Liberty IT Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Liberty IT Managing Director William Hamilton
William Hamilton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Question marks over whether Belfast really want the Dublin office to perform" (in 4 reviews)

• "No real drive or ambition or even sense of direction from senior management, nor is there an attempt to actively combat valid concerns" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"For me, truly a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I worked at Liberty IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've started to write this review a few times but it's hard to put down in words what makes a company a good or a bad place to work and it can be different for everyone as the people we work with directly are so important to our own experiences.

For me it was the little things like being warmly greeted on my first day at reception or reading the culture and values while I waited there ... they speak of integrity, treating people with dignity and respect, which was my experience at Liberty IT from start to finish.

My time there was in EBAT/Hosting which became Compute and it was like being with friends and family; a safe place to build back some confidence in my own abilities that had been knocked in the past, I got to attend technical conferences that I wanted to attend, learnt some new skills, even gave some talks and started a meetup group.

If you are considering Liberty IT and reading these reviews I know they are all very personal but if it helps my only regret was not joining Liberty IT sooner in my career and I wish everyone there all the best for the future.

Cons

Very few but from my own experience context switching between different projects was sometimes an issue because there was so much going on.

Advice to Management

Just keep the Liberty IT culture going! It's so important how we treat each other.

16 Apr 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you for sharing your experience from your time with us. We are delighted to hear it was a positive experience and we hope you are enjoying your new role.
    Best wishes, Willie.

2. "Good Learning environment"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I worked at Liberty IT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

positive learning environment, internal opportunities, strong management

Cons

cant think of any , it was a good experience working there

Advice to Management

Stay the same which you are

7 Feb 2018 – Managing Director

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Best wishes, Willie.

"Steer clear."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I worked at Liberty IT (More than a year)

Pros

The entire technical staff are amongst the most highly skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals I have ever had the pleasure to share a workplace with.

On a personal basis, the staff are very friendly, there is a nice atmosphere in the Dublin office and people generally get along very well with one another, giving the vibe of a tight-knit community.

Canteen is subsidized with a fantastic chef.

IT Equipment in Dublin is very well spec'd and looked after with a great laptop refurb and refresh policy.

Cons

Obsession with management fads and buzzwords with little to no substance behind them.

Acronyms to beat the band with what appears to be the aim of coming across as "cool", "sleek" and "high-tech" when realistically, it's nonsense condensed and redefined into management speak.

Terrible quality of work. The onus is on technical individuals (with no consideration given towards personality type e.g introverts or extroverts) to procure "high quality work". Why have delivery leads? Why have senior delivery leads? It is the duty of those in management to ensure that the correct resources are assigned to key projects, or at least it should be. Management should be engaging to get high value/key projects from the US counterparts instead of passing the onus onto the technical staff, ridiculous business model that was more than likely invented to pass the blame and accountability onto lower-level individuals within the company. A Delivery Lead should ideally and realistically be looking to add resources to US projects at every opportunity, almost salesmen-like in their approach.

No real drive or ambition or even sense of direction from senior management, nor is there an attempt to actively combat valid concerns.

If you don't buy into the propaganda machine you have very little career opportunities which is sad, as a lot of technically sound people with real business impacting skills have left the company who would not conform to the nonsense.

Advice to Management

Cut out the buzzwords, cut out the nonsense and acronyms of "HPE", "LIT 2.0 Method", "WIGs", "BAMs", "KCCR", etc, this is not Silicon Valley. Focus on providing your staff with excellent, high-quality work for them to over-deliver on and solidify relationships with their US counterparts and potentially open up further avenues to lead on key, business-impacting projects.

Stop with the nonsense of blanketing ethos's and values, methodologies across the company. Not everyone is a software developer, not everyone needs to adhere to a practice that realistically does not apply to them, or the technologies/workspace they utilize. Acronyms won't fix problems, actual business plans backed up by research and reports (external customers, provide different levels of support etc) will. New acronyms or buzzwords won't.

Get rid of the Silicon Valley attitude, it's embarrassing. You are paying certain individuals in there a salary to sit there spewing propaganda which is overall contradictory and not really valuable. You need to really think about the direction you want to take the company in rather than trying to gloss over the problem, you have been told time and time again what the problems are. It is long overdue that you address them, otherwise you are just letting down your absolutely fantastic staff that you are very, very lucky to have.

I was not the first to leave due to all this nonsense, nor will I be the last.

22 Jan 2019 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I agree that the people in LIT are a pleasure to work with. I am sorry to hear you were unsure of the direction and ambitions of the organization... More

"Great at the start for the first year or so. Then went downhill."

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Blanchardstown
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Blanchardstown

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time

Pros

Great people and environment to work in.

Cons

Poor quality of coding work.

24 Jul 2018 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I see you are still a current employee so it’s really important that we address your concerns. It would be good to... More

5. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I worked at Liberty IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great Work/life Balance
    - Considerate Manager and colleagues
    - Great support for newcomers

Cons

- Lots of meeting

1 Feb 2018 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

Thank you for your feedback. Best wishes, Felim.

6. "A Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are crying out for bright people to showcase their creativity and self-lead visions.

This is a positive environment where employees are respected as individuals.

Passion for IT is fostered well here.

Cons

Apparently all of the above is dependent on your management team.

The Dublin office needs more talent to feel like an independent entity from the Belfast office.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with Units and recognition of fresh ideas.
    Avoid negative-reinforcement and harsh language that some managers have been guilty of.

4 Jan 2018 – Managing Director

Thank you for your review and acknowledgement of the positive impact of the new unit structure. If you have any ideas or would like to elaborate further on your advice to management, please get in... More

7. "Forward thinking company, great place to work."

Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here less than a year and have been impressed so far - LIT is a forward thinking company, interested in innovation and improving, both technically, organisationally and in business terms.

The Dublin office has a nice friendly, relaxed culture and everyone I have dealt with in other offices (Belfast and Boston) have also been great, I enjoy coming into work every day. The offices themselves are good - spacious and modern and whatever tech is needed is available.

There is an overall culture of wanting to be better in LIT - to have better coding standards, to be using the best cloud services, to trying new technologies and concepts, along with trying to actually be a nice place to work.

It's also good to be part of a larger company (Liberty Mutual) as it offers a greater scope of work and projects, along with travel opportunities.

Cons

None, all good so far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the progress, along with the communications.

12 Dec 2017 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

It is great to read about the positive experience you have had so far, especially your comments about the culture in the Dublin office. I enjoy coming to work every day too!

Best wishes
    Felim

"Avoid at all cost"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I worked at Liberty IT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Modern office lay-out and good meeting facilities, common areas and cooperation spaces.

Cons

They sell themselves as a leading and innovating IT company but it isn't. It's rather the IT department of an Insurance Company and most of the work is done on dated technologies and it's pretty boring.
    There is a huge disconnection between management and what really goes on and managers turn a blind eye to it, instead of trying to fix it.
    The level of politics on the place is unreal. And I mean unreal. It follows closely that of Leinster House.
    Employees are occasionally asked their opinion about the company and "things to improve" but the feedback is widely ignored unless it fits exactly with what management had already decided to do in advanced of asking. Therefore it's all a pointless and annoying exercise that makes you wonder why did they initiated in the first place..

Advice to Management

Take a paused long look in the mirror and think about what you are doing with this company as it needs a complete change of direction.

10 Nov 2017 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

I was very disappointed to read your review on a number of fronts but most importantly that you didn’t feel you had an opportunity to provide feedback or that feedback isn’t listened to. It’s hard... More

9. "PROFESSIONAL"

Current Employee - IT Helpdesk Agent in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - IT Helpdesk Agent in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Liberty IT (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, Professionalism between management and all others, Social Activities, Trainning

Cons

Location, Parking, Salary, Career Development

Advice to Management

Making more effort on get people to participate, engage on social events, training and career development

28 Apr 2017 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

I’m always delighted to hear from current employees as it guides and shapes our thinking as we move forward as a company. I was also really pleased to read that you find the work environment great... More

"Trying, but failing."

Former Employee - Software Engineer Java in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Java in Dublin, Co. Dublin

Pros

Modern office, good workspace. Flexible working options / work from home (team dependent). Good variety of people who generally are very amicable. Canteen & free parking. Good training opportunities for lower grades anyway. Office director seems to be really trying to improve things. Appear to be very active in promoting from within.

Cons

Brutal middle management - disconnect between upper senior management and whats happening on the ground. Constant turnover in staff affecting morale and stability. Salary not in line with Dublin norms. Shortage of experienced developers to lead teams. Poor support for legacy applications. Software engineering process is poor. Project managers only seem to care about budgets and deadlines, never quality of code or growing the teams skills, pay lip service to good development practices. Question marks over whether Belfast really want the Dublin office to perform. From talking to other teams, Dublin seem to get the junk projects.

Advice to Management

If you talk the talk, then you better walk the walk. There are so many messages being transmitted, its like every tech buzzword is whizzed around the place but often very little substance behind it, which means you lose credibility. Shut the Dublin office if you don't really want it to succeed, there's plenty of other companies in town hiring at the moment. Offshore all legacy applications if LM wont finance modernizing them. You have a two track organisation and nothing bridging them. You need to be very careful about what some of your pm's are doing.

28 Feb 2017 – Director Of Operations - Dublin

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, although I wish we had the opportunity to discuss it in person. Our Dublin office is growing and very much an integral part of our organisation, in... More