Shutterfly Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Ryan OHara
  1. "Shutterfly Review"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall Good work life balance

Cons

Need to improve on benefits

Shutterfly2019-08-06
  2. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging work environment Place to learn

Cons

don't expect work life balance always running towards goal, don't get breathing time

Shutterfly2018-09-18
  3. "Why work for Shutterfly - Israel"

Senior Software Engineer in Haifa
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Shutterfly for less than a year

Pros

People, people, people - One of the greatest team of colleagues one could wish for. Mission - The company's mission is to "Share life's joy" and over time you understand that you have a part in that, creating products and experiences that help people enjoy their memories. Priceless! Work/Life Balance - If you manage your time well work will stay at the office

Cons

Career opportunities are limited, but there is a lot of room for personal and professional growth.

Shutterfly2017-03-30
  4. "Great Place"

Senior Software QA Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Product, Great People, Awesome Culture, Technology, Good work-life balance

Cons

Always some rumors flying around, More solid vision for tech is required

Shutterfly2015-09-24

"Good Work life balance, relaxed work atmosphere but"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Shutterfly has surprisingly good work life balance and joyful atmosphere depending upon which team you work for. I have less idea about manufacturing and work in lab but Creative Design, IOPS, new re-architecture team, NodeJS/Javascript UI developer roles, etc are very good opportunities in SFLY.

Cons

CEO is smart ,CTO is smart but most VPs, Directors, Architects(there are one good one I know but majority just suck) and Managers are too dumb and are afraid of being exposed to CTO,CEO so end up hiring their subordinates(mid level managers) who are dumb and these directors and mangers keep constantly fighting with each other. Many new developers may find it easy unless you are directly replacing the old folks... but for some old folks who own the massive size of monolithic codebase(think of same humongous jar library coded between 2003-1015 running inside font end backend and middle tier server pools) struggle all alone in keeping up with new feature releases.

Advice to Management

Utilize old folks(lead developers) as business analyst as they know the detailed requirements for re-architecture effort but don't let them define the technical architecture of the new system. This could be the way to make the re-architecture effort successful. To CEO,CTO, be bold guys, replace 90% of your technical VPs and Directors.

Shutterfly2015-07-19
  6. "Great Company to work for."

Current Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly for less than a year

Pros

A great atmosphere to work in. People are nice. Collaboration is encouraged. The Santa Clara Office has amazing views of Great America Park and the new 49ers stadium. Lots of perks in the office, like food/drink/snack, ping pong and foosball tables.

Cons

They treat contractors as a bit of a second sort employees. Not invited to company events, cut unceremoniously.

Advice to Management

Consider retaining a contractor that already knows the stack, if he wants to stay rather than hiring a new person to re-train.

Shutterfly2014-09-12

"Shutterfly creates lasting memories"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

Pros

Shutterfly operates in the small teams settings, giving you a feel of community and working together seems less stretched. Everyone is working towards the same goals set by the CEO. Everyone is communicated the same message that supports the business and management treats everyone equal. All rumors a quelled with the truth within corporate and social circles. All Shutterfly tangible products are made in the USA.

Cons

Separate office locations means more time commuting between work locations. Shutterfly does not match 401K contributions. Health Insurance benefits plans could be improved.

Advice to Management

As Shutterfly grows, management needs to consider 401K matching.

Shutterfly2013-08-23

"Second worse company I ever worked for."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly full-time for more than a year

Pros

The use direct deposit on pay day. They have Free drinks and cereal.

Cons

The engineers in Phoenix, as a group, are the most incompetent engineers I've ever worked with and it shows in the products they produce. A very very hostile environment. After I put my two week notice in, it took all my emotional strength to show up for those last two weeks.

Advice to Management

Get ride of all the Engineers in Phoenix. Hire people with real world experience who have a track record of success. Don't hire 18 engineers to do the work of 4. It takes 4 times as long, and you end up with 1/5 the quality. Matisse is a classic example.

Shutterfly2013-05-23

"great growing experience both professionally and personally"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shutterfly full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the perks, benefits and compensation are good, people stay for a while and enjoy working there, most people are respectful and professional, the company is in good financial health, the Shutterfly printing scale has enabled it to become and remain a market leader

Cons

The organization is going through a restructuring as it tries to find a foothold in the new web and mobile markets and there are a lot of opinions and politics that create factions more than groups of individuals. Some have said there is a loss in confidence in engineering. Projects have been rebooted several times and some failed to meet goals, deadlines or expectations. The application core is very monolithic... and has accumulated 10 years of code and testing, documentation, and process varies across the organization as a result so does quality. Some improvements have been made to fix core problems and there is a slow march forward. Meanwhile leadership is buying solutions that fill in strategic gaps.

Advice to Management

I think there is an ignorance of what we are working towards. Explain that to leads/managers 1-on-1 rather than through bulk emails. Have those leaders work with architects to identify one step toward technically achieving that goal and have leaders communicate the goal, strategy and the first steps toward that end. Finally, require unit tests and enforce good/uniform practices.

Shutterfly2013-03-07
  10. "It is a life changing experience"

Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

The culture, The relationship with your peers and management, the community culture

Cons

long hours can sometimes be a runaway thing

Advice to Management

remember to remind us to play

Shutterfly2011-09-21