Shopify Reviews

Updated 4 Aug 2020

4.0
Shopify CEO Tobias Lütke
Tobias Lütke
Pros
  • "You work from home which is best decision I ever made as well as helping the planet(in 62 reviews)

• "Lots of freedom to work on new ideas, in-house chefs and great benefits(in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • "The experiences that gurus have seems to be very different from that of RnD/ other disciplines(in 28 reviews)

• "There were no cons during my time there(in 19 reviews)

1. "Great job if you put the work in"

Current Employee - Support Guru in Galway
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are incredible and training is great

Cons

3 chats is too much sometimes & has negative effects for both employees & merchants

Continue reading
  2. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Waterford

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay. Work from home. Great culture

Cons

Can be a bit lonely sometimes.

"Best company ever"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

After several bad experiences with corporates businesses, Shopify has showed me a light at the end of the tunnel. First of all, they treat you like a human being and as a person, and if you have any issues in your private life they will help you out as much as they can. And in Shopify you're supporting merchants as a Guru where they have an online store, and if they run into any issues or you're helping them out with any advice that you can give them. After one year of tenure with Shopify I still can't believe how they treat their employees. Everyone is so caring and everyone helps you out as much as they can. And trust me when I say that you're not a number here. I spoke with some CEO's and Directors and they're normal people like us, they'll listen to you and they will take your feedback very very seriously. Pros: 1. Working from home - I never thought that working from home will be so fun and relaxing. After spending 5 hours a day on commute on previous job, working from home came as God given! More time with family and kids, drastic saving either on public transport or on car fuel and no more spending €10-15 on lunch in cantina. 2. Amazing colleagues and Team Managers - These people will give their hearts out to help you out, and no backstabbing! 3. Perks and benefits - Every year you get a significant amount of € bonus (trust me when I say significant) to expense it as you want it. - Fully covered private health care and full paid by Shopify - 20 days of holidays and 10 personal days (call it sick days but they aren't) so technically you have 30 working days of leave. 4. Professional development - If you want to learn more about your job or if you think that an online course or a book will help you out, Shopify will cover the expenses. 5. Loads of training each week that you get allocated outside of live channels or Professional Development time too. 6. Salary - Salary is amazing when comparing same role with Apple. I'm not going to mention Amazon as they are paying peanuts compared to Shopify and they don't brainwash you like the others. Just to add, this isn't a manager review, I'm a Guru here in Ireland and my family means everything to me! I used to commute 5 hours a day before Shopify to bring bread in our house, my little kids didn't even see me, in morning when I would leave nor in evening when I would come back home. My relationship with my children has drastically improved because I'm working from home and you're always there for them if anything happens! I know that some other reviewers will complain about Social life balance because we're working from home. If someone isn't capable of going out to a pub or to call their friend to meet up after they finish their shift then something is really wrong with these people. And I've been super productive while working from home, no dress code...nothing. No 50-100 other people around me laughing, talking, coughing, sneezing, creating distraction which would distract you. So yes, this is a place for me to stay!

Cons

Handling 3 chats at the same time can be daunting!

Shopify Response

March 31, 2020Shopify Representative

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to leave such thorough and helpful feedback. It’s heartwarming to hear how positive your experience has been overall since you joined Shopify. It’s particularly great to know you feel heard and you feel everyone is approachable and caring, even at the executive level. I’m glad you see working from home as a positive and you’re achieving a better work/life balance and getting more family time since joining Shopify. That is important for sure. The Talent team at Shopify work hard to continually review our perks and benefits to ensure we remain competitive and employees can tailor their package to their lifestyle. They will appreciate your great feedback here. Support Leadership have been asked in the past why gurus are handling 3 chats at once. The research they have done indicates this is the best way to handle the volume of chats we get, especially since there is often a delay in one merchant responding. Being able to handle other chats while you wait on them coming back tends to be more efficient. That being said, I will certainly send this feedback on for you as I know they are constantly reviewing our processes. I hope you’ve also discussed it with your lead. They are likely to have suggestions on managing this. Another thing I find helpful is discussing this in a meeting with the rest of your squad. Everyone has different techniques on how they handle their chats so brainstorming together can be helpful in coming up with new ideas on how best to manage your workflow. Again, thank you for your thoughtful feedback!

"High stress"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits are truly out of this world. Not sure if they are worth sticking around for but definitely better than other companies and jobs of similar nature.

Cons

Where do I even start? The training is very rushed and fast paced - you cover the absolute basics of this massive platform to then after six weeks go into “guru land” and support people on things you never even heard of. My own trainer described their first year working in Shopify as “everyday I started my shift I felt like I was driving off a cliff” and this is how I feel constant stress and pressure because each day I will be expected to support something I have no training in. THREE CHATS!! I shouldn’t need to elaborate but let me, No matter how long you’re here three chats is a daunting task and creates an extremely poor service especially as many merchants want their issue solved immediately. Imagine having to chat with three people, launch their stores, their admin etc, troubleshoot their issue or find info and then having to try business coach them towards the end of the chat it’s simply too stressful and borders near impossible for many. Some people might like it but two should be the Max and opt into three if you’re comfortable as opposed to pressuring people into three. Calls are somewhat nicer as at least then you’re only dealing with one person so you have breathing space. Throughout training and mentoring you’re given rather vague feedback and told you’re doing great to only then go into guruland and be ripped apart by your squad lead. Who will tell you it’s normal to know very little but then absolutely obliterate you for not knowing something and providing inadequate support. There’s simply no win! Escalated teams don’t work on live channels so everyone is rushing to get into those squads. This again creates a pretty harsh environment for gurus as you cannot simply escalate a problem and see it’s sorted quickly. The platform itself does seem well designed but has far too many flaws and allows dare I say too much customisation? This is fine for those who are actually able to code but 9 time out of 10 it is somebody following a help article that gets it wrong, contacts support, support don’t know how to code so are reading from the exact same help document and stressing themselves because they don’t know the answer. It’s toxic and really hard to deal with. There is zero pay for working extra hours, which is expected. Especially as you begin with the company a lot of your live interactions will be pushed to emails as you simply don’t know the answer. This in turn leads to a huge personal queue which you have 45 mins to get through, 15 mins in the morning and 30 in the evening. I have often had to stay way past my shift finish time as this “get it done” culture is embraced despite the stress and work life imbalance it creates. There is so much more I could say here but writing this even makes me stressed and sad. I don’t see myself lasting much longer in the role, the stress and pressure is too much and unfortunately this is common right across the company. Turnover is high due to the ridiculous demands and expectations.

Continue reading
  5. "Great Company with Great Benefits"

5.0
    Current Employee - Analista financiero y responsable de RR. HH. de fábrica in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Shopify full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Excellent company culture and great people -Good career opportunities and mobility -Fast paced and exciting environment and space to work in -Remote work and other benefits

Cons

-Salary for Gurus is a bit low -Remote work can be hard to manage for some people

6. "Guru"

5.0

I have been working at Shopify full-time

Pros

Pays well, treats you well

Cons

Remote work can be difficult

"Decent job if you're desperate"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Galway

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

work from home, some professional development time scheduled in

Cons

no growth opportunities, toxic work environment

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly colleagues, if you're lucky great leadership, open environment

Cons

Lonliness of working alone/from home

9. "Great environment for growth"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

Constant change keeps things interesting. Perks are great compared to other companies in the industry.

Cons

Remote can get lonely.

"Toxic place to work, do not believe the hype. Honeymoon period is a thing."

1.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Guru in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Shopify full-time for more than a year

Pros

The other Gurus you work with are nice people.

Cons

This company has an environment of high stress and high anxiety, with little to no pay increase reflecting the time and dedicated work of its employees. The leadership is very poor and inconsistent, especially at the squad and time lead levels. There is constant micro-managment. Performance reviews for Gurus are done by people who do not actually do the kind of work routinely that they critique, in some cases they have not done it for years. The place has a huge cult atmosphere. There is a ridiculously high burn out rate for staff. The type of work is very lonely and extremley isolating. There are high expectations in every aspect of your work, you will be monitored and recorded to a totalitarian level that puts 1984 to shame. There is a constant rat race to get out of Guruland and into another role. Guruland as a whole is a glorified call centre, nothing more, do not believe the hype. People are slowly drained of energy and most quit around the two or three year mark unless they move into a promoted role. Those who have moved on to bigger roles do not glance back. Promotions stink of nepotisim and cliques are rampant. Expect to work most if not all major holidays, weekends are also worked but you are not informed of this until after the hiring and training process. The place is in a desperate need of a union for employees. There is little to no long term planning, which is ridiculous for a company planning to be 100 years old. As a Guru, it is a soul crushing, empathy sucking, time demanding job and it will wear down anyone. There might be a reply to this review from management that will "understand where these feelings are coming from" and "it is not for everyone", they "empathise and understand" and they "make changes to address these kinds of issues" but that is lip service. They are looking to cover themselves and protect the company image at the cost of Gurulands wellbeing. It is business as usual and unsurprisingly they hemorrhage talent. All in all, it is a pretty bleak place to work, they will kill any enthusiasm you have for the role and I would not recommend anyone to work here.

Found 567 reviews