Shutterfly Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Oct 21, 2019

3.2
Shutterfly CEO Ryan OHara
Ryan OHara
Pros
  • "Work life balance is a definite plus along with work flexibility(in 68 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, competitive pay and good benefits(in 30 reviews)

1. "So much happening."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

Consumer love the products. Leader in category.

Cons

Lots of change so best if can deal with new things.

Advice to Management

Keep consumer front or mind

Shutterfly2019-10-21

"Pay was decent, but toxic culture"

Former Employee - Client Service Representative

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Was paid pretty well, fun on-site activities, great discounts and freebies on products, direct manager was wonderful

Cons

The leadership is not good. It’s a bit of a “good ol boys club” among the senior leadership team, especially on the commercial/business side- not sure how the retail side is run. Cross-functional teams struggle to work together; lots of pushback and lack of ownership which make it very difficult to appease clients. There seems to be strong resistance to working together internally, rather you see people wanting to... make themselves look good and shift responsibility. Major lack of processes in place... there are no P&P’s, no training, nothing seems to be standardized, it’s a scramble to get things done and clients are flat out lied to about what the company is capable of. I had issues with the ethical implications of the way things were presented to external clients. There is zero work-life balance during peak season. I was advised I was expected to be “on call” during the evenings and weekends and there was little care given to the fact that employees have families and personal lives. This is not a life or death industry; it’s print materials. Very high turn over, that is pretty telling.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the people you lose! Three people leaving a specific department in 6 months should be a red flag.

Shutterfly2019-10-17

"Great place to work if you value work-life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great team members, really good work-life balance with the flexibility to take care of your personal business when you need to. Discount on products.

Cons

Over the years, Shutterfly has lost its long term vision and putting the customer first, and focused too much on immediate, short-term gains, resulting in tech-debt and short-cutting on product development. This can make it frustrating as the issues pile up year after year, short cut after short cut.

Shutterfly2019-09-22

"Decent company if you can avoid the layoffs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company culture is better than other places I have worked. I truly enjoy the people I work with and the office is comfortable enough. I love my job and have always had fantastic managers.

Cons

Unless you are high-level, the pay is not a live-able wage and the hours can be long depending on what your position is as well. If you're on the production floor expect 12 hour days and strict lunch schedules & rules. If you work here seasonally, there is a high chance that you WILL be let go come January. Be prepared for that - Shutterfly is a very seasonal company.

Advice to Management

Care about employees that have been loyal to you. Treat production floor workers with more respect. Have empathy on those that are working long hours with low pay. We are HUMANS.

Shutterfly2019-10-02

"Collaborative company but can feel stunted there"

Former Employee - Business Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues generally have a good, can-do attitude; appealing company mission, good work life/balance, desire to evolve and improve the C/X

Cons

The desire to make Shutterfly a better product/service is frequently curtailed by pragmatic and basic fixes. Managers are neither well trained nor held accountable on how to develop their people. As a result, career development is sub-par vs other organizations.

Advice to Management

There has been a significant change to e-staff which is promising. In the new private company, I recommend that senior staff act more as advisors and champions of ideas, vs in the weeds. In addition, the business would benefit in balancing its short-term operating model with a medium-term growth mindset. If not, Shutterfly will weaken its differentiation and customer satisfaction.

Shutterfly2019-09-30
  6. "Have loved my time here!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been a Shutterfly for over 5 years and it is a great place to work! It has continued to feel very inclusive and has a great company culture. You can tell your coworkers enjoy where they come to work every day and feel valued. I would highly recommend Shutterfly as a great place to work, as I have loved my years here!

Cons

There have been changes over time, of course, but the management does a good job of keeping teams up to speed and feeling confident.

Shutterfly2019-09-12
  7. "great company"

Former Employee - Recruiting Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, overall package excellent!

Cons

high turnover with full time and part time employees

Shutterfly2019-09-11
  8. "All about getting shipping out"

Former Employee - Production

I worked at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

Having days off i wouldnt mind working the hours

Cons

On your feet to long

Shutterfly2019-09-23
  9. "Intern exp."

Current Employee - Software Engineer(Internship)

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time

Pros

Fun place to work for a starter.

Cons

I personally prefer east coast.

Shutterfly2019-09-09

Shutterfly Response

September 9, 2019Head of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review. I'm glad that you are having a positive intern experience here at Shutterfly!

10. "Good"

Current Employee - Process Devloperper
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for start your career

Cons

Management is not that much good

Advice to Management

Nothing

Shutterfly2019-09-22