Appway Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Appway Reviews

Updated Nov 8, 2019

3.1
Appway CEO, Founder Hanspeter Wolf (no image)
Hanspeter Wolf
  1. "Nice company!!"

Former Employee - Commercial Excellence in Chiasso

I worked at Appway full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in Appway 2.5 years and I can say it was one of the nicest working experiences I had: nice people, nice environment, nice offices. I had a manager who supported me and gave the possibility to work on multiple projects/areas I thought I can have an impact. The leadership team is experienced the CEO is super nice and kind, very friendly and treating people as people, not as employees or numbers. He built... over the years a nice company culture I suspect is very difficult to find nowadays. All in all I like it and I would definitely recommend the place to anyone eager to learn and to work.

Cons

There is nothing that I can think of as a "con".

Advice to Management

Be faster in the decision making process.

Appway2019-11-09

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Architect

I have been working at Appway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very open mind culture Strong cohesion - colleagues always available for helping Superb CEO

Cons

Easy to be job addicted - balance work/private life is challenging Very focus in niche market segment

Advice to Management

Avoid skilled people leaving company Keep stable teams on projects

Appway2019-09-20

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Appway full-time

Pros

Decent work life balance, that’ it

Cons

-Poor management policy -Extremely low wages -Higher management has no idea about the company as they are busy watching sports and doing Internal politics

Advice to Management

-Make sure you are listening to your employees instead of blindly forcing your decisions on them

Appway2019-03-12

"Turmoil period"

I have been working at Appway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working from home Flexitime Interesting projects Team is very nice and competent

Cons

High turnover Middle management capabilities Lack of opportunities Lack of visibility

Appway2018-11-23

"A fairly acceptable company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chiasso

I have been working at Appway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked in this company for a while and I've seen people joining and leaving. Some of the leavers were a big loss (but hey, a company is not forever, like a wife), others weren't. Actually, those that quit quickly or were fired probably are responsible for all the amenities that you can read here about Appway (i.e. all the 1 star reviews). What else do you expect from someone that has been fired or that moved to... another company after 6 months because discovered that he was supposed to do mainly bugfixes? Also, everyone writes reviews as software engineer. But hey, there are more reviews than developers. There's something strange here :) The funny thing is that most of the leavers were also not hard workers. You work hard the whole day, arrive early in the office, do overtime, but then you also have to hear from someone that spend most of his time smoking and drinking coffee that everything is bad. Please, in this case consider a long vacation, moving to another working area (e.g. agricolture) or taking a psychologist. I think that the job is much better than most of the jobs you can land in Italy and Ticino. The worktime is flexible, the office is amazing, if you pay there is a parking area (not so cheap), you have a kitchen and daily fruit and coffee. I also have seen how people tried to solve some situations which caused people to be unhappy (not always succeeding). The product is evolving and you do not have to do only bugfixes: we release a main release a year, something has to be done.

Cons

This stated, not everything is perfect. The code must be improved and the technologies we use must be updated with a severe urgency. Not everyone in the management sees this as a priority and just thing about cool thing we should do for the future. You can't transform a droid in the Death Star just by writing it into the 2020 plan. Change requires people and investment. Doesn't come for free. Rewarding is not... working at all and it is not related to the contribution of the person to the assigned goals.

Advice to Management

Ain't true that people are all the same. Consider cross department reviews. We have people that are pillars in the company and should be rewarded for this. Stay far away from any yes man: there are too many and they are too close to the CEO.

Appway2018-08-15

"Great Product and Vision"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chiasso

I worked at Appway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

if you are an engineer, go there if you look for a serious environement for java and javascript enthusiasts. teams are flexible and you can choose to work on various aspects of the product, they try modern product management practice,they have an accessible top management, they really believe in what they do. this company has a strong product focus and a really cool product. offices are very good, modern and lots of... space.

Cons

i can only complain on high level, like most companies that grow fast there are gap s in the communication but the management reacts and requests feedback and is not afraid of feedback, sometimes remote infrastructure is not good enough

Advice to Management

put more attention to online communication infrastructure, keep the fantastic employee onboarding. loved to work for you :-) keep it up !

Appway2018-08-09
  7. "Keep It UP"

I have been working at Appway full-time

Pros

great hiring process, great people no rat race, every one is helping every one feedback is asked, appreciated and heard they trim the fat

Cons

some growing pains, nothing to bad ...

Advice to Management

keep pushing the vision! its the future! keep the tech culture, keep the great attitude and interest towards the product!

Appway2018-08-13
  8. "One of the most interesting software companies to work for in Switzerland"

I have been working at Appway full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the most interesting software companies to work for in Switzerland: founder led and owned, international, gearing up for the next leap of growth Highly motivated and talented people to work with, high pace but flexible work environment Possibility to grow in many different directions and with promotions based on work delivered, equal chances for men and women

Cons

Change is a constant and drive to improve never stops. Can be tiring and needs an open mind at all times, this is not for everybody. Same for the expectations and pace demanded of people.

Advice to Management

A bolder focus on the vision and even more support for learning and development

Appway2018-08-10

"Career killer, stay away if you are an engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Appway full-time

Pros

Nice office and decent work-life balance since managers are so incompetent they cannot organize the flow of work to keep you busy. (but be prepared to work on useless stuff).

Cons

There is no learning opportunity at all, the technologies are creepy, old and badly implemented. Manager at every level do not care about people and do not have enough experience to lead the teams. HR is incapable to retain people and an inverse selection process is making the best leave and the old, incompetent developers/manager stay. In other words this is the worst choice you could make as an engineer, this... company is a career killer. CTO is just a knick-knack.

Advice to Management

Stop making fake 5 star reviews on Glassdoor...the whole company is laughing at your back.

Appway2018-08-14

"Absurdistan"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Appway full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Initially I thought the flexibility, but now I'm fed up of that too

Cons

The CEO of this company has a twisted vision of reality: he wants to sell to other IT companies their products, implying that they somehow know better than the other IT companies. The funny thing is that Appway is beyond industry standards in every aspect. The codebase has been written by coding school dropouts and would need heavy refactoring/rewriting but nobody wants to take that responsibility. The quality... is very low and teams spend a lot of their time fixing urgent issues. On top of that, the culture is really terrible, people talks a lot behind your back and are not afraid to put you at shame in front of higher management. Finally and probably the biggest issue is that they want to play the Champions League with the same people they had when they played in Third or Fourth League. These people, despite being considered as gods by management, are not capable to bring the company forward. Additionally they are afraid of new comers as these could hinder their careers and will not hesitate to diminish their work and to take an hyper-defensive approach to the awful current situation (in a few occasions, they have pushed that people who came from outside and were trying to change things would be fired or somehow forced to leave).

Advice to Management

Stop trusting the old developers, they are the real problem, they know very little about technology and about how to build a solid software product.

Appway2018-07-23