SmartFocus Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

2.6
SmartFocus CEO Chris Allan
Chris Allan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A fast paced rule breaking, trail blazing company with industry leading technology" (in 8 reviews)

• "There are still a few good people left despite all the redundancies made and the confused business strategy in place" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management may have changed since I left but the bad apples still look like they are there" (in 10 reviews)

• "There appears to be some talented people around you, not looking motivated but really trying to do a good job" (in 8 reviews)

"Customer Success"

Current Employee - Customer Team in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Team in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SmartFocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Smart and nice people
    - Flexible work environment

Cons

- Lack of internal communication
    - Short term vision
    - Strategy problem

Advice to Management

Take a step back and ask the operational people feedbacks. Think about how to improve the customer experience.

"I wouldn't wish a job in Smart Focus to my worst enemy."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at SmartFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

I wouldn't wish a job in Smart Focus to my worst enemy. They are experts in over promising and under delivering and this has a knock on effect throughout the company. In the R&D department they have been going through annual redundancy runs sometimes followed by hiring. This lead to staff attrition and good people leaving with unique knowledge that is now lost to them. The culture is to deliver on time at all cost but with unrealistic deadline leads to high tension in the teams. In some companies teams under pressure band together to get the job done, but not in Smart Focus. In SF each team is working for themselves and even worst each individual is working for themselves. To be fair considering that the job security is very low it is only natural that the employees behave that way.

Where it get worst is in the behaviour of some middle and high managers. I have seen and experienced myself some very questionable management practice. Shouting, bullying and even the threat of physical violence are common practice there especially from one of them.

Now for CEO. He comes across as a nice a approachable guy but he drove the company in what looks like a dead end. The product is clunky and outdated which leads to very poor sales. No significant new client in the best part of 2 years. That caused revenue constraints, his solution just like his predecessor is to do another redundancy run instead of investing in the product he is firing or letting go the few talented individual that they had left.

Now the company has less than 100 employees and they have more Chiefs and managers than people able to do what needs to be done.

Advice to Management

Find a non management position. You have reached your level of incompetence.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SmartFocus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of knowledge as there is no defined roles, so you have the chance to be involved in anything you want

Cons

Lack of communication, really bad management. Not value their employees.. it’s really bad being a company with plenty of potencial sadly handled by the wrong people.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key to success- if you dont communicate you create a bad atmosphere really dificult to work in.

4. "A huge thumbs up!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at SmartFocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have started where management was terrible, Chris Alan has now took over the CEO role and it's a new company that rewards hard work and results, and that is doing better every day! Well done to that!
    Flexibity given from Smartfocus is great we can easily attend a medical appointment and have the ability to work remotely.
    They are also very transparent at communicating now and do their best to make sure everyone has the things they need to make them better at their job and thank their employees for the good job they make, which is really appreciable.

Cons

Benefits and wages could improve to be competitive.

Advice to Management

Even though some internal process requirements are documented now, procedures are missing or hardly followed. There is no consistency in practices thus employees don't really know what they’re responsible for, what’s expected of them, and what they can expect from their supervisors and co-workers. The organisation think they provide a framework but have no idea that some of choices are not implemented smoothly so can't either help or hinder the execution of the strategic plan. Sometimes we could use time and resources more efficiently and keep the business from devolving into complete chaos.

"An amazing work environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SmartFocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SmartFocus has multiple interesting initiatives to work on. Message Cloud and its products are non-trivial, and the platform is widely used around the world by top retial and fashion brands. The development team is really committed to improving itself and never afraid of learning and trying new things, which makes SmartFocus a great environment to progress professionally. Everyone is supportive and a good team player, and we all share responsibilities and participate actively in the decision-making process to shape the overall software architecture.

The work/life balance is also very good. I've never been asked to work extra time or rushed to deliver something. There is no heroism in the business!

But the best of Smartfoucs is its people, which makes working here a fun and enriching experience. They create a special atmosphere that I've never found before in any other workplace.

Cons

Certain amount of legacy software that is slowly being pushed out. a lot of bitter past employees that got the boot and their fabricated reviews

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Client Sucess Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Sucess Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SmartFocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are given the freedom to forge your own path and generate ideas to help contribute to the success of the company.
    Exciting to be part of a transformational business

Cons

If you don't like change you might not want to join the team

Advice to Management

They are doing their jobs.

"Wish I could have seen the new strategy implemented"

Former Employee - Client Sucess in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Client Sucess in London, England (UK)

I worked at SmartFocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at SmartFocus before the new CEO had really got started and when I was there the marketing department spent a lot of money with very few results.
    Now they seem to have cut the staff right down (I think that explains some of the abominable reviews) and started again with fresh talent which is obviously really working for them. I've heard more positive feedback about SmartFocus and their customer service than any other provider in the same category - including the big ticket names! They have the advantage of starting with a clean slate so their product is built around modern digital marketing practices. Other companies systems are clunky and discounted because they're working with old processes. I've still got a lot of friends who work there and they are incredibly hard working and really know what they're doing, which is why I really miss working there and wish them all the best.

Cons

I think it's important to reward employees based on their level of contribution work wise, not just the monetary value they're perceived to bring in. The Devs and TAMs do incredible work and sometimes the sales team get all the credit.

Advice to Management

Look out for the people putting in the extra graft.

"The best move i've ever made"

Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SmartFocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Exceptional leadership from Chris Allan the CEO with clear direction from a seriously talented team. A fun dynamic and agile environment where I have been set up for success. The platform we provide is market leading with an exciting road map. I cant wait to see how this year turns out. Breakfast, fruit daily & Pizza and beer monthly - always a winner :)

Cons

In my first 6 months here I haven't found any, I felt compelled to write a review on here to counter some of the not so good reviews from some of the previous team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Finally the changes are taking effect!"

Current Employee - Professional Services in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Professional Services in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SmartFocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bright, sparky, hardworking team who are passionate about what they do. Flat organisational structure with plenty of opportunities for people to have a voice and contribute ideas. Definitely not a place for those that just want to coast.

Cons

Still work to do on internal systems and processes, but it's getting there

Advice to Management

Make sure quieter team members are heard and recognised.

10. "A breath of fresh air!"

Current Employee - Digital Campaign Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Digital Campaign Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at SmartFocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having started working for SmartFocus as a contractor which was partly influenced by the bad past reviews, I am now a full-time employee and excited about the future with the business! What really differentiates SmartFocus from other companies is its new passionate, fun and dynamic team with a huge wealth of experience. The new management is always approachable, friendly and open to suggestions and opinions. Your effort definitely does not go unnoticed.

The company underwent big managerial and structural changes over the past year or so and is certainly not what it used to be. Having read the bitter reviews of past employees (surprise), I can only suspect that the new company ethos which rewards hard work and passion left the slackers in an uncomfortable spot.

Pros: Dynamic environment, fun but motivated workforce, passionate management, new and clear strategy, great learning environment and opportunities.

Cons

Big competition from bigger companies

Advice to Management

Focus on the great new vision and execute the plan without being side-tracked! Invest in talent.