Zendesk Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at Zendesk

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (Dublin, Co. Dublin) in February 2019.

Interview

The whole process was very enjoyable and relaxing. At no point did I feel stressed, the interviewers are very likeable and personable, and the steps of the process aren't as daunting as some other companies.

1: Phone interview with Hiring manager (chat, few tech questions)
    2: Onsite interview (coding challenge, Internet fundamentals, System Design, Behavioural)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Recruiter found me through LinkedIn and reached out. Set up a short introductory phone screen. Phone screen was the typical recruiter call: asked about experiences and talked about the opportunities available.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zendesk.

Interview

Had a brief call with the Recruiter and then scheduled a call with the Engineering Manager. He never called and we rescheduled multiple times. Each time, he never called and we continued to rescheduled until finally, received a rejection.

One of the most unprofessional interviews I ever had. I am disappointed in the recruiting quality of Zendesk. I don't ever expect to have an opportunity with them again.

Interview Questions

• What is your background? Have you worked with Ruby on Rails and React/Redux?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2017.

Interview

The typical format:
    1) Recruiter screening
    2) Technical screening
    3) Onsite

The onsite itself was for about a half day, with 4-5 rounds and lunch with the potential boss. In one round, the interviewer literally made up the question on the spot. I had to help him compose the question. In two other rounds, the questions were almost exactly identical. I could tell that they did not coordinate with each other at all before asking me these questions. The last round was a system design question and the interviewer there was nice and polite.

I just had a up and down experience with this process. None of the questions were difficult, but none of the questions seem to be prepared either. It was almost too easy and open ended that I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong. I had extra time to spare in each round, but there wasn't much substance in each question to adequately test my knowledge of the subject matter.

No call to explain what happened, just the standard rejection email. Kind of a bummer, and a waste of my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2017.

Interview

Most unprofessional HR I've encountered in my career. She never called since she was stuck on some train. Then asks me for a new time. I send her new time. She never responds back. Next day I check jobvite, says 'Not Selected'. Like wtf? I want to seriously report her incompetence.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2017.

Interview

Quick phone chat with the internal recruiter to introduce me to their interview process and the company culture. Then another skype call with the Hiring Manger that was 50% discussion and 50% code challenge on coderpad.

After that I was flown out to SF for a full days interview with the team. I think there were 6 interviews all up with my potential peers. There was one pairing session to fix a bug in a ruby library, two interviews that were whiteboard excersizes the rest were discussions about the role and my experience.

I was not offered the role as they wanted someone with more people management experience and offered to introduce me to other teams that were looking for engineers. I was lucky enough to be offered something in another company so didn't pursue anything further with Zendesk.

Interview Questions

• Fix a bug in a ruby library, some algorithm questions and high level system architecture problem solving.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Zendesk in April 2015.

Interview

Describe about your favorite project. Describe the difficulties you have met. If your background is a good match with their team, congratulations! I think the interview process has much relation with the team.

Interview Questions

• Find the second largest number in a sorted array.   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online and began email correspondence with a recruiter a few weeks after I dropped off my resume.

I eventually got to speak with my recruiter on the phone and learned more about what Zendesk has to offer and the products that Zendesk supports. Afterwards, I was sent a coding challenge that I completed quickly and sent it back to my recruiter for review.

About two weeks later, I was set up to have a phone call with someone from the team that I would potentially be a part of. The call was non-technical and really gave me more perspective on how interns would be involved with projects and more about the overall work culture.

A week later, I got invited to an onsite interview at the SF headquarters where I had the opportunity to meet most of the team that I'd be potentially put on. There were 6 interviews and most were a mix of technical and behavioral.

Overall, my experience interviewing with Zendesk has been super positive and I attribute this to their great HR. My recruiter was very transparent and helpful throughout the entire process. The in person interviewers were also very nice and supportive even when I would get stuck during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Your standard coding challenge + whiteboard questions   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Zendesk in November 2014.

Interview

Met with recruiter. She scheduled interview a couple weeks after. Went in to career center and met one of the engineers. Did a simple string reversal algorithm. Did not receive follow up because they were looking for someone with more front-end experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

I did an initial Screen with the hiring manager followed by a phone interview with the manager. they invited me on site 2 weeks later flew me out from Michigan. I met with 3 engineers hiring manager and manager. Got asked about my past projects and CSC data structure question. I think they were very professional and nice. And would help me when I get stuck. Thought was a great fit Unfortunately I did not get it but was grateful for the experience

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Zendesk (San Francisco, CA (US)) in December 2012.

Interview

They were friendly and prompt in interviewing. I interviewed with most of the team I would be working with, one at a time. They gave me a few skills tests of various kinds, high level and low level. The hiring manager walked me around the office, introducing me to people and, clearly, was evaluating my personality and culture fit with the rest of the team and company.

They were very excited to answer each and every question I had, be it about the benefits, job, work, company, people, org structure, or even how teams fit together and who calls the shots when it comes to infrastructure/development decisions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult unusual. Code up some quick system monitors using a language of my choice. Whip out a design for a large 3-tier application. Juggle some data structures.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Within a day or two after the interview, received a respectable offer and it was open for negotiation.

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.