Liberty IT Reviews

3.2
Liberty IT Managing Director William Hamilton
William Hamilton
Pros
Cons
  • "No real drive or ambition or even sense of direction from senior management, nor is there an attempt to actively combat valid concerns(in 4 reviews)

• "LIT has been a very stable software shop for a long time(in 4 reviews)

1. "Good Learning environment"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Liberty IT full-time for more than a year

Pros

positive learning environment, internal opportunities, strong management

Cons

cant think of any , it was a good experience working there

February 7, 2018Managing Director

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Best wishes, Willie.

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time

Pros

Great place to work, great perks, talent and brilliant colleagues, lots of extra activities and work-life balance is awesome. Great technologies.

Cons

Autonomous teams might not be completely autonomous, but that happens everywhere.

"Steer clear."

1.0
     in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Liberty IT for more than a year

Pros

The entire technical staff are amongst the most highly skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals I have ever had the pleasure to share a workplace with. On a personal basis, the staff are very friendly, there is a nice atmosphere in the Dublin office and people generally get along very well with one another, giving the vibe of a tight-knit community. Canteen is subsidized with a fantastic chef. IT Equipment in Dublin is very well spec'd and looked after with a great laptop refurb and refresh policy.

Cons

Obsession with management fads and buzzwords with little to no substance behind them. Acronyms to beat the band with what appears to be the aim of coming across as "cool", "sleek" and "high-tech" when realistically, it's nonsense condensed and redefined into management speak. Terrible quality of work. The onus is on technical individuals (with no consideration given towards personality type e.g introverts or extroverts) to procure "high quality work". Why have delivery leads? Why have senior delivery leads? It is the duty of those in management to ensure that the correct resources are assigned to key projects, or at least it should be. Management should be engaging to get high value/key projects from the US counterparts instead of passing the onus onto the technical staff, ridiculous business model that was more than likely invented to pass the blame and accountability onto lower-level individuals within the company. A Delivery Lead should ideally and realistically be looking to add resources to US projects at every opportunity, almost salesmen-like in their approach. No real drive or ambition or even sense of direction from senior management, nor is there an attempt to actively combat valid concerns. If you don't buy into the propaganda machine you have very little career opportunities which is sad, as a lot of technically sound people with real business impacting skills have left the company who would not conform to the nonsense.

January 22, 2019Director Of Operations - Dublin

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I agree that the people in LIT are a pleasure to work with. I am sorry to hear you were unsure of the direction and ambitions of the organization. As you know we have regular Town Halls and Ask Me Anything events to talk about these areas, as well as a variety of internal channels including our monthly newsletter eLITe. Your comments on the overuse of buzzwords is welcomed. Our industry is guilty of this, therefore your comments will be passed on to our Executive Team. I would very much have liked a chance to speak to you in person about your concerns. If you ever wish to get in touch, please do. Best wishes for your new role, Felim

"Great at the start for the first year or so. Then went downhill."

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Blanchardstown

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time

Pros

Great people and environment to work in.

Cons

Poor quality of coding work.

July 24, 2018Director Of Operations - Dublin

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I see you are still a current employee so it’s really important that we address your concerns. It would be good to chat about this directly so please get in touch with me if you would like.

5. "Great Place"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Liberty IT full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great Work/life Balance - Considerate Manager and colleagues - Great support for newcomers

Cons

- Lots of meeting

February 1, 2018Director Of Operations - Dublin

Thank you for your feedback. Best wishes, Felim.

"A Great Place To Work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are crying out for bright people to showcase their creativity and self-lead visions. This is a positive environment where employees are respected as individuals. Passion for IT is fostered well here.

Cons

Apparently all of the above is dependent on your management team. The Dublin office needs more talent to feel like an independent entity from the Belfast office.

January 4, 2018Managing Director

Thank you for your review and acknowledgement of the positive impact of the new unit structure. If you have any ideas or would like to elaborate further on your advice to management, please get in touch. Best wishes Willie

7. "Forward thinking company, great place to work."

Current Employee - Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Liberty IT full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been here less than a year and have been impressed so far - LIT is a forward thinking company, interested in innovation and improving, both technically, organisationally and in business terms. The Dublin office has a nice friendly, relaxed culture and everyone I have dealt with in other offices (Belfast and Boston) have also been great, I enjoy coming into work every day. The offices themselves are good - spacious and modern and whatever tech is needed is available. There is an overall culture of wanting to be better in LIT - to have better coding standards, to be using the best cloud services, to trying new technologies and concepts, along with trying to actually be a nice place to work. It's also good to be part of a larger company (Liberty Mutual) as it offers a greater scope of work and projects, along with travel opportunities.

Cons

None, all good so far.

December 12, 2017Director Of Operations - Dublin

It is great to read about the positive experience you have had so far, especially your comments about the culture in the Dublin office. I enjoy coming to work every day too! Best wishes Felim

"Avoid at all cost"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Liberty IT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Modern office lay-out and good meeting facilities, common areas and cooperation spaces.

Cons

They sell themselves as a leading and innovating IT company but it isn't. It's rather the IT department of an Insurance Company and most of the work is done on dated technologies and it's pretty boring. There is a huge disconnection between management and what really goes on and managers turn a blind eye to it, instead of trying to fix it. The level of politics on the place is unreal. And I mean unreal. It follows closely that of Leinster House. Employees are occasionally asked their opinion about the company and "things to improve" but the feedback is widely ignored unless it fits exactly with what management had already decided to do in advanced of asking. Therefore it's all a pointless and annoying exercise that makes you wonder why did they initiated in the first place..

November 10, 2017Director Of Operations - Dublin

I was very disappointed to read your review on a number of fronts but most importantly that you didn’t feel you had an opportunity to provide feedback or that feedback isn’t listened to. It’s hard to respond when we don’t know specifically what you are referring to. We have our LIT Engages group which is proactively seeking input from employees to shape our working environment and has implemented a lot of change in response to feedback. Examples of these in our Dublin office include input into the design of our new working space on the 7th floor, increasing the training opportunities, additional kitchen facilities and the establishment of our LIT DeN (developer network for sharing and collaborating on technical ideas and concepts). We are continually looking for new ways to enable our employees to engage in two-way dialogue and provide us with feedback, whether that’s through LIT Engages, our newly formed Leadership & Support teams in the units or the Managing Director Q&A sessions which kicked off just last week. Best wishes with your new role, Felim

9. "PROFESSIONAL"

IT Helpdesk Agent in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Liberty IT for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, Professionalism between management and all others, Social Activities, Trainning

Cons

Location, Parking, Salary, Career Development

April 28, 2017Director Of Operations - Dublin

I’m always delighted to hear from current employees as it guides and shapes our thinking as we move forward as a company. I was also really pleased to read that you find the work environment great and have experienced a good level of professionalism among your colleagues. Our active social club at Liberty IT is important to us- providing employees with opportunities to spend time together and getting to know each other feeds into creating that good working environment you mentioned. You highlighted a few ‘cons’ which I’d like to respond to - career development; I would encourage you to speak to your manager during your check-in conversation which forms part of our Performance Review process – these are ongoing throughout May. As part of this process, you should create a personal development plan to support you in your current role and prepare you for future roles. We have a strong history in our short time in Dublin of people getting promoted from the IT Helpdesk and moving into other areas within LIT. And then on salary; we pay for performance and recognise employees’ contributions through the annual salary review and bonus. We conduct annual benchmarking exercises of our salaries and benefits to ensure that are always competitive to market. And do talk to me on your parking concerns as all employees are able to avail of free parking very close to our building. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Regards, Felim

"Trying, but failing."

2.0
    Software Engineer Java in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Liberty IT

Pros

Modern office, good workspace. Flexible working options / work from home (team dependent). Good variety of people who generally are very amicable. Canteen & free parking. Good training opportunities for lower grades anyway. Office director seems to be really trying to improve things. Appear to be very active in promoting from within.

Cons

Brutal middle management - disconnect between upper senior management and whats happening on the ground. Constant turnover in staff affecting morale and stability. Salary not in line with Dublin norms. Shortage of experienced developers to lead teams. Poor support for legacy applications. Software engineering process is poor. Project managers only seem to care about budgets and deadlines, never quality of code or growing the teams skills, pay lip service to good development practices. Question marks over whether Belfast really want the Dublin office to perform. From talking to other teams, Dublin seem to get the junk projects.

February 28, 2017Director Of Operations - Dublin

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, although I wish we had the opportunity to discuss it in person. Our Dublin office is growing and very much an integral part of our organisation, in fact we are just about to expand into a second floor in the building and we are proud of what we have achieved in such a short space of time. It’s disappointing and surprising to read your comments on management. Just last week, we were placed on the 2017 Great Place to Work small company list in Ireland where 85% of employees within LIT said management is approachable and easy to talk with and 90% believe management is honest and ethical in their business practices. As you have recognised, we place a lot of emphasis on training and try to promote from within where possible. We regularly benchmark our salaries to ensure they are in-line with the industry standard, and have focused a lot of time this past year on creating best practice models for our developers to learn from.

Found 72 reviews