Capital One Data Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Capital One Data Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Capital One

2.9

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Delaware, OH (US)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Delaware, OH (US)) in April 2020.

Interview

The first step was an hour long online Glider test, around 26 questions mostly around AWS and DevOps. I was expecting more of Data Engineer questions than DevOps questions. But anyhow I cleared that test.

The next round was with the Capital One Hiring manager, a Zoom Video Interview. This is when things started going south. One of the most awful interviewers I ever met. His approach was to prove that I'm a counterfeit candidate. I was not happy with that demeanor. There are ample of ways to evaluate the caliber of the interviewee. He should have at least remembered that I passed their first round Online test with a live streaming video.

Then he started asking questions that sounded more like a lie detector test. Being Engineers we run tons of code and no one memorizes all the command line switches and parameters. We would just look it up as needed. He wants me to orate out all the parameters verbally. At this point I called it out, that is not the way an engineer codes in the real world.

Interview Questions

• 26 DevOps Online Questions test for a Data Engineer Role.
    Zoom Interview asking command line switch parameters for Spark, Docker, Airflow   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Data Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in September 2019.

Interview

I applied through on campus recruiting and heard back within a week saying I had an on campus interview in 2 weeks. The interview had 3 parts: behavioral, technical, and case. It wasn't too difficult and the interviewers were nice and easy to talk to. However, I didn't get an offer and when I tried asking for feedback, they refused to give any. I would have said it was a good experience, but I was not impressed with how they kept the feedback private. I would have liked to know how I could have done better.

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

Overall, the process was very smooth. The first step is a call with recruiter. The next step is an onsite interview. The onsite interview includes behavioral, consulting and coding questions.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

I applied online and received an email the next day from the recruiter for a quick call. When I didn't reply the same day, she emailed me in the evening asking if I was still interested in the position. I replied the next morning at 7 AM and before I was out the door to work we were on a call. Instead of asking me what times I was available, she went ahead and scheduled an interview for the next business day, on a Monday morning. She told me that the initial call would be a tech screen with the hiring manager, but I ended up interviewing with a regular data engineer. The tech screen itself was discussion about my background and questions related to my tech stack. Not a full day later I received an automatic rejection email.

While everyone involved in the process was friendly in communication, I have a suspicion I was used for HR to fill a quota. Aside from the rushed process, another red flag I should have noticed was the recruiter saying all applicants need to have X qualification (I said I didn't. Plus this wasn't in the job posting) yet scheduling me for an interview anyway.

Data Engineering Interview

Interview

There were three 45-minute interviews in a row. I had my behavioral, then technical, then case interview, although the order is random. The interviewers were very nice and the case interview was much easier than I was anticipating.

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

Overall interview process was very smooth. During final-round, there was a "Case", which was unexpected for a technical position. The preparation material provided was for a consulting-style case, but during the interview the case was nothing like it, and it ended up being a very confusing cybersecurity question. The interview process did not reflect the position very well.

Interview Questions

• How would you check if a tree is a BST?   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)) in July 2018.

Interview

I was called by a recruiter at Capital One. A phone interview was arranged after that with the team leader. Two days later I was told that they would arrange an on-site interview (power day).
    The on-site interview had 4 separate 1-on-1 interviews, including 1 technical, 1 behavioral, and 2 job-fit interviews. I don't think they were difficult. However, during the conversation with interviewers, I realized that none of them actually work with/in the team to which I applied for the position. The manager of the team was not involved in the interview process. That makes me believe that their interview process might be inappropriate. I could tell that both interviewers (they are software engineers) from each job-fit interview sessions did not know I was interviewing for a data engineer position because they seemed a bit surprised until I mentioned it. Maybe they thought I applied for a software engineer position?
    What annoyed me is that I was told by the manager during the phone interview the business background was trivial for this position. And yet it seemed to be the reason they reject my application. One of the feedbacks said that they felt I am like a software engineer more than a data engineer. I think it's true because I am an experienced software engineer who is seeking a career change to be a data engineer. I don't know what's wrong about that.
    I received a rejection phone call from the recruiter two days later.
    By the way, although the whole on-site interview was very unusual, the recruiter was really awesome. She really knows her job very well.

Interview Questions

• What's the benefit after Capital One acquired INGD? (tech interview)   Answer Question
    • An 'if' condition programming with some logic errors. (tech interview)   1 Answer
    • Do you know BI/BO? (Job fit interview by a software engineer)   Answer Question
    • Given some stock trading requirements (sell order, buy order, company names, third-party user operation...), try to design the data structure and provide classes for it. (Job fit interview by a software engineer)   1 Answer
    • Which Python package you used for data engineer. (Job fit interview)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience on AWS.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY (US)) in January 2018.

Interview

Interview included a set of standard algorithms questions you'd find anywhere else in the tech industry, a nice deep dive into a specific technical issue depending on your position (in my case, dealing with data engineering), behavioral section, and a case study section (deep dive into a general issue).

Interview Questions

• Explain the how MapReduce works, and compare and contrast that with data streaming frameworks.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA (US)).

Interview

It was really smooth and everyone was nice. No first round interview, I was just flown out and put in a nice hotel for the night. Next day a bunch of TDP interviewees were grouped together and we all had lunch with some full time software engineers and got to ask them questions. Then we had 3 45-minute interviews - case, technical, and behavioral. Interviewers were really nice and helped you out.

Interview Questions

• Technical was relatively easy compared to other companies. Case was a little tricky. Behavioral was straightforward.   Answer Question

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Received an email requesting a phone interview. Scheduled it for the next week. The engineer called me in a big, empty room and talked to me on speaker phone. I had a difficult time understanding what he was saying, and he wasn't sure what to do when I brought it up (there was no handset in the room). I struggled through it, but it was a nuisance.

The interview felt cold. He asked me basic questions at the beginning that let me know he hadn't seen my application or resume. The rest of the interview was like taking a quiz. 3 questions about Java, 3 about Python, 3 about Hadoop, etc. My recruiter said this would be approximately a 30 minute interview, but it lasted longer than 45 minutes. Follow up from the recruiter 2 days later saying they wouldn't be moving forward.

Interview Questions

• What is the contract you should follow when writing a .equals method in Java.   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.