioritising can some times be an issue although we're getting better now we've moved to using OKRS.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the culture of trust that exists at HX and keep encouraging managers to empower their teams to play to their strengths. We have some fantastic talent and expertise and by continuing supporting and developing them in this way means they and the business can continue to be successful and grow.

"The progressive image is largely an illusion"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Holiday Extras is what makes it awesome. During my time in the engineering team I met and worked with some great people. I got to attend conferences and learnt a lot.

The work life balance is pretty decent too. Flexible hours and opportunities for remote working.

Cons

You'll have little say in the product you build which is why the website looks like it does. Despite having some really talented UXUI designers and developers, the output is pretty is poor. This is entirely due to the top-down nature from the CEO/CPO.

He will override or cull almost all ideas, for example on one occasion after the team had spend weeks working on a design he sent a keynote with an extremely crude alternative and the instruction to "do that".

Sadly, the only product/design people who do well in the company are those willing to say "yes sir" and not voice an opinion, despite having more expertise.

The company claims to be agile but whilst they're bending to one person whim it never truly will be.

From a career development perspective your options are also extremely limited. Effectively your only options are to suck it up and deal with the low wage and lack of progression or leave.

Advice to Management

Value your staff and their expertise. MP take a step back and let your team do what you pay them to do.

Offer true career progression and pay what people are worth,

10 Oct 2017 – Associate People Director

Thank you for your feedback.
    We agree that our CEO is hands-on. We're a family run business and we work with a visionary and creative CEO who is willing to roll his sleeves up and work alongside the... More

3. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time

Pros

Flexible working
    Focus on wellbeing
    Great office environment
    Opportunities for development
    Care about their employees

Cons

Communication around the business could be better at times.

5. "Working with travel and technology makes work a fun place"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The constant evolving projects create new challenges daily and the people and the team around them constantly achieve them well.

We have a relaxed and passionate team who care about what they build and how they build it together. Everyone has a voice and the leadership team are all very approachable. Especially our CEO who regurlay takes an interest in what we are building.

Progression is great aswell I've progressed into 5 different roles since I first joined Holiday Extras and I'm pretty confident there is more to come.

Cons

We have various communication channels which can cause confusion across the business and our wifi can be a bit temperamental, hopefully to be solved soon.

6. "Your experience of your time here is what you make it."

I have been working at Holiday Extras part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a chance to get involved in so much more than your role and to immerse yourself into HX life. The chance to personally develop through training is available and the flexibility of work-life balance is great. The office environment from my experience is excellent, it is genuinely engaging, interesting and fun to work here on a day to day basis.

People live and work to the values on the whole and everyone is respectful, approachable and keen to help if they can.

Cons

You are pigeonholed in a way that does not benefit you or the company, career progression in some areas is hard, (even though the company does say that they will give you opportunities this is not always the case- there is an element of 'face fitting'/ not seeing your potential).

HX cannot keep relying on it's reputation to pay less than the market.

Advice to Management

As a company HX is a great company to work for, it is not the place it was a few years ago, as we grow, keeping the culture is always so hard and with challenging marketing conditions, it needs to make clear and transparent decisions and communications about how it is going to continue to be a leader in its field and as an employer.

7. "Travel consultant call centre"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Get given an Apple Mac laptop, give good pay and good benefits. Luckily I had lovely people on my team. Shame the jobs AWFUL

Cons

If you work in the call centre your treated horrifically in every way... if you have an angry customer there is a department trained to take those calls yet they tell you to deal with it yourself! Clearly don’t do they’re job properly... unrealistic targets and awful one to one training. ( if you actually got the once a week/ once a month training they say your meant to) They don’t care about you as long as they’re making money. Very unsociable hours. Had the worst time working there and would not recommend it in the slightest

Advice to Management

Do a better job...

1 Nov 2017 – Associate People Director

This feedback makes us really sad as this is not the experience that we want people to have. As a fast paced, customer focused business, people are at the heart of what we do and we strive to help... More

"Travel Consultant- a mixed experience."

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

A positive atmosphere
    Nice building and grounds
    Two weeks training

Cons

Training overwhelming
    Targets hard to achieve - which can be stressful
    IT kit hard to find on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Provide an opportunity for participants to review training. Training is a big investment, one size doesn't fit all and there were too many tears and people leaving sooner than expected. I did mention this to my Buddy, line manager and HR person but nothing happened.
    Provide more support in the call centre. I know it's supposed to be there but the team managers can be very busy coaching and the help point has gone so you can look around for advice and really there is no one - this affects customers as well as stressing staff.
    Accept that calls are randomly distributed and not equally distributed- achievable goals are more motivating and less stressful.
    Ensure the IT kit is there ready for action - no more searching for box, mouse and keyboard. IT will support but seem puzzled that kit moves about. It moves because staff are trying to get the kit together to strat work - no other reason.
    I admit I was a square peg in a round hole here and I've never had that happen before - I wonder if it could have been different?

"Couldn't work for a better company!"

Pros

- Very supportive, from senior leadership down the company genuinely cares about your wellbeing.
    - You feel trusted an empowered - trusted with office equipment at home, trusted to make decisions and not penalised if something is wrong - everything is a learning opportunity.
    - Great work life balance
    - Brilliant environment to work in, we work hard but feel relaxed and at ease at work
    - Lots of fun - the company are excellent at putting on fun events for staff and family
    - Great opportunities for development - having lots of departments in one building allows movement to play to strengths.
    - Beautiful grounds, outdoor seating areas nice when you fancy a break from the computer screen.
    - Great facilities - lounge area is fab, pool table, foosball, kitchen area with tea and coffee making supplies.
    - Flexible - working from home and flexi hours are great when needed.
    - Amazing benefits available - from pensions, to share save plans, private healthcare to social clubs we have got so many fabulous benefits available to us.

Overall I love everything about the company and have enjoyed every moment over the past 6+ years. The company make you feel so valued and support you in every aspect of life. Holiday Extras really is an amazing place to work and I feel so lucky to be here.

Cons

The heating system is strange and the office is often too warm in the summer and really cold in the winter - we can't have everything right?

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Airport Call Centre"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Hythe, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Given own apple mac laptop, lots of benefits, and the training system at the start was very good.

Cons

Unrealistic targets, constantly being threatened about getting sacked from the company, have to deal with angry customers as the customer service team specialized in this department do not take on the calls so we are left to deal with it, unapproachable management, horrendous hours working until 11pm.

19 Sep 2017 – Associate People Director

Thanks for your review. We’re sorry that you have some concerns and would like the opportunity to discuss these with you so we can understand them in more detail.

In response to some of the... More

"My honest review of how I see things"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Holiday Extras full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, Growth family run, treated like an individual, good support system.

Cons

Poor incentives, current unrealistic targets,recruitment needs looking at (hiring sales people rather than customer service driven) Unapproachable team management, only progress if "your face fits" Not enough praise given to staff where due.

Advice to Management

Inject more money into team incentives to motivate staff more. Break down the current teams in half. I believe the current management are not coping, they are going through a tick box process when it comes to coaching, but they dont have enough time to engage and motivate staff which should be part of their job. They spend too much time call auditing or in meetings and dont seem to be around enough. It has been noticed when certain people do step up for their teams they tend to be almost ignored. That person will never be approached or included in anything (including meetings or discussions about current team stats) therefore making them feel isolated and ignored. They are given the "stay on the floor while we go talk about grown up stuff" attitude!! when having discussed this with certain management in the past,i was advised that company couldnt justify another 3 manager (Yet we manage to pay large wages upstairs and not have to pay much out on incentives because no money is out in!)
    Even another 2 managers to improve the quality of current manager roles and workload would potentially be enough, but current managers are having to manage 20-25 people per week,i dont think this produces an efficient manager.

29 Aug 2017 – Associate People Director

We’re really sorry to read this feedback. We recently sent out our company-wide engagement survey - we hope you felt that you were able to feedback there. However, we’d like to understand more about... More