PayPal Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at PayPal

1,005 Interview Reviews

2.9

Corporate Strategy Analyst Interview

Interview

My experience with Paypal was disappointing overall. I was really interested in this role. But all the hiring manager did was ask me questions about blockchain. She asked no business case questions and didn't even ask why I was interested in working at Paypal. It was basically "tell me about yourself?" "What do you think about blockchain?", "Why hasn't it gained more widespread use?" and "what kind of blockchain offering does your company have?" Blockchain is really only tangentially related to Paypal. Better questions might include: where do you see the payments space going in the future? What recommendations would you have for Paypal's business as it relates to digital payment technologies? Finally, after she finished asking questions she allowed me to pose a few questions to her. She ended the call after only 25 minutes. How are you supposed to assess my competence for this role when you only ask these types of questions, basically only about blockchain? It's not like I ever claimed I was a blockchain expert. It’s literally only listed once on my resume as part of a broader initiative. Also, I thought an interview best practice was to try to standardize questions. I highly doubt she asked these blockchain questions to others.

She asked nothing about specific skills, nothing about my interest in Paypal, retail, or the payments space. It's BS. This is a role that would be well served by adding a case component. Once the call ended I realized she hadn't even asked me why I'm interested in this role. Maybe I should have figured some way to touch on this before the call ended. But she ended the call sort of abruptly. In 25 minutes even though it was supposed to be 30. Maybe she had already made up her mind based on the blockchain questions. It’s just ridiculous. What is a candidate to do when they're not asked questions that really speak to their experience, interests, and knowledge of the space in which the company operates? A few days later I had to reach out to the recruiter to ask if they were interested in moving forward. She never bothered following up, which is so typical. I asked her for feedback and was of course ghosted. That's the standard nowadays.

I just think the interview with the hiring manager wasn't well thought out. I've interviewed with Ebay's Corporate Strategy group and made it to the final round. They use case questions and I think that's a better approach, more so than asking questions that really reveal nothing about the candidate, their interests, and overall thought process. I literally interviewed with Nike a few days after Paypal and they had very preset behavioral questions which they seem to have given a great deal of thought beforehand. For example, “What should Nike do in X market?” What do you think of direct to consumer versus going through a third party retailer?” If you're going to use behavioral questions consider topics that are more closely related to Paypal's business than blockchain. As well as those standard behavioral questions: “Tell me about a time you failed. Name strengths/weaknesses.” It seems like the hiring manager just made the questions off the fly. One question about blockchain is fine but three is excessive. She should have ended that line of question after asking what I thought about blockchain.

From a performance perspective, I don't think I could have done any better. But I wish I was asked questions that better showcase myself and my ability to actually do the job. I feel like with an interview like this I didn’t really have a chance to build rapport, exhibit my passion, or anything. I think it was an unfair process overall. Even ignoring the lack of standardization, I didn’t get to talk about the key drivers of Payoal’s business, my interest in PayPal or their performance, and the broader retail/payments space.

Interview Questions

• what do you think about blockchain? tell me about yourself   6 Answers

Contract Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PayPal (Omaha, NE (US)) in July 2013.

Interview

I was referred by a local staffing agency to the position. First I had a Phone interview. Discussed my past college and corporate hiring experience and was hired to start the following day.

Negotiation

They told me the hourly rate and I accepted. I started the next day.

Policeman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fraser, MI (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at PayPal (Fraser, MI (US)) in October 2009.

Interview

The interviewing officer should ensure that the intended interviewee is comfortable and able to proceed with the interview.

The interviewing officer will without delay and in the presence of the interviewee unwrap two new audio tapes and load them into the recorder.

There are two tapes used at every interview, at the end of the interview tape ‘A’ the master tape, is sealed and signed by the interviewee, the officer and any witness present and tape ‘B’ is used to produce a transcript of the tape. For security purposes the tapes will be numbered and logged in a register.

The tape machine is then switched on. The officer is to inform the interviewee that the interview is being taped. On commencing the interview the interviewing officer will:

* Give his name and rank place of work.
        * Other officer/s present will also give their name rank and place of work.
        * The interviewing officer will ask the interviewee to confirm their name, address and date of birth.
        * Any other persons present at the interview (e.g. solicitor, Appropriate Adult, Interpreter) will be asked to confirm their name and title, and in the case of a legal representative the name of the firm or partnership.
        * In the event that there are no other persons present, the interviewee will be asked to confirm this.
        * The officer will announce the date and time the interview commenced and the location of where the interview is taking place.
        * The interviewee is to be told that at the end of the interview that he/she will be given details of what happened to the tapes.

Assistant Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

Company background demo, Q&A. Then talk with 2 senior employee individually about your recent experience. Ask specific questions during this process. Have a lot of interaction. Then HR ask some questions about salary estimation and response period.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your recent project in school.   2 Answers

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA (US)).

Interview

A phone call from the recruiter followed by the hiring manger. They called me on site and I had a discussion with Manager again and then an hour technical interview. Coding question on write a Java code if a tree is sum tree.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at PayPal (San Jose, CA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

It was about discussion type.Very friendly and understandable.applied on line.It was a phone interview.Asked me to code in JAVA.They explained me about the problem.Hiring process is difficult.It improved my confidence level.

Interview Questions

• Write a code for a real world problem?   1 Answer

Java Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PayPal in September 2014.

Interview

First got a phone interview, the interviewer introduced the company and his team at the beginning. This process lasted about 15 minutes. Then I was asked to introduce myself and paraphrase the projects.

Interview Questions

• Be asked about basic OS concepts, Java concepts, and the difference between Java and C++   1 Answer

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PayPal (San Francisco, CA (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

Skype technical interview with engineer for about 45-50 mins. We discussed my resume and projects for about 10 mins and then went into a live coding exercise based on React.js

Interview Questions

• Develop an address form in React js based on certain conditions   1 Answer

Software Development Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online, it took a 4 days to process, then a telephone interview followed from a Sr. Development Manager. Another telephone interview from two MTS followed next week, each for half hour

Interview Questions

• nothing unexpected, basic Java questions, database questions, technique questions based on projects I ve ever involved.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at PayPal.

Interview

No feeling good, interviewer is not only late, but also doesn't very care about what you said. The question is not very difficult, but looks like the interviewer doesn't know DFS

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.