TransPerfect Reviews

Updated 4 Aug 2020

2.8
TransPerfect President and CEO Phil Shawe (no image)
Phil Shawe
Pros
  • "Its dynamic work environment is the best place for language graduates or seasoned translation industry workers alike to flourish(in 43 reviews)

• "Working alongside great people from all over the world(in 41 reviews)

1. "Professional workflow"

Translator
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TransPerfect

Pros

Flexibility in time and work management

Cons

Express trainslation may come unexpectedly

2. "not bad"

4.0
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Athlone

I have been working at TransPerfect part-time

Pros

great ambiance in the company

Cons

could be much better ambiance

3. "Overall good"

I worked at TransPerfect full-time

Pros

Good Learning Good Management Manager support

Cons

Low salary, No increments Worst environment No bonus Pressure on single person

4. "AE"

I worked at TransPerfect full-time

Pros

You will meet some great people.

Cons

Misogynistic and old fashioned culture. The sales organisation is a pyramid scheme.

5. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance Learning new things every day Excellent team Everyone is working together

Cons

None that I can think of

6. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at TransPerfect full-time for more than a year

Pros

Potential to earn a lot of money.

Cons

You will sell your soul for the "potential" to earn money.

Continue reading

"Learnt lots of skills, but at what price? Quality vs. cheap rates"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at TransPerfect full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As an employee for more than 3 years, I learnt lots of skills at Transperfect (software, management, training). Being a huge company, there are employees from any country in the world and the environment was mostly good thanks to that. I would only recommend working for Transperfect if you cannot find anything better.

Cons

Employees are exploited, translator rates are really low and in dollars (which are even lower against the Euro, for example). Salaries are quite low (sorry, but I got a better salary working in a bar). Employees are forced to penalize translators when client spots a mistake, this penalization comes through a reduction of the PO obviously. Most mistakes are due to the fact that all translations are rush and budget is very limited, which means project managers have to contact the cheapest linguists. Business representatives (sales people) have no idea about the translation business. They accept any request from the client and estimate absurd budgets and deadlines. Then the Project Managers have to deal with it. Little chance of negotation in order to get a better deadline or budget even if the quality of the translation is at stake. Project managers are penalized if they don't reach a monthly goal (high number of projects, high income obtained for the company, few errors and positive feedback). Some employees have been fired due to that. I have seen employees crying, staying until midnight in the office, on sick leave due to stress and even skin diseases (due to stress and scratching). I have even seen employees quitting on the same day because they couldn't stand it anymore. It's impossible to have a life of your own if you're working for them. Obviously this is a company that only cares about the money, not about the quality. It's like comparing McDonalds with a cozy family restaurant. We all know which one is bigger, cheaper and faster. Still, big clients prefer bad translations, otherwise Transperfect wouldn't be that huge. It's a big concern if we consider we are taking medications and many investigations are being translated by this company.

Continue reading
  8. "You Get What You Put In!!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team, during interview they actually make sure you will be a good culture fit because you’re communicating with different departments Interesting & Challenging work but you won’t see promotions if you don’t put the work in Maybe I got lucky with my team, but we really have each others back and when I started was not overworked... they just wanted to see me apply what I learned

Cons

Training is definitely difficult, expected to juggle 15+ jobs a week Pay is low side

"Nothing new to be said!"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at TransPerfect full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good place to gain experience in the translation industry, especially if you are a newly graduate. Lots of training and learning resources (if you manage to understand how to navigate them), if you are lucky you will meet some very nice people.

Cons

Kindergarten atmosphere, lots of employees are newly graduates out of uni so they have no idea of a professional work environment. Senior employees are bossy, very few people seem interested in genuine human interaction. Not sure if this company represents the standard for the translation industry but hopefully there are some more humane companies out there.

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Buenos Aires

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home, growing company

Cons

Cant think of any now

Found 968 reviews