HubSpot Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at HubSpot

3.3

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin) in March 2019.

Interview

The process included an initial recruiter phone call, a take home coding assessment, and then 3 on-site interviews which are roughly 1 hour each. The on-site interviews consisted of a database-related interview, a system design interview, and then a final general discussion with a director. The whole process was really well organised and made for an enjoyable and fair experience. I received a decision and offer 3 days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Home assessment   1 Answer
    • Design a database schema for a given set of requirements   1 Answer
    • System design question   1 Answer

10 Sep 2019 – Chief People Officer

Congrats on your offer and hope you're enjoying being part of our team so far. Thanks for sharing such lovely feedback on our process, we are delighted to have you helping our engineering team grow... More

People Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

Online interview platform. Received five questions with a brief opportunity to respond ranging from 30-60 seconds. Though I prepared for the time constraint, the questions asked are difficult to succinct to 30 seconds. Overall, challenging platform.

Interview Questions

• A time you experienced difficulties on a group project   2 Answers

12 Mar 2019 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks for your interest in joining our People Operations internship program and for taking the time to complete the video portion of our interview process. The video interview can definitely feel... More

People Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

The recruiters I worked with were generally very helpful. The team also seemed nice though there were some mixed messages during the interview process. I was brought in for an in person interview but didn't receive an offer. In the rejection email, the recruiter said she could share the team's feedback from the interview, but when I responded and said I'd appreciate the feedback, I never heard back. The combination of that with the mixed messages during the interview process was unfortunate. It kind of made me wonder what was happening behind the scenes during the interview process and if there might be some uncomfortable reason behind the rejection. It would have been less awkward if they hadn't offered and then seemingly withheld thafeedback.

3 Apr 2019 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I'm deeply disappointed that our team missed the mark in our commitment to transparency and thoughtful feedback. I'd love to get you that feedback you... More

Junior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

The interview process was quite nice - very easy to get everything arranged and everyone was wonderful to speak to. My interview consisted of a phone screen/interview, and some in-person interviews which included a great overview at the company and an overview of the office.

Even though I wound up not getting an offer this time, I really enjoyed the experience of interviewing with HubSpot, and found each person I spoke with was very helpful with feedback and answered many of my questions about working in software in general.

Interview Questions

• Part of my interview wound up delving into a really interesting discussion over different parts of automated testing processes, even though I wasn't interviewing specifically for devops or test.   2 Answers

Leadership Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

It’s a very competitive program (800+ Applicants for 2-3 spots). You start by submitting your resume and cover letter, then if you move onto the second round, you have to do a “video interview” (30 seconds to read a question, 1 minute to record it kind of thing). If you get through that part I believe you have a phone screening and then the final in person group interview with like 15-20 people. I only got to the video interview portion and bombed it. Super weird/uncomfortable format.

Interview Questions

• What 3 qualities would you prioritize if you started a company tomorrow?   2 Answers

8 Jan 2019 – Director, Recruiting

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to apply to our leadership rotational program and for writing a review. We're totally aware of the fact that the video interview can feel awkward for many, which... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA (US)) in October 2014.

Interview

Hubspot contacted me ~3 weeks after I met a recruiter at a career fair. They warned me the process took only a week and so I should decide when to start the interview process such that I could respond in that period of time.
    First, there was a coding challenge: 2 problems, one was easy and the other appeared to be easy but I only got 1/6 of the tests to pass. Nonetheless, they called me in to give me a tour of the workplace and asked me about some projects I had worked on. Then, they asked if I was in a position to accept the offer. I asked for another 2 weeks of delay (I had other interviews) and then accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of strings with only lowercase letters, create a function that returns an array of those same strings, but each string has its letters rearranged such that it becomes a palindrome (if possible, if not, return -1).   5 Answers

Negotiation

There was no negotiation possible. All interns get paid the same

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA (US)) in February 2014.

Interview

TL;DR - Interviewing with HubSpot will be one of the most painless (if not enjoyable) interviews you will ever have. Don't expect trick questions, but be prepared to show what you are capable of (now and in the future).

Prior to interviewing, I was contacted via email for an informal chat with one of the Tech Leads at HubSpot who found me through Github. At the time, I was still working full-time and on the fence about changing jobs. The tech lead invited to the (Cambridge) office where he gave me a tour of the amazing office and we chatted about various projects I was working on related to web development. The chat I had was very informal and more importantly, very informative as he shed light on what it takes to be a valuable member in a place like HubSpot as well as what I could work on if I ever wanted to join.

Fast forward a few months and I decide to apply officially through their website for the Front-End Software Engineer position. The whole process probably took about 2-3 weeks from application to offer. I informed the tech lead I met a few months back that I applied and he helped speed up some of the initial filtering process by having me complete a couple programming problems through Talentguide. Having never done a programming challenge like this, I was a bit wary. However, I was put to ease when I realized the problems were primarily to see if I can code at all (no trick questions, basic CS101 type problems) and not whether I knew obscure CS theory.

Around the next day, I was contacted by a member of People Ops (HR) regarding an on-site interview. Since I was still working full-time, they were very understanding and allowed me to come in later in the evening (around 4pm) rather than take up my entire day. I was informed beforehand that I would meet with four members of the engineer team (names and positions given) and it would take roughly 3 hours.

On the day of the interview, I was given another tour of the office (a lot changed in those few months) and more or less started immediately. I expected a lot of whiteboard coding problems and CS101 type questions, but I was surprised (and relieved) when they primarily asked front-end related questions (JS, CSS, HTML). Most of the interviewers had already taken the time to go over my Github profile and my personal blog/website (code as well) so a majority of the time was used discussing about how I code, how I approach problems, why I choose a certain frameworks, etc. In addition, they provided a lot of information about HubSpot as a product and company and the work culture. It sounds cliche, but it was very clear through the interview the pride and passion the people at HubSpot had for the work they do. At the end of the interview, I was only able to meet with 3 out of the 4 members previously noted, but ended taking about the same time as the interview would just continue until it organically ended.

Now one thing to note is my background was not in CS, yet at no point did I feel I was being cornered or purposely tricked to find fault in my abilities. This was an initial concern I had because a few weeks prior, I applied to a similar position at a very well known tech company that basically did just that - ask obscure, unrelated problems to purposely find faults in a candidate rather than strengths. Luckily, the interviews at HubSpot felt more like the initial chat I had months before - laid back, but with more focus on me.

About a week later, another member of People Ops (HR) called to informed me that they would like to extend an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name and explain the common HTTP Request methods   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA (US)) in April 2011.

Interview

Spoke with hiring manager over the phone for technical screen. Asked basic computer science questions (data structures, algorithms, etc) and a brainteaser. Brought in for face to face with members of the engineering team to spec out an commenting application similar to reddit on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• How would you spec out a commenting application?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at HubSpot.

Interview

I was contacted by an HR recruiter who found me on linked in. Was very nice and persistent about coming in for an informal chat to check the office, not for an interview. I accepted, was impressed by the technologies, the talent and the opportunities, then scheduled an interview a few days later. Two days after the interviews I was told the feedback was positive and started negotiating the offer.

Interviews were very technical, met with 4 engineers (about 3hrs), algorithms, big-o, lots of white-board coding and system design, though nothing super crazy. Very informal and casual, very relaxed environment, I wore nice jeans and nice shirt, which made me feel more comfortable, as the interviewing engineers were also very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Design a commenting system, similar to reddit.   1 Answer

Negotiation

A bit through email with HR and a bit through phone with VP of Engineering. Overall very pleasant and open.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA (US)) in June 2012.

Interview

Referral by a friend for a un-specified engineering role. HR rep contacted me, set up a phone screen, followed by a web-based basic programming aptitude test. Passed that, was then brought in for an in person interview with two team/tech leads, one peer level engineer and one high-level tech manager. Whiteboard coding tests, big-O evaluation, basic algorithmic improvement tests, as well culture-match questions asked face to face.

Interview Questions

• Design a system that can efficiently scale and store the count of all unique words from a *very large* document-based corpus of text.   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Cambridge, MA (US)) in July 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by an internal recruiter and after an initial conversation they setup a phone screen. The phone screen involved a coding challenge using one of those shared text editor tools as well as a series of technical questions and questions about my experience.
    After the phone screen they setup a face to face interview. Upon arriving at their office I was greeted by the recruiter, offered coffee, and escorted to a conference room. All very nice and polite. Then the interviews started. Their shtick seemed to be interviewing in pairs (or double-teaming) - I ended up speaking to 3 pairs of engineers.
    The first set was very polite and asked me to solve a whiteboard problem. One person was friendly and engaging and was able to provide a lot of insight into the day-to-day life at the company. The other person in the pair was quiet and seemed inexperienced, perhaps still learning how to interview, which is ok I suppose.
    The second pair included one senior engineer and one "uber-engineer". They asked a simple whiteboard problem, which I once again solved. Then they proceeded to ask various technical and design questions making fun of the technologies on my resume in the process (I found that to be very rude). The "uber-engineer" especially made some very smug comments about the fact that I use specific frameworks at my current job and proceeded to tout his own past experiences at IBM as a contrast. When I disagreed with his opinion and said that I don't like unnecessarily reinventing the wheel he seemed very unhappy with my response and seemed to have lost interest in speaking with me further. At the end of his line of questioning he seemed annoyed that I had questions of my own and after giving me some short answers about the company he left in a hurry along with the other engineer.
    The third pair consisted of a VP of engineering and another person. They were much more polite and the questions were more general - no white board this time. They were both friendly and forthcoming yet they too managed to poke fun at the technologies I used in the past, albeit in a less rude way.

After a couple of days the internal recruiter called me to say that they decided to pass because I wasn't a cultural fit. I was neither surprised nor particularly upset by this. I found the overall experience slightly unpleasant and very off-putting.

Interview Questions

• How would you build a knowledge-sharing system?   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.