FactSet Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Find jobs for Software Engineer

FactSet Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at FactSet

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Austin, TX (US)) in April 2019.

Interview

Started with a phone interview, a pretty standard technical question. 2 whiteboard, 1 code review, lunch, then one with team leader. Coding questions weren't too hard, but technical interviews were pretty long, an hour each.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for FactSet

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)) in September 2009.

Interview

I had a phone interview int he beginning not bad it was ll about data structures. then I was invited for onsite interview. There they interviewed me on Object oriented concepts gave me LEGO blocks and asked me to model it. Then they gave there was code review what wrong or right in code etc etc. Then they tested me on algorithms tree and hash tree based. then I had interview with HR, who took a lot notes. I had my final interview with the director. It was fairly simple. Be through on your basics. Ohh I had a dinner the night before, They were good but I was not good enough

Interview Questions

• Asked me to model a Lego systems. They were testing my object oriented concepts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at FactSet in October 2009.

Interview

Had a brief phone interview about my background and my skills, but nothing technical.

Went in later that week for an all day interview. Questions were more about algorithms than specific C++ syntax. It wasn't that difficult, but my nervousness and unpreparedness cost me dearly.

I wasn't really asked about my specific reasons for wanting the job nor was I asked what I thought of FactSet.

Interview Questions

• Given an array with 100 spaces that receives a range of numbers from 1 to 101 how do you find the missing number.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (New York, NY (US)) in March 2008.

Interview

After passing a phone screening which varies according to position, you are asked to come in for a 5-6 hr interview. The interview consists of 3 separate 2:1 sessions covering technical abilities, a 1:1 with a director that focuses on company culture and your career goals, and of course lunch with 2 current employees.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated very little, but was given a very fair offer. My only advice is not to let promised incentive comp alter your view of general compensation because it varies drastically by team. I would also suggest negotiating an adequate starting title as this weighs into compensation metrics.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (New York, NY (US)) in January 2010.

Interview

Scheduled a phone interview with them for Friday afternoon at 4:30 CST, and got the call at 3:45 CST. I had sent a code sample of a linked list implementation in C++ I had written while trying out Unit testing. We primarily discussed the code sample, how to improve it and what considerations I had when writing it.

Interview Questions

• How would you allow any type of object to be stored in this linked list?   1 Answer
    • How would you allow multiple items in the list to be accessed simultaneously?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Norwalk, CT (US)).

Interview

Simple phone screen. In-person interview. I met with 3 different groups of engineers that asked questions. Had to write answers on a whiteboard. They took me to lunch. The people are pretty friendly, but mostly fresh out of school with no other professional experience. I don't think they asked really valuable questions. I don't think someone knowing the difference between "private" and "protected" is a real indicator of their overall abilities.

Interview Questions

• It was basic C++ standard stuff. "Create a class with a virtual function" etc...   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got the salary that I asked for.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FactSet.

Interview

I got a call from someone in HR, and we talked about my classwork and school projects. A few weeks later, I got an email telling me that there were some openings, and we scheduled a technical phone interview.

The phone interview was very straightforward. They asked me about basic OOP questions (ex. polymorphism, generics, access modifiers). I was notified the next day that I had passed this round and we scheduled on onsite interview.

There were seven sessions: product demo, three technical interviews, HR interview, lunch, and interview with the director.

Technical interview one: They gave me C++ code for a linked list, and asked me to determine the output and to suggest improvements for the code. Even though I don't know C++, I was still able to follow the code based on my Java skills.

Technical interview two: Code a stack with push(), pop(), and getMin() at O(1).

Technical interview three: Class diagrams for a car rental service and corresponding database tables.

HR interview: We went over the previous interviews, and then there were some behavioral questions.

Director interview: Array based question - no coding here, just discussed approach to solving the problem.

They said that I would hear back in two weeks, but I got a call just two days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• 1) Linked List code review
      2) Code a Stack
      3) Design question   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate - the offer was very generous.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FactSet in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through School job web side and 1 week later I got invited for a on campus interview. They asked me general questions about C++ and its generic question as well as a coding question, which you need to implement a queue using only stack.

A week later I got invited to an On-Site interview, there are 4 most important parts, Code review, Technical design, Algorithm, and discussing with site manager

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FactSet (Hartford, CT (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through university career fair. Got a phone interview scheduled in the next week. They asked thorough object oriented concepts and basic sorting questions. Also was asked 2-4 basic questions on tree traversal etc and told to explain the pseudo code. There was no actual coding involved anywhere.
    Got a call for onsite in 2 days. The onsite interview was pretty straight forward standard Factset approach. In the first round I was given a C++ code of linked list implementation and asked to find bugs. Some of the other people interviewd on same day were given Java code though. In the second round they asked me to design some card which I said I am not familiar with then they told me to choose any game of my choice. I choose Tetris and they asked to explain everything on board. I have previously prepared for Tetris game and studied the classes so I started explaining that then the manager changed the class design and told me to explain with the classes he described and use OOP concepts like inheritance, polymorphism etc. I did my best and explained all functionalities but I might have confused them a bit.
    In the third round they initially asked some UNIX commands questions and then asked to write code for a tree traversal question on board. And they asked to explain searching a dictionary. I explained it through Trie and they asked many more questions about Trie. I did well in this round. The interviewers told me that all technical questions were done for the day so I felt relaxed.
    Then a guy from my team took me to a restaurant for a lunch but continuously asked questions for next 1.5 hrs which I didnt really expect. He asked everything from Priority queues, AVL trees, distributed programming etc. I couldnt answer many questions here and I felt terrible. He is smart but also sounded very arrogant and was always belittling my previous company experience. I didnt even eat quarter of my lunch with him continuously asking questions. None of the other people on my day were asked any technical questions in the lunch though.
    Next round was with HR, which was basic feedback round and general questions.
    Last round was with the hiring director. He explained the job role which is mostly working on the DB and said it involves only about 30% programming and rest analyzing. I had a certification in DB2 in my resume so he went on asking questions about DB2, MySQL etc. I unintentionally didnt show much interest in this role and then he explained another role which is also work on DB but involves a bit more programming of 70%. At the end he asked me choose one of them, but i said I am fine with either of them(which is a big mistake).
    At the end there was talk with an executive along with all other interviewees.

I got decision on the next working day and I didnt get the offer. I thought I performed well and was expecting they wouldnt consider the lunch interview. But I guess they did and it would have really impacted the decision. Also the final round with manager wasnt that good which might also have impacted.

Overall I really liked the interview procedure and the hospitality of Factset. I am really disappointed that I couldnt get in although I performed well in most rounds. The only bad experience I had was the lunch interview from the member of the team.

Interview Questions

• C++ code of linked list implementation, Tree traversals, Tetris game design, Trie, OOP concepts.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at FactSet (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

one phone interview, once it done they will contact your if you are good for an on site interview, one on site interview, it is whole day interview, technical question in the morning, other interview in the afternoon. Lunch is provide.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.