Industrial Light & Magic Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.4
Industrial Light & Magic CEO Lynwen Brennan
Lynwen Brennan
Pros
Cons
  • "Broken pipeline, kept on life support by legacy ILMers who refuse to change(in 13 reviews)

• "I don't think they get the same standard of training as San Francisco(in 8 reviews)

1. "Role for pipetd"

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Singapore

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits from Disney, and you can work on star war/marvel movies.

Cons

Hard to promoted, need more time to become a senior role.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-11-18

"Protect Artists, Not Toxic Supervisors"

Former Employee - Animator in London, England

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time

Pros

- Very talented team with some of the most experienced people in the business. When there's challenging work, there's lots of opportunity to learn from them and grow as an artist.- Reasonably laid back working style. There's not a lot of pressure forcing artists to work unpaid overtime during the weekdays. Weekend work can be necessary during crunch time but the artists are always given the choice of saying no... if they have other commitments. - HR is helpful and understanding if there are personal issues interfering with work. - Nice facilities including bicycle parking and showers with fresh towels. Very useful for people commuting with bicycle or going to the gym before or after work. - Better pay compared to other VFX Facilities in London.

Cons

- While most of the team consists of friendly people who are great to work with, the occasional toxic personality can really bring the entire morale down. Especially when it's a supervisor who has been complained about to the HR multiple times and the company has chosen not to take any action against. It's very discourging to see decent and talented artists being subjected to abusive and condescending behaviour, not... being protected by the employer and leaving the company or refusing to return at a later time, as a result. A company of this size and reputation should protect its employees over a single individual no matter how "important" they might be. - Little to no job security. They are unable to compete with other VFX vendors in London and cannot get decent amount of quality work as a result. And this means lots of people being let go on the regular. Unfortunately ILM has become very unreliable for artists who want to have a stable and reliable income.  - Bad management of projects causing financial loss on the regular, which in turn means Christmas bonuses are cancelled. It would be hard to complain about this, considering it's just a nice gesture and not promised or guaranteed. But it's incredibly frustrating when you're being bombarded by coorporate Disney about how amazing the company is doing, while artists are not only not being rewarded for their hardwork but are also in risk of losing their jobs. It feels like a slap in the face when the big boss gets a yearly bonus that could pay everyone's salaries for a decade.

Advice to Management

Protect employees over management. Figure out a way to get more efficient and competetive and bring more work in London.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-09-18

"Alright company but London doesn't have the ILM culture"

Former Employee - Digital Artist in London, England

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great artists, amazin talents. If you like franchises, really good projects Good for the CV Good salaries There is a will to change things, but things take very long to materialise Some good Disney benefits (free parks entries)

Cons

old pipeline artist management is not great contract renewal usually done at the last minute London office doesn't get the same benefits as SF, ILM SF has a long VFX culture that didn't not reach London. uneven quality of supervisors, some are great some are bad They struggle to get new work, which resulted on a massive wave of lay off. More and more work is sent to 3rd party companies. No much space to grow,... limited career development.

Advice to Management

There is work in modernising the pipeline but this is moving too slowly. ILM has to find a way to be more competitive. Maybe reduce the number of supervisor, streamline some departments, be more agile with the artists. Be more reactive, everything moves too slowly.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-09-12
  4. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - VFX Production Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good health benefits, Disney benefits.

Cons

So much overtime. Poor management.

Advice to Management

Terrible leadership.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-08-30
  5. "Amazing office for film buffs - plenty of talented colleagues"

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time

Pros

Work with motivated, talented super smart colleagues on blockbuster movies. Drink coffee with supervisors who have won multiple Oscars

Cons

It's long hours, but we all know what we are getting into.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-08-18
  6. "I want to develop my knowledge and personal life"

Former Employee - Roto Artist in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Job secure then there have much more technical knowledges

Cons

Always i will do to complete challenging work then only develop my knowledge so always i would like it

Advice to Management

Give me chance for pour people working to abroad then only develop knowledge and Telnet carrier

Industrial Light & Magic2019-08-16
  7. "Over worked and under paid."

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The amazing movies and quality of work

Cons

The management is a mess and full of cronyism.

Advice to Management

Treat loyal workers more fairly. They are the ones making the magic and churning out the pixels.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-08-04

"I actually quite like this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been around the block and I like ILM a lot because it is much more well-oiled in process. You have to learn a bit quick the processes, but this place has been good to me and building up my career. Senior leadership trained me well, and now I feel more than prepared to do anything and capable as an artist. Benefits are really nice and they pay for OT. All the medical, 401K is good, when you first receive... vacation it might seem like accrual is slow but you work OT often that it accumulates very fast. Take that as you will! I've been lucky to work with projects that are very flexible with OT, but some producers are not as flexible so it's more luck of the draw. Sometimes it's worrying because Canada is cheaper and I've wondered if San Francisco's office would lose its spot, but now I'm more than confident that San Francisco is here to stay. I feel secure more than ever and assured that if I ever left this company I can do anything.

Cons

I'm a bit concerned with the studios in Vancouver, London, and Singapore. I don't think they get the same standard of training as San Francisco. Sometimes jobs are so bad, they always come back to San Francisco. Training and leadership (maybe incentive for SF members to move to other places?) I think is definitely needed. I got hired at the cusp of Disney buying Lucasfilm. I know this place was ran a little... differently before. You can see some Disney decisions bleed. It does feel like projects now revolve around them and approval, and not as many original projects are coming to our studio anymore because Disney vetos it. My bottom line comes down to this. I've never been to a VFX studio that was perfect, that didn't require OT and all that jazz. As sad as it's a bit of an industry standard. Hours reflect other places I've worked. If you don't like it here because of OT, it's more or less the same everywhere.

Advice to Management

Training is not equal across the board.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-06-17
  9. "Had a great time"

Former Employee - Junior Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working on the biggest/best projects in the entertainment industry, all of the time.

Cons

Chose to leave after seeing layoffs, at the same time we were hearing we'd made record earnings on films. All of the work is being outsourced.

Advice to Management

Fairer pay for Jr artists that live in the area, keep work in the Bay, otherwise management is pretty awesome.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-06-14

"Under appreciated"

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Industrial Light & Magic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The caliber of the people working there is high. ILM is the best at what it does!

Cons

There is HIGH turnover in production. The salaries are laughably low and coordinators are underappreciated in general. You have to leave the company and return if you want to get promoted beyond Coordinator.

Advice to Management

There is zero focus on retention.

Industrial Light & Magic2019-06-10