WorldRemit Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

WorldRemit Reviews

Updated Nov 1, 2019

2.7
WorldRemit CEO Breon Corcoran (no image)
Breon Corcoran
Pros
  • "nice office, free breakfast, easy job(in 9 reviews)

• "The purpose of the company is second to none - helping migrants send money to their families(in 8 reviews)

"."

Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at WorldRemit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The purpose of the company is second to none - helping migrants send money to their families .

Cons

Culture could be much better

Advice to Management

Change the culture to a very significant extent

WorldRemit2019-11-01

"So much potential but needs a lot of work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Denver, CO

I have been working at WorldRemit full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very diverse company and I love working with people from all over the world

Cons

Communication, Communication, Communication! So many missed opportunities because we don't communicate with each other. Don't feel like there's a lot of growth within the company.

WorldRemit2019-10-05
  3. "WorldRemit is No Longer a Company for Migrant Workers!!!"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at WorldRemit full-time for more than a year

Pros

When you are a foreigner, the truth is that you want to be surrounded by people that often understand you. That is the reason I wanted to work for WorldRemit.

Cons

As long as you do not speak M.B.A English, you will not go anywhere in the company. The marketing team management does nothing and gets away with it; everybody cares about how the presentation should look like to impress the CEO about things that are not even doable, more than the results. When you are a migrant hired by this company, it seems like they are doing you a favor, not because they care about you. It... amazes me that, as a company that derives a significant percentage of its revenue from migrants customers, WR so badly mistreats people of color, including their employees.

Advice to Management

Just because someone did not grow up speaking English the way that you do, does not mean they are stupid. WorldRemit serves 99% of those people and if you are not able to find that in your employees then it will be hard for you to win the market. For some of you is just a job and for some of us, it meant something.

WorldRemit2019-10-19

"Nice office, shame about the rest of it."

I worked at WorldRemit full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There aren't that many. Most of what was good has gone now, as WorldRemit is under new management. There was free beer and snacks on a Friday, but that has been "voted" as unnecessary now.

Cons

Where do I start. If you're based in London, and have the skills to work in a Fintech, go somewhere else. This job will be a stain on your CV.

Advice to Management

You had a smoldering platform and then you hired an inept CTO who has poured petrol on to the smoke. The 1-day outage recently was just a taste of things to come. All the people who understood how thingsworked have left (or were pushed), and you now have a "team" in Poland who suspiciously arrived with the CTO and are now trying to rewrite everything, but can't even get the simplest changes in to the current... platform. Get real guys. You're spending millions on unneeded technology change, while all the talent that built the business is walking out of the door to go and work for your competitors. Nice job. Your competitors thank you for that.

WorldRemit2019-09-16
  5. "Improving but slowly"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at WorldRemit full-time for less than a year

Pros

Diverse workplace where people really do want to make a product that works for users. Nice office. New tech stack is moving in the right direction. Management are trying to change and improve.

Cons

Previous poor management. A lot has change in the last year and this process has not been handled well. A large number of engineers have been off-shored to Krakow. There is a definite cultural split between senior management and more junior staff.

Advice to Management

Spend more time thinking actually how plans will be actioned end to end. Break down large changes into more smaller pieces with clearer checks on progress more frequently. Take time to celebrate wins more often with employees of all levels.

WorldRemit2019-08-31
  6. "Ambitious Company. Expect Change. Expect Growth"

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England

I have been working at WorldRemit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* High growth - engineering team has a lot of new headcount * Ambitious plans - lots of effort being put in to modernise the platform and use the latest tech - docker, k8s etc. * Really high engagement with customers, good mission - helping migrants to send money home for healthcare, housing, education etc. * Relaxed office, friendly people

Cons

* A lot going on, change in structure and projects * Some part of the stack are quite old now, there's projects to tackle them but they will take some time

Advice to Management

* Do less, better. There are a lot of projects going on which has overhead in coordination and management. * Build bridges between offices - it's hard to keep culture and grow when there are multiple offices involved.

WorldRemit2019-08-30
  7. "Good product, nice people"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at WorldRemit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Aim of the company and product is great People are nice Great office Great location

Cons

Krakow office should be better organized. Communication should be improved.

Advice to Management

Management's decisions should be communicated better. Don't get obsessed with GitPrime stats.

WorldRemit2019-08-20

"Toxic environment with high turnover, lack of focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at WorldRemit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office location, flexible working

Cons

I joined WorldRemit because I was inspired by making a difference. But profit these days comes over people -- both customers and employees. It is a frustrating place to work as goalposts shift continuously, your title can change at the drop of a hat without input from you or consideration of your career ambitions, and emotional intelligence is sorely lacking. We recently went through a values exercise but in... principle only not in practice.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to culture, invest in people's careers for the long-term -- they will be loyal to you. Consider the workload of junior and middle-management. Growing astronomically but compensation and benefits not keeping pace.

WorldRemit2019-08-29

"Gain experience and move on!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at WorldRemit full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll definitely learn a lot on the job because their training is not conclusive. Overall, it's an easy job but management puts a lot of pressure for results, so this is absolutely about quantity not about quality.

Cons

It always feels like there's an elephant on the room. The elephant may be the micromanagement that's going on in the background. So always keep in mind what you're doing and how it will impact your results. I mean it. Oh, did I mention that you need to wait for management to approve your 15 min break? Worldremit, seriously? It may be because I've never had to do this in the past but this is ridiculous. Also,... benefits start after your 3 month "probation" to see if you have what it takes to last on the job. So always cover your butt! HR doesn't explain how this works in the beginning so you have to do your homework and plan accordingly. Plus, I don't think they have 401k and such since nobody has told me... again Looks like company has lost a lot of money in the past so they're now taking action to make more money Relationship between Cebu, Denver and London may not be as good as they portray them to be, so keep eye out for this too. There's been high attrition lately so plan accordingly which is why I conclude... Worldremit has good people but it's not worth spending the rest of your life in it unless you like being micromanaged. So gain experience and move on!

Advice to Management

Care more about your front line employees! Because if you care about your people, your people will take care of your results.

WorldRemit2019-08-10

"It used to be a lot more satisfying, but the new management seems awfully focused on chopping expenses"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at WorldRemit full-time for more than a year

Pros

The most multicultural company I've ever worked at. Above market salary for some developers. Some very interesting challenges made this a fascinating industry to work at. Some projects used very new technologies.

Cons

My biggest complaint here is that the new management seems way too focused in becoming profitable. Even at the cost of losing very valuable people and systems knowledge. Also, communication with London is very poor.

Advice to Management

If laying people off is necessary I understand, but a LOT can be done to make sure there's less of an impact after this happens. The other day there was a 4 hour outage for the main portal and no one did anything. Seemed like the guy on call had been laid off and the new chain of command hadn't been set. Very dumb, unnecessary problem. Finally, if the intention is to build all software in Poland I'd suggest to at... least have a Product Owner where the final customer is. Having the customer, scrum master, product owner and developers all in different countries is a recipe for disaster.

WorldRemit2019-07-08