Soap Creative Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Soap Creative Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2019

3.4
Soap Creative   (no image)
  1. "Good place to work"

I worked at Soap Creative full-time

Pros

Talented team Inspiring leadership Interesting and exciting work

Cons

Chaotic at times Average salaries No pay raises for ages

Soap Creative2019-04-08

"Talented crew badly mismanaged (SMG Studio)"

I have been working at Soap Creative full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really smart artists and developers. Very creative and easy-going people. Nice location of office. Used to have fun events and team-building culture.

Cons

SMG Studio has little hierarchy which makes it hard to know who is in charge of what. Key members have left the team making it hard to recommend as a stable work environment for new joiners. Lack of vision as management turn the ship on a whim.

Advice to Management

Need to work on people skills. Learn to trust your (very talented) team; they've delivered great products before and are capable of doing it again. Pay at least the industry average and don't take salary negotiations so personally.

Soap Creative2018-03-19
  3. "Producer"

Former Employee - Digital Producer

I worked at Soap Creative full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting and very diverse projects to work on. Really challenged to perform at a high level, which makes you a better producer ultimately. People will hire you if you've worked here because it has a great reputation for awesome digital work. Good vibe in the office, they take the work seriously but not themselves too much, which is refreshing in advertising.

Cons

It was easy to get burnt out. Often worked in excess of 10 hours a day while I was there, along with the other producers. Things may have since changed though. Designers and developers are a bit more protected in terms of the pressure and the hours.

Soap Creative2017-06-24
  4. "Fantastic place to work"

Web Developer in Ultimo

I worked at Soap Creative

Pros

I've sat a couple years to leave this review and am mostly doing so as I'm bothered by the low rating due to the mix of reviews from the past US company. I left Soap due to moving abroad, and deeply miss the time I spent there. They truly value their employees and will do what it takes to keep them happy - including an annual getaway with the entire team for a weekend party. The work there was challenging, and... kept me entertained. While working there, I'd learned the most I have to date, as the creatives were often pushing the boundaries of what could be done dev-wise. If at all possible, I'd work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

No "cons" come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. The CEO couldn't be a friendlier, kinder individual that works very hard - someone who you'd be happy to work under.

Soap Creative2016-10-14

"No longer operating in US as Soap"

I worked at Soap Creative

Pros

cool clients, interesting projects, ping pong

Cons

not enough work, need to sell more projects

Advice to Management

keep it up

Soap Creative2016-01-20
  6. "Great clients / salary average"

Former Employee - Digital Producer in Sydney

I worked at Soap Creative full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great bunch of people to work with, super highly talented bunch. Project variety great too. Culture was great, including an annual trip away for the weekend with the whole company.

Cons

Salary was much lower then should've been. They think that because they have a reputation that they can pay people less than they are worth. Hours were crazy too due to not having enough PMs

Advice to Management

Calm down about doing timesheets!

Soap Creative2015-10-14
  7. "creative"

in New York, NY

I worked at Soap Creative for less than a year

Pros

amazing culture and creative output, really care about their staff.

Cons

sometimes dysfunctional senior leadership relationships

Advice to Management

just keep doing what you're doing, it worked then and does now.

Soap Creative2015-09-08
  8. "good people"

in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Soap Creative for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment. And great people

Cons

little chance of promotion and vertical movement

Soap Creative2015-05-23

"Great coworkers but poor management with overblown egos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Soap Creative full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part about Soap Creative in Dallas was working with very smart and talented people.

Cons

The cons largely center around management/leadership. Management acts a lot like they're in high school and if you do not follow their idea of what Soap is (bro-culture) then you have no place there. They have self-inflated egos and often act petty. Their negative actions are transparent, yet they think that they are smarter than everyone else. It is insulting.

Advice to Management

My main advice to management would be to stop drinking their own kool-aid. Once they stop, they will see the problems that they—themselves—are responsible for. Overall, you will find that Soap is filled with a lot of extremely smart and talented employees. However, beyond them, there is little else worthwhile to speak of. They speak a lot about culture and how great theirs is. Culture is not demanded or... put-upon. It is grown. And it is not pizza, ping pong, and beer. Overall, their "culture" is a larger symptom of what is wrong with the tech/start-up industry. Their culture is essentially just bro-culture at its best. In addition to their shallow culture, the real culture that has grown from the top down consists of fear and deception. They undermine their employees and play power games. They villainize and make scapegoats of past employees. They have no real regard for the welfare of their employees—both domestic and international. Their communication skills both within themselves and to clients are abysmal. You (management) should be championing your people, not tearing them down. You should acknowledge your own mistakes and not use others as a scapegoat. You should acknowledge the role of good and open communication as a way to bolster confidence and loyalty instead of creating high-school-like cliques of those who have information and those who do not, and using secrets to hold over people.

Soap Creative2014-04-21
  10. "Finally Liking the Dallas Office"

I have been working at Soap Creative full-time

Pros

The new management in Dallas has replaced the long time managers that were here for years. Since then, things are much better. We're getting a lot of new work and actually getting it all done right. When I talk to our customers, I get to deal with happy people who want us to do more for them instead of angry ones who don't want to talk to me - a total turnaround from before. We now have a really good... collaboration environment where people can work together and get things done as a team, a much better approach, and we're hiring the right people that are real team members instead of "lone wolves". The projects are outstanding and the culture is really getting good.

Cons

The company is changing a lot. The Dallas office was disorganized and confused for years until the current management was hired. Now, it's a lot more focused and we get more done, and make a lot fewer mistakes. It will take a while for the old employees to either change with the rest of us, or just go somewhere else. I'd love to work from home, but until we get the teams changed over, I understand why we need to... stay in the office together as much as we can.

Advice to Management

Keep making the changes to improve the company and culture. Find the right employees who want to be part of a really good team instead of the "also rans" we have had for years. Get rid of the bad apples! Keep the cool projects coming in, they're fun to work on.

Soap Creative2014-01-08