ExxonMobil Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

ExxonMobil Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at ExxonMobil

3.3

Chemical Engineering Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Austin, TX (US)) in September 2018.

Interview

Applied through campus career center, online, and visited Exxon at campus career fair. Two weeks later I was extended an invitation for a first round, behavioral interview. It was a 45 minute slot. They promised a decision within two weeks of the interview but requested more time to make their decision on my application at the two week mark.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for ExxonMobil

Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil in January 2019.

Interview

Application forms then an online test, followed by a video interview then if successful an assessment centre. Application process takes a number of weeks to progress through each of the stages but they notify you on your process throughout.

Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in October 2018.

Interview

Submitted CV and cover letter and was invited to campus interview. Online tests numerical and verbal reasoning tests were omitted from the process due to campus recruitment scheme. The interview was with a panel of 2; an experienced manager and a recent graduate. It consisted of roughly 45 minutes of competency based questions and 15 minutes of technical questions. There were only time for about 3 competency based questions because the interviewers kept asking for elaborated details on the answers given.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I dealt with a project not going to plan/having to adapt a project plan.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in December 2018.

Interview

Applied online and then received an invitation to complete a numerical reasoning and personality test.
    After a week I was invited to a skype interview with an Exxon employee. The questions for this are the same as what is posted on glassdoor (interpret numerical data, time you solved a problem etc)
    After 2 weeks I was invited to a face to face interview in Southampton. The interviewer was friendly and pushed me to get the best answers, so ensure you know your scenarios inside and out.
    The questions were all fairly standard and if you have a lot of different scenarios to draw from it should be okay.
    The assessment centre comprised of a written task, a panel interview, a group task and a presentation. Each of the activities are based on a single project (either retrofitting or building a new line). There is no right or wrong answer, they are judging your approach and whether your values fit in well with theirs.
    Panel interview consisted of an interview with 2 senior Exxon employees on basic competencies with a short technical portion. The technical section could be anything from fluid mechanics, control of unit operations or process economics within a refinery.
    Ensure you emphasise your answers in the panel interview in the STAR format by explicitly telling them what the situation, task, action and result are otherwise they won't write anything down, as I learned the hard way.

Good luck

Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

I applied online and received an email for an online assessment, which consists of a numerical test and a personality test. After that is a Skype interview with one of their associates

Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

After passing the online numerical and situational assessment, I was invited to a skype interview (30 mins long) that ask questions regarding my past experience (there were no technical questions at this stage).

Interview Questions

• All questions started with Tell us a time when..:
      - you had to work in a group and there was a conflict between two members
      - you had to change your way of thinking or technique (since it was not working) and apply a new method that would excel in this situation   Answer Question

Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil.

Interview

Application, Numerical Testing, Skype Interview, (Face-to-face interview), Assessment Centre.
    Skype interview was by an external company - purely competency-based.
    Somehow skipped face-to-face interview (I'm assuming they were in a rush to hold assessment centre.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to change your approach to something   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (Southampton, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

completed numerical and verbal. interviewed by HR person via phone general competency based questions. interviewed at Southampton site in October 2017 - two people present during the interview, they expect you to answer based on the STAR method.

Interview Questions

• why exxonmobil? why the particular role? long-term goals. Trends in the gas and oil market, where you would invest money and technical questions on distillation.   Answer Question

Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ExxonMobil (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Skype interview after submitting my CV and completing the online numerical test. Thought it would be your average skype call, turned out to be a voice call. The interviewer seemed friendly and when I didn't employ the STAR method of answering competency questions (due to nerves) was very kind and allowed me to expand. Overall, the interview lasted approximately 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when your ideas differed from the rest of the group, what did you do about it?   Answer Question
    • How do you go about searching for a job?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you were able to influence others on an important issue. What approaches or strategies did you use?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Interview at the Fawley site with two senior engineers. General competency/STAR based questions and a brief technical question focused on what to consider when increasing the capacity of a pipeline between two storage vessels. Very difficult interviewer but they pushed to get the best answers out of me. Received an assessment centre offer.

Interview Questions

• When have you worked as part of a team? What was the result and what did you contribute?
      When have you been put in a difficult environment and how did you cope?
      How can you improve the profitability of a refinery?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.