Drop Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Drop Reviews

Updated 23 Oct 2019

2.6
Drop CEO Steve El-Hage (no image)
Steve El-Hage

"Great Group of People"

Current Employee - People & Culture in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Drop full-time for less than a year

Pros

> The people here are great. I mean really great. Smart, thoughtful, passionate group of folks who are really invested in each other and invested about the work we do. It's the first company I've worked at where people warm up to you quickly and are very welcoming, which has been nice. > The benefits for a startup are solid - unlimited PTO, lots of flexibility to work remotely or while traveling. > A... lot of process driven people which I really appreciate.

Cons

> Lack of strong communication between upper management and rest of staff is par for the course for a company of this size, but I think senior leadership is genuinely trying to improve upon this. > I think we've had a lot of transition this year, and it's affected our identity as a company. What's the actual work that we do - what type of company are we, that kind of stuff. Clarity on our north star and... vision moving forward would be helpful and boost morale.

Drop2019-10-23

"Decent experience, but no internal growth"

Former Employee - Designer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Drop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At their best, they were open to new ideas and made time for creative experimentation.

Cons

They ultimately did not put enough faith in their own employees, allowed major design and brand decisions to be dictated by loose statistics and subjective choices. They had very qualified people on board whose advice should have been taken more seriously, but it took hiring people from outside repeating the same advice given previously (and ignored) for any change to happen.

Advice to Management

Listen to the professionals you hire; they are specialized in their work, and you should let them do it with the accumulated experience you hire them for.

Drop2019-09-25

"Nope"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Drop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hands-off management, minimal oversight, ever-changing priorities, little accountability.

Cons

Toxic culture driven by absentee executives who don't interact with any front-line staff. Poor inter-department communication tools and methods create misunderstanding, inhibit productivity, and engender distrust between teams. No 401K matching, questionable financial management.

Advice to Management

Make Community First Again

Drop2019-10-07

"cool gig with drawbacks"

Former Employee - Custom Product Manager

I worked at Drop full-time

Pros

Health insurance, freedom to work on ideas

Cons

At this point probably headed for an acquisition, had great opportunities and have done a lot right but I think Drop's time in the sun has set for the most part.

Drop2019-08-16

"Wheels Falling Off"

Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Drop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's always been the people. Most are passionate about what they do, extremely knowledgeable, and friendly as well. Everyone works hard but also knows how to have fun. The office space is beautiful and the amenities/perks are definitely nice. Also cool getting to see new products/prototypes come in and out all the time.

Cons

At the risk of sounding like a broken record in the midst of all the other recent reviews, simply put, Drop has lost sight of what's important and left employee well-being to the wayside. Being at Massdrop turned Drop for a handful of years, I realized there'd be challenges and growing pains along the way but held onto hope that with growth would come better structure and a vision for career progression and... overall company goals. Sadly, with greater headcount and additional funding, only came leadership that was stubborn and at odds with the existing company culture, instead trying to turn the company in a direction that only matched their unique (often unrelated) experience and understanding. Company vision grew cloudier and less transparent; every All Hands felt like a complete reorientation of what mattered. During my tenure we were a group buy website, an e-commerce platform, a community marketplace and forum, a site for enthusiasts, a product design company, and now even a market research/analytics tool. It’s no wonder you’d always get 10 different answers if you asked 10 employees what Drop is because the upper management couldn’t even relay it to employees in a clear way (even after a complete rebrand!). Most employees and teams are overworked, stretching to take on tasks outside their immediate job description but never seeing the compensation to match. Raises were few and far between with any actual increases being borderline laughable, especially when you’d hear through the grapevine what the budget was for other, newer roles. It always felt like the people who cared the most and put in the hardest work were rarely recognized for their effort, in favor of platforming the leadership and individuals in higher profile positions steering the ship awry. It’s hard to watch something you loved so much become a disappointing, soulless version of what it could have been, but I can only hope feedback is taken to heart and real improvements are made to put Drop back on course for success.

Advice to Management

Develop a clear company direction and mission statement that is tangible and communicable. Remember and care about the community and core members who made this site special. Invest in and value the employees who put in long days (turned nights) to build this platform and are/were committed to its growth. Find ways to breathe life back into a place that is becoming only a hollow shell of what it once was.

Drop2019-08-23

"No Transparency From Upper Management"

Former Employee - Senior Photography Manager

I worked at Drop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful hardworking co-workers Snacks Free Lunches Happy Hour

Cons

Zero organization or transparency when it came to upper management. The brand seemed to pivot according to the mood of how they were feeling rather than paying attention to data or the community. Constant feeling like I was in an episode of Game of Thrones, never knowing who or why someone was being pushed out. Constantly given contradictory feedback, when asking for clarity I was left even more in the dark. A... general attitude from upper management that everyone is replaceable.

Advice to Management

Find upper management that is organized, data driven, know what they want, and can leave their ego at the door.

Drop2019-08-28

"It always surprised me."

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Drop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great idea, great partnerships, great location, great products, but poor decision making. The company deserves to be bigger than what it is, but somehow on the way, the management stopped listening.

Cons

Poor decision making and other problems of a big corporation, while they are small.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees. Most of them are passionate and have the best of intentions for the company.

Drop2019-09-14

"Disappointing, disorganized and disconnected with their company"

Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Drop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are amazing, very friendly, open and fun. Lots of fun perks, like beer on tap, happy hours, unlimited vacation. But that was the only thing keeping me in the company.

Cons

No career path. Regardless of title, everyone does the same work, with out proper recognition or compensation. Below market compensation, very little to no chance of raises or bonuses. Zero transparency or communication on any level Senior management is unorganized, and do not take advise or criticism from employees. Position is not what is as advertised. Mainly vendor management, not actually... buying Business model consistently changes. company focus constantly changes. Changes are erratic and not fully thought through.

Advice to Management

I am extremely disappointed with this company, what started off as a great experience quickly turned into a terrible one. Management is inexperienced, erratic, and does not know how to communicate. My advice for the management team is set a goal and stick to it. Communicate your changes to your employees, they are the ones doing the everyday work on the front lines. This is a start up, not a 1000+ Fully... established corporation where there is a separation of power. The employees you are hiring have worked in other companies and have experiences beyond the "position" at Drop.

Drop2019-08-15

"Lack of Vision & Integrity"

Former Employee - Buyer in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Drop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly and intelligent employees, happy hours, unlimited PTO and a cool office.

Cons

Exec team and upper management are changing company goals and roadmaps constantly and most of the time they don't loop employees in. They also have a lack of respect for vendors and key accounts that have been partners for 5+ years. Not paying vendors on time, and keeping account managers in the dark as to why. Very little room for growth and promoting within is very rare. Salaries are low compared to the... SF/Bay area market for most positions.

Advice to Management

Treat vendors and employees with respect! Before pivoting to a new business plan, it might be beneficial to ask employees and community members thoughts before handing the Marketing Team a bunch of money to screw things up.

Drop2019-08-16

"Disappointed in Drop"

Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Drop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Happy hours GREAT employees. Colleagues were nice & cool to talk to Good benefits

Cons

Lack of company vision from top management. For myself, absolutely no path to career growth within the company

Advice to Management

Your employees are smarter and have more potential than you may think

Drop2019-08-17