Industrial Light & Magic Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Industrial Light & Magic Interview Questions

Interviews at Industrial Light & Magic

2.7

Character Animator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic.

Interview

Getting invited to the interview is very difficult without an employee recommendation. Be prepared to show a reel with plenty of creature and vfx shots. Much of their hiring seems to happen on an as needed basis without a lot of planning. If you have an interview, chances are they are interested and will hire you. Do not stress over the meeting as it is probably just a formality.

Interview Questions

• How would you have animated the shots on your reel differently, if you had to do them again?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered a set rate and did not negotiate.

Senior Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

I received an email form one of the Hr. then invited to the site interview with several senior and lead artists.the interview was positive,all of the artists and people i met was super nice.the range of questions was regarding my previous background,my technical knowledge and how i would face challenges during production time.

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

After getting a referral and submitting a reel, I had a phone interview with the recruiter and a supervisor. It was clear, easy and quick. The questions were fair and insightful. They answered all of my questions and concerns. Soon after I received an offer. I negotiated briefly, and they were flexible. They gave me a couple of weeks to relocate. One of the best interview processes I have been a part of.

Interview Questions

• There were no really difficult questions. They were honest and clear and encouraged me to be as well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA (US)) in May 2009.

Interview

Received a call from one of the senior recruiters and spoke on the phone about my interests and skill sets. When a position opened up. I first met with the Department Manager and Production Management Coordinator. A few weeks later I was called back for a second interview with the Producer and Production Manager.

The interview process was good and we discussed my previous experience, the way I would handle specific situations and the reasons for wanting to work at ILM.

I felt prepared for the interview and the people that I met with were very positive, outgoing, and pleasant to meet.

The only downside was that after the interview there was a month and a half before I heard anything. Thankfully I was offered the position, but there was little contact until that time.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw George Lucas walking around the building?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA (US)) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied for one position, and was interviewed for another. I did a phone interview with them 2 weeks after initially submitting, and there was the basic "why do you want to work here", "what kind of experience do you have" kind of questions. Very easy. They were also upfront about the job expectations as well as salary and benefits, which was a big plus to me. They liked me enough that they wanted to pass me on to the next round...

... but the next round never happened. After 6 weeks of follow=up calls and emails, I never heard back, save for maybe once or twice. Very frustrating. It's one thing to be rejected, but to be left hanging like that? Not great.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA (US)) in September 2011.

Interview

Met with a producer to discuss an upcoming project. Was straightforward interview. We discussed the team size and structure, typical day to day responsibilities and expectations. They weren't able to share the details of the project with me, but that is normal. The interview questions were typical - strengths/weaknesses, long term goals, taking direction from others.

Interview Questions

• Attention to detail, ability to multitask.   1 Answer

Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, MO (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, MO (US)).

Interview

There was first a phone interview that only lasted about 10-15 min. It was a breeze and they really just wanted to ask about who was generally... she only asked 1 or two questions. At the end of the call she said she would like me to come in for the in-person interview. The in-person interview took a while to schedule but it was a lot more formal and was pretty standard. She asked a lot about my resume and situational questions

Interview Questions

• What was a time you were not in charge and had to follow orders? Did you have a lot of jobs like that?   Answer Question

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very fast and felt rushed. Most of the interviewees were late which and extremely busy, which I understand, but feel that my time was disrespected also. They were all very nice and felt approachable. I was able to ask questions as well. I felt like i did most of the talking which allowed me to fully explain my background and experience. Make sure you go prepared with your body of work and questions on hand. If you are offered a position then push for higher pay and a corporate housing if you need it. Overall I felt like the process was fairly easy and that if ILM is in a pinch they will quickly hire without fully thinking it through. Fortunately I was a great fit for them and them for me!

Interview Questions

• What production hurdles have I faced and how did I overcome them   Answer Question

Negotiation

not too much. Stand your ground and get more pay!

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2012.

Interview

After an initial phone call with the hiring manager, I attended a group interview at the San Francisco office. This turned out to be a bit of a "firing-squad", with a row of managers looking suspiciously at me from across a boardroom table. Pretty frosty atmosphere in the room, no signs of warmth or humor. I was unable to elicit a positive reaction to anything I said, and so was surprised to receive a job offer.

Interview Questions

• As always, I was asked what questions I had about the company. As ILM takes confidentiality very seriously, try not to ask anything they'll feel they can't answer about how they work or what projects they have in house.   Answer Question

Compositor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2015.

Interview

I was called and asked many questions on my background. It was just a basic screening call. And was told to send my reel for review by the department leads.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.