Uber Community Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Uber Community Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Uber

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Diego, CA (US)) in February 2013.

Interview

Received a call from a recruiter shortly after applying. Quick 30 minute interview, pretty typical...education, work experience, why would you be a good fit, etc. They then will ask you to complete a LENGTHY assessment. I do believe the assessment is a good indicator of how you would do in the role, but I have the suspicious feeling they aren't even interested in hiring you, just using you for the ideas you are asked to create in the assessment. Whether or not that is true, I don't know, but overall the people there are very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Tell us where we need to improve.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Uber

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I submitted an application, they responded by email 3 months later. First there was a phone interview, which lasted about 15 minutes and asked very basic first interview questions (tell me about yourself, why uber? tell me about being in a challenging situation and how you overcame it...etc). At the end of this interview they said the hiring process would be 3 weeks total and consist of 2 interviews, a homework assignment, and a group day project with existing employees and other applicants. The homework assignment was a very time-consuming marketing exercise full of hypothetical emails, tweets, blogs, and a "laundry list" of marketing ideas for the company. I kind of think they send this out to a bunch of hopeful applicants with no intention of hiring them just to get free ideas. I submitted the assignment within 3 days of the first interview and received an email a week later saying they are really busy and will get back to me soon. My next email was about a week after that saying it was not the right fit at this time.

Interview Questions

• part of the homework assignment ask specifics about marketing metrics and gave specific numbers and margins to analyze.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

phone screen, second round video conference. Intial phone screen with university alumni then after about 1 week got back to me to schedule a video conference interview. The phone interview lasted around 40 minutes, and the video conference lasted around 30 minutes. did not really ask about insights or how one can contribute to the company. normal interview questions, strengths weaknesses etc.

Interview Questions

• None, all are expected questions. No insightful questions.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

I interviewed with an HR person in California for my non-CA-based CM position. I was then given a Creative Exercise to complete over the weekend that asked me to respond to customer emails, and tweets and come up with marketing ideas and blog posts. After that I had a Skype interview with the person who currently held my job. After that I had another Skype interview with the new person who held the CM job. Lastly, I was invited to the office for a two-hour interview that included another creative exercise and presentation and then four or five two-on-one interviews with other CMs and employees.

Interview Questions

• Being asked about new ideas for marketing initiatives, and then being asked about how I would evaluate those including data I would need and ideas about who to communicate with about the potential promotion.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Received an interview after 1 week of submitting my application, which I really appreciate.

Spoke with a very friendly HR person and she followed-up with me within the time frame she told me. This was also pretty great. She walked me through the interview process, but this is where I feel I was led astray. I was told there would be another interview before a creative exercise was assigned. I really had ideas running through my head, but didn't think i would need to have them ready for my next interview.

I only got one step in and it was a Skype call with the city GM. I figured it would be a pretty straight forward interview and if that went well I would receive the "creative exercise." Instead the GM asked about it towards the end of our interview, for a different market than I was expecting. I think this is what eventually prevented me to move forward.

Received the generic email that they would not proceed the next day. Overall appreciate the speed of it.

Interview Questions

• We're expecting to expand to a new area, what would you do to promote this. Who would you invite and why.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber in March 2013.

Interview

I don't have much input here; I simply had a phone call with an internal recruiter, but very early on, we both deemed I wasn't a good fit for the job. No further progress was made. She was nice, and well organized.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Chicago, IL (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

Applied online. I was contacted by a recruiter quickly and a skype interview was set up.

Skype interview was fairly quick, went over my resume, questions about hobbies/what you like to do and my personal usage of Uber which I had many examples of.

Sent a creative project to complete in a week by Friday. Worked on the creative piece which included two examples of blog posts, a laundry list of marketing ideas, answers to tough customer service questions, responses to twitter posts both positive and negative about Uber and some simple math problems about making promotions profitable. I put quite a bit into the creative piece which took a lot of time.

I received a direct email from a Senior Community Manager who said:

"Hey ------ -

---- from Uber here. Enjoyed your creative/resume, but it looks like you've never used Uber before.

What's the deal !?"

I responded to this email with countless times I have used Uber and how I recommend it to many people who are now fans. I have not been the person who ordered the Uber when I took it, but I have a great understanding of how Uber works. I found this email strangely curt and somewhat unprofessional. I followed up with my recruiter already sensing I was not being considered. She followed up with me a few days telling me that I was not the right fit at that time.

So, I proved that I was qualified both in experience on my resume and also by my creative piece but was not considered because I haven't personally ordered an Uber car, I have just taken one. I think being dismissive of a qualified candidate not the best approach. I also think it is for the best if this is how the company treats qualified candidates who put a lot of effort into the creative piece. Uber should MAYBE a different approach to hiring. I also saw that they reposted the position, which makes me believe I was most likely the best candidate they had at that time.

Interview Questions

• Enjoyed your creative/resume, but it looks like you've never used Uber before. What's the deal?   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber.

Interview

Spoke with person for round 1 - after brief 10 minutes he/she said they would be forwarding me the creative assignment. extensive and ridiculous - i should have listened to all of those who came before me - you work hard to only find out that the company couldn't care less and will likely send you some generic email saying they've opted to go with someone else. entire process occurred within 1 month.

Interview Questions

• the creative project is an unethical method of stealing the ideas from those who aren't currently employed with the company. majority of questions on sheet focus on twitter responses, customer service and math.   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Uber (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

The interview process is a complete waste of time. Believe the reviews on Glassdoor. They do not want to hire anyone unless you are in this position at another extremely successful startup.
    My first interview was with HR. I then received the project that composed of blog posts, emails, marketing ideas and a promotional math problem. I then had a skype interview with no camera on and I could not hear the person on the other end. I then had an in person interview at the San Francisco office. I interviewed with 7 community managers. They never once asked about my past experience or why I believe I am qualified for the position. 3 of the community managers would not even look at me, at least pretend to care! This whole process took about 5 weeks. They then proceeded to use two of my ideas from the project. A week later they got back to me with another project. I refused to move on.

Interview Questions

• They took one of my marketing ideas from the project and wanted me to walk them through how I would do everything to get it to work.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uber (Atlanta, GA (US)).

Interview

Initial phone screening was informal and brief. In line with the other candidates who have posted here, you are given a creative marketing assignment that is a grab bag of customer service replies mixed with different marketing initiatives that you would create, which incidentally some of the information given from my reply were incorporated into live Tweets...
    Once I submitted my creative assignment I never received a confirmation email and had to send multiple emails to the recruiter who kept promising me that feedback would be returned, took a month to be told that I did not fit their mold.

I find it to be very unprofessional to keep telling a candidate that you will receive feedback on a certain date, to then not follow up and keep him or her in the loop.

Interview Questions

• Trying to figure out an ROI for an unknown client base.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.