Gartner Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall
1,452 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life Balance - Culture of flexibility is promoted that allows us to achieve our work goals while taking care of the personal agendas" (in 195 reviews)

• "Flexible work from home policies" (in 57 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Field Rep"

Current Employee - Account Executive, LSE in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive, LSE in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional development. Insight into corporate environments at organizations across business domains. Can meet with some of the most respected people in the world for technology. Consultative. Challenging but very possible. Collaborative culture. Competitive but everyone is rooting for each-other, "i want to beat you by 1 pt" type of competitive.

Cons

Very process oriented. Can be exhausting at times but the best practices are there. No need to re-invent wheel to be successful.

Advice to Management

More communication across different business units with feedback would benefit the org

2. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Client Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Client Executive in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gartner is a fantastic environment for anyone with a no limits mindset..For those in Sales they offer an excellent "value based" sales training course. The culture is excellent with super collaboration where everyone wants you to succeed. From day one you are set up with the tools to be successful and can take ownership of your career by continued development.

Cons

Extremely sales focused with high growth targets, be prepared to work hard. This also represents great opportunity.

3. "A great place to work for high achievers"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Dublin, Co. Dublin

I have been working at Gartner full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to work for ambitious high achievers who take ownership of their development and career. Superior training sets new hires up for success. Excellent development opportunities throughout career. Very collaborative environment. Uncapped OTE rewards high performers.

Cons

There are periods of high intensity and high demand on time which does not suit everybody.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring top talent - it benefits everyone as new talent inspires all.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager SMB in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at Gartner (More than a year)

Pros

Modern culture, flexible work environment, great facilities and amenities at work (gym, chefs, pool tables, etc)

You will get a lot of education and exposure with working with enterprise size clients and C-Level executives.

A lot of perks come with the company, great vacations, team days, fun events, and fun quarter closes.

If you like technology and big business, this is a great opportunity. The company is in front of the market and many business's will recruit you as they know people from Gartner are usually among the brightest.

This is a very good company, and they are growing like crazy. I have had a personal bad experience, but I would have worked for the company and done it all again. I would just have hoped to get placed on with a senior manager who was proven and a good leader.

Cons

Huge problem developing people. Academy is a process that is 2+ months long. After going through many interviews, flying around the country, and going through 2+ months of training's, you still might not be a good fit. A lot of people move just for this job, and they do not even know if they will make it through training and a lot of people don't.

Management is a problem, be careful of the bait and switch. In your interview process you will meet with VP and successful members of management, which is who determines if you get the job. However, that will more than likely be your last exposure with them, which I did not realize. When you come out of the Academy, you are going to be at random assigned a manager and a team. You have no control over the types of people or manager you have to report to. My experience was awful, I walked into a team that hated their manager. My mentor was going to quit unless the manager left soon, and 4 of the 7 people on my team left recently because of management issues. I walked into a less than desirable situation and I could do nothing about it.

Many people say people don't quit companies, they quit managers. This is certainly the case at Gartner. The turnover is tremendously high, they will downplay this hard, and many of my peers asked the same questions I did, and you will just feel that they are not being honest. They will want to pitch you and say that it is promotions, don't let them lie to you. Within my first year every person that sat next to me or on other teams around me had changed. Out of the 10-15 people close to me that left, 1 was promoted. They will force a lot of people out, they dont fire, but they put extensive pressure, and it happens a lot.

The problem really is not bad quality candidates or poor training. It is the lack of management. The majority of the managers are rookie managers who are not experienced with people development. Many are under the age of 30, and they simply lack experience of being leaders, they focus solely on being managers and managing numbers.

This is a dial for dollars job. Call Call Call, this is a call center. No matter how much they try to make it look cool or edgy, you need to be very clear on expectations, because the real job is to consistently cold call. The territories have been consistently shrinking has they are bringing in more and more sales people. The list of companies you get to prospect has been contacted many many times, in fact the company is now even switching prospect lists quarterly, so every quarter a new sales rep is reaching out trying to get a sale, which can make for tough cold call sessions and blitz days. The only way to come over that, is to find new start up companies to target, the challenge there is those companies are seeking funding, and you are asking them to spend more money then what they have in hope we can get them help with funding.

On top of switching your prospects, you may have to switch territories often as well. This is not a job where you have a specific territory and you develop and build relationships with people. You have to call and try to get the deal right away. When you do switch prospects or territories you have a few weeks at best to close anything that is already in the works. The problem is often you will get people to reach out to you months later when they are ready. Many sales jobs that is ideal as your efforts eventually pay off, but at Gartner, they are no longer your prospect and you do not get any rights at all to get that business, even if they ask for you it is a battle to get the business to fall your way.

You wont have any good tools for CRM or LMS. Tracking prospects or notes is not going to happen, everything is done via personal notes, which your not going to get once they become your prospect.

You must have spirit to work here. There are so many dress up days and theme days, you must dress up much like high school very regularly to have "spirit" weeks.

Do not get use to your team, change happens so much. There are a few sales employees who have tenure, but not very many at all. In fact many of the people who you will meet with tenure actually had most of that tenure in another role in the company, usually CP, the sales channel does not have that much success keeping people long term.

There are a lot of uncontrollables at this company. Your manager, your team, your territory, your book of business......all of that is something you have no say or control over. All of it impacts your income and longevity with the company.

You should not talk to upper management. When you get out of training, I was told by a lot of people on the floor that you should not talk with upper management on issues. Upper management is great to have fun with and interact with personally, but you should not have business issues discussed with them. Two times I had issues where I had a specific game plan to obtain a business deal, both these times my direct manager told me not to go with my game plan and go with hers instead. Both times her game plan did not work. So when I talked to upper management about the situation he suggested something different, which was the exact plan that I had in the first place, I asked him then how I could better communicate with my manager so we could have avoided this. That was a mistake on my part as that rocked the boat and made for a uncomfortable situation. Both of those examples I was able to save the business, and I felt I should absolutely be able to have a strategic conversation with my VP to better communicate with my brand new manager. But as all of my senior peers advised, don't go to management unless it is a massive huge problem or they ask you in to talk, just don't do it.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. If you get them through all of the interviews, the academy, and up on the floor make sure you are putting leaders in place to develop and retain talent.

Make strategies and plans open to the whole sales floor, you can tell some leaders are trying to spit out the words that they heard in a meeting to the team, but it becomes a game of telephone. Have the VP's hold team meetings, at least once a month with just there 3-4 teams that they over see. Allow the line level employees to understand what changes and shifts are going on, as they are the people who do the work to make impact and move the needle on those topics.

WHY? Why is your turnover so high, why do people not even make it one year? Maybe its all garbage people with garbage sales skills, but that is just to unlikely after all of the work that goes into quality candidates.

I noticed a lot of very intelligent smart people shutting down on the sales floor. Often senior management comes out to talk to teams, but they gravitate only towards the people who are the top 10% performers or who just closed a monster deal. It is not genuine at all, so many great people felt isolated and unworthy because there sales performance was not as good as good as it should be. Why are we not focusing on people development? Give high fives and props, and shoot nerf guns and celebrate with those who are experiencing success. Still make time and get to know the bottom performers, they are people too, and they are your people, be LEADERS, not managers.

This business should have some type of continuing education. There is so much to speak and be knowledgable about with CEO's, prepare some better strategies for sales to continue there education. LMS would be a good start. I often read a lot of key documents that pertained, but some type of structure or knowledge recap would have been helpful and helped me pick up key pain points on the phone.

5. "A great place where to start off your professional career"

Current Employee - Strategic Research Consultant in Milan (Italy)
    Current Employee - Strategic Research Consultant in Milan (Italy)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with extremely talented colleagues, from which you can learn since day 1.
    Competitive salary

Cons

Didn't find any relevant cons as of today

Advice to Management

Keep investing in young profiles to better sustain delivery activities

6. "The best onboarding training & working Environment"

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Barcelona (Spain)
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Barcelona (Spain)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Quick, clear and structured recruitment process
    - Structured, organized and pleasant training (4 weeks)
    - Excellent collaborative professional and welcoming environment

Cons

- Implementing a new software for admin, few procedures are not clear yet
    - Less flexible compared to other companies with flex hours/home office, but still fine and very open!

7. "Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gartner really has a sales methodology and their sales process down to an art. Well respected in the industry. Double digit growth for 8+ years running creates a great synergy within the org. Internal growth opportunities in many different practices.

Cons

Almost too process oriented BUT the processes do work and work well. If you're in sales and you want to do it "your way" you may have a tough time fitting in the box.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great collaborative environment.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was an intern here last year and now I've been in my Account Management role for a few months. The training here is unparalleled - the coaches are dedicated to helping you achieve your best potential and are always giving you advice on what you need to work on. I'm always trying to get better at what I do and it's rewarding when you see your progress. The opportunities in this company are truly endless and if you communicate your goals (or where you want to move up to within the company), they'll make sure you get there. Competitive salary and the benefits are great!

Cons

None - the company itself and management is great. The location I would say is the only con.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and presenting new opportunities to your teams as they come.

9. "Great Company"

Pros

Amazing Culture
    Great desk space
    Amazing Cafeteria

Cons

Very Competitive
    Lunch is not long enough

10. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Gartner full-time

Pros

Great culture and benefits

Cons

young management and success depends on the book of business