Whitepages Reviews

Updated 15 Apr 2020

4.3
Whitepages CEO Leigh McMillan (no image)
Leigh McMillan
Pros
  • "Good work-life balance and opportunities to grow your career(in 24 reviews)

• "Fully stocked kitchen, free lunch every other Friday, happy hours, & really fun intern events like whirlyball & kayaking(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you want to be a miniscule cog in a monstrous machine, Whitepages is not for you(in 20 reviews)

• "Although we have great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching(in 15 reviews)

1. "A Great Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Vice President Advertising Operations in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Whitepages is a small company with great benefits and good pay. Our management is exceedingly transparent with bi-weekly updates on all aspects of the business. Our employees are highly competent, hard working and fun to be around. Because we are such a small company, you will have the opportunity to grow your career in almost any direction you choose. And you will struggle to be bored because we have so much to do.

Cons

If you want to be a miniscule cog in a monstrous machine, Whitepages is not for you. You will have significant autonomy to do your job without bureaucratic overhead; So you will need self discipline and drive to succeed. We have a lot to do and never enough time and people to do it. You will be busy working here.

May 13, 2020Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your insight on the company. Having been with Whitepages for such a long time, we appreciate your service and wish you continued success!

2. "Whitepages"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working in Whitepages Full-time for a little less than 6 months. Transparent leadership, management is aware of their goals and upcoming roadmaps and planning ahead with the market changes. Great opportunity to work with a diverse team and a smart group of people. Good work-life balance and opportunities to grow your career. Since its a small company, it gives you the opportunity to contribute and have ownership of your work. Employee benefits are pretty good and management takes good care of the employees.

Cons

Although Whitepages offers great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching. Being part of small companies you have to wear multiple hats which can be challenging at times to fulfill different responsiblities. Managing the workload is the biggest challenge.

May 13, 2020Director, Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your feedback and insight as a software engineer and the makeup of the teams. We appreciate you hard work and dedication to getting the job done.

3. "Amazing office environment and coworkers"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great location and office environment - any time I had a friend or family in the office, they were impressed. Great culture of coworkers that encourage a work+life balance, and support diversity and different view points. From a business standpoint, the senior leadership looks ahead to business trends to ensure that the business will remain viable and adapt to market needs. Great internal mobility too - managers find a way to help people grow and exercise new skills. I'm sad to leave this team, and would happily recommend it to others.

Cons

Not a con, but something to be mindful of: the product is focused around personal data, which can be a sensitive topic. With that said, I've never seen any coworkers mishandle this data, and they've always treated it with the respect deserved. Markets dealing with personal data are in a delicate state right now, but Whitepages is truly sticking to their motto of "data for good" and finding ways to support consumers in the rapidly changing world.

April 2, 2020Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We’re glad that our commitment to using data for good is resonating with you and we will continue to focus on consumer's needs with this in mind. Hearing the positive feedback around employee mobility and growth is very welcome, too. As you’re aware this has been a focus of ours since the Ekata spin-off and will continue to be as we move forward. Best of luck as you embark on your new journey.

4. "Great leadership, company culture, and flexible work-life balance"

Current Employee - Growth Marketing Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time for less than a year

Pros

Transparent leadership, great company culture, and flexible work-life balance. Being part of a small team (30ish employees) gives you the opportunity to contribute and have ownership of your work. You get to work with several other employees, and learn a lot about each part of the business. With big company goals, there is always something to work for and look forward to.

Cons

Although we have great benefits and employer HSA contributions, Whitepages does not do 401k matching.

April 2, 2020Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We’re pleased to hear that your experience has been positive and you’re learning about the business as a whole. Allowing employees to have ownership and learn from each other, as well as being able to impact our company goals is the culture we are striving to achieve. As a small organization, we have looked at how to best use funds designated toward our benefits, and though we currently don’t have a 401k match, in addition to an employer contribution to our employee’s HSA accounts, all employees participate in our bonus program based on company goals. We’ve structured the plan to allow these bonus payments to be 401k eligible, so employees can defer some of these funds for retirement if desired. We continuously evaluate our benefit offerings and appreciate your feedback as we look toward the next year. Thank you for your contributions and we're here to support your continued success!

5. "Small Company with Big Goals"

Current Employee - Fraud Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Executives follow through on claims of/beliefs in transparency Because company is so small, managers are encouraged to have employees work on specialized projects Career development is a focus for everyone Everyone gets the chance to know other people in other departments just from a quick stop in the kitchen

Cons

You have to be able to keep your head on a swivel, strategies to meet or exceed goals can change quickly Because of the small company, everyone is held accountable for the things their team is responsible for It can be difficult to get leadership focus on projects that aren't top of mind for certain goals

April 2, 2020Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review. As a leadership team, we believe transparency in the business is critical, because without transparency, it’s difficult to do your job well. We’re glad to hear this is something that you’ve experienced, and we will strive to continue providing this. Supporting career development also has been a key focus of ours since the Ekata spin-off and we’re glad that you’ve been able to benefit from that as well. Small companies have the advantage of being able to move quickly without a lot of bureaucracy and to your point, that can make it challenging to keep your priorities aligned. Please reach out to your manager or me if you feel that you’re not getting the attention needed to move projects forward or have question about direction. We can work with you to help bring the right visibility to leadership or remove roadblocks if you need some support to get to the finish line or even if you need support understanding where the finish line is. We appreciate your feedback and are dedicated to your success!

"Can be good for new grads"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Whitepages full-time for less than a year

Pros

Location is pretty convenient and they provide good equipment. I can see this as a good opportunity for new grads or those looking for their first job.

Cons

Insane turnover and most employees are new grads. Can be very frustrating for more senior employees.

November 18, 2019CEO

Thanks for sharing your candid feedback and I am sorry Whitepages wasn't the fit you were looking for. Since getting past the disruption of the Ekata spin-off and we've added significant talent to the team. We've added a stellar VP of Engineering and rounded out the senior team in engineering, product and UX with smart, collaborative and thoughtful people who are great mentors and colleagues in addition to the experience and technical chops they bring to the team. We've also built out career development resources and opportunities and to better help everyone across the company learn new skills, take on more responsibilities and advance their careers - whether a new grad, individual contributor, manager or senior leader.

7. "Poised for growth!"

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time for less than a year

Pros

Super engaged senior leadership. They realize the challenges of not just the organization, but what the people who make up the organization have gone thru. There is a clear plan in place and the parts and pieces are coming together to make it a reality. There are really smart people here and they work together really well. You can literally see the learning and growth and how the company is adapting to a changing landscape. It's fun being a part of the office!

Cons

Great place if you are willing to be adaptive. The changes are well understood and the team is working hard at moving the right direction. I wouldn't say this is a con at all, unless you are the type of person who wants to do the same thing everyday.

Continue reading
  8. "Healthy work environment & culture"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager

I have been working at Whitepages full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked at Whitepages close to a year now, and I can honestly say that it is the healthiest work environment I've ever been a part of. Although the company is relatively small, and there's a lot to get done, leadership promotes healthy work/life balance, and understands that not everything can be done at once. For a team of this size, Whitepages has a lot of incredibly talented folks. The company as a whole is is full of collaborative, fun people, and it's apparent that we all genuinely enjoy working together. The diversity here is unlike anything I've ever seen for a company this size. Whitepages leadership/recruiting doesn't just talk the talk - they actually walk the walk when it comes to recruiting/hiring people from all different walks of life. It's very refreshing. For a not-so-sexy product, I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of the projects I've worked on (more so than I expected, to be honest). Every employee is encouraged to take ownership of their projects, get creative, and push back when they feel strongly about something. There's a lot of transparency within the company. It's easy to see how your work impacts the business. The company pays competitively and offers a lot of perks (free snacks, drinks, HH, Friday lunches, good insurance, solid bonus structure, etc.) Whitepages genuinely values their employees. Leadership cares about every person here not only as an employee, but as a person. They make that apparent in how they handle career development & personal goals, health/benefits, etc.

Cons

Data aggregation isn't sexy, plain and simple. It takes a little bit of time to get used to people giving you a funny look when you tell them you work at Whitepages. However for most, that's easy to move beyond. Small company = lots of hats to wear. Every employee is expected to juggle a wide array of projects and tasks, and it can become overwhelming at times. Thankfully, leadership is aware of this, and they make a point to promote an open door policy so that you can speak up if you're feeling swamped. Resources can be scarce, and it can be tough to get things done quickly. This is something leadership is aware of, but it's an obvious pain point that the company is still working through.

9. "Great place to grow!"

Current Employee - Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Whitepages is a great place if you're looking to make a direct impact with your work and grow your career. We have a great new group of leadership who encourage and empower us to pursue new opportunities in our respective fields. - I don't feel the need to tiptoe or beat around the bush with my manager, we are very direct and open. My manager also treats me like a person, not just an employee. They are very understanding that life happens and the work/life balance is the best I've ever seen at a company. - Whitepages doesn't stand still or become complacent. We are always looking forward and it continues to be an exciting place to work. - The overall culture feels more like family/good pals versus co-workers. Employees go out to lunch together, happy hour, etc. Everyone is just so friendly and welcoming. - We have the most diverse group of employees, especially for such a small bunch. - There are a lot of the typical tech company perks such as snacks, lots of drink options, events, happy hours, lunches, stand-up desks, etc.

Cons

I completely understand the pros of hiring new grads, but we need some more mid/manager level engineers to mentor these youngins.

"Whitepages"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Whitepages full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been with Whitepages for 3 years, seven months now and when I look back on all the major events, I can mentally point out where I had a valued impact on Whitepage's success. When you work at Whitepages, you have the opportunity have a lasting legacy that you can proudly look back on and grow from.

Cons

Small companies tend to require stepping out of your normal role to take on more responsibility. The biggest challenge is managing your workload.

Found 130 reviews