Web Summit Reviews

Updated 25 May 2020

3.5
Web Summit CEO Paddy Cosgrave
Paddy Cosgrave
Pros
  • "Although I enjoyed my time in that company I really missed all that Web Summit had to offer(in 7 reviews)

• "A startup atmosphere with a very easy going atmosphere and free gym(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Mundane work and the office is a shed(in 7 reviews)

• "No HR, horrible salaries and no career progression of any kind(in 5 reviews)

1. "Data Scientist"

Former Employee - Associate Data Scientist in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Web Summit full-time for less than a year

Pros

- It's the best data science team I've been a part of. Everyone's super smart and helpful and kind. You are encouraged to learn and develop professionally through online courses and seminars (which the company pays for). The management is great. - Get to travel to different countries. - Nice long Christmas break (2 paid weeks off).

Cons

- Very long working hours close to and during event time. - Doesn't pay as well as other companies.

Web Summit2020-05-13

"Formative but frightening"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Web Summit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working here was a very formative time but also a real eye opener into why companies have things such as HR and feedback policies. The best thing about it was the connections made both with other staff and conference speakers, media, contractors, etc. You do end up with a wide network as a result of the nature of working for a conference with such broad scope, which is beneficial as long as you remind yourself to keep stock of that and utilise it when the time is right.

Cons

The sheer lack of any employee welfare policies while I worked here was frightening. At the time, the first HR manager walked out on the job, another employee entered a screaming match with the founder so loud that the office had to be cleared out to allow them to settle it, another employee threw a laptop across the room during a town hall and these are just a handful of incidents. Salaries were also borderline below minimum wage for the hours works and when I questioned the possibility of a rise after a year, I was taken into a tiny storage room where my direct manager intimidated me, threatening me with the founder’s “wrath” if I was to continue asking about salaries. However, I continued to ask and was subsequently summoned by the founder and basically told I should feel #blessed to have the honour of working for such an organisation and money shouldn’t matter... Sadly, I can’t live off my family’s earnings so this was the last straw for me and I left.

Web Summit2020-04-03

Web Summit Response

April 6, 2020Internal Communications Manager

Hi there, I’ve read your response and I am disappointed to hear about your experience of working at Web Summit a number of years ago. I started with the company over 5 years ago and since then there have been huge changes in our culture and the company. I can’t comment on the exact situations that you have brought up however you do state that “The sheer lack of any employee welfare policies while I worked here was frightening.” I can unequivocally state that we have an extremely strong People Operations and Human Resources team with ten people including myself. We put our employees' needs at the forefront of the business at all times. You state that “At the time, the first HR manager walked out on the job” Our Head of HR has worked for the company for the past three years and is extremely well respected throughout the company. I will say however that we are also improving in every way and our Human Resources team has become stronger over the years and the company as a whole is continuously improving all the time and is different to what it was when you were here many years ago. You also made reference to salaries - we are 100% in line with standard salaries and have improved them over the past four years. If you have any further comments please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our People Operations team at peopleoperations@cilabs.com Thanks Eleanor.

3. "Startups"

Former Employee - Startups Accounts Coordinator in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Web Summit full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best people you can find. Great office environment and standard perks (free gym, breakfast, etc). Great work life balance.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive, which make people leave the company after a period.

Web Summit2020-02-27
  4. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Web Summit full-time

Pros

The people in here are great The autonomy in the work is a big plus An Irish company that's continuing to grow

Cons

Office is an older building

Web Summit2020-02-17
  5. "Nice place to work, community feel"

I have been working at Web Summit full-time

Pros

good energy in the work place. travel.

Cons

office building looks a bit tired

Web Summit2020-01-29

"Good benefits to the job but people are clique and difficult"

I worked at Web Summit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travel Agency Barista on site Company mac can be used for personal use too

Cons

People can be very rude Not totally friendly Favouritism is rampant Only a 30 or so space car park meaning if you’re not high up, you’re not getting a space.

Web Summit2020-01-19

"Avoid."

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Web Summit full-time for less than a year

Pros

You are give 6 free counselling sessions per year, which you will need to use.

Cons

I scanned the last 3 pages of reviews and pulled out things I observed during my employment. Hopefully it's helpful and identifies a clear pattern. CEO - Immature, Micromanagement, Unprofessional, Dysfunctional Agreed. CEO throws tantrums, actively degrades and abuses staff loudly in an open plan office. There is nothing subtle about it. Doors will slam, people will cry and he will pretend it’s all normal. HR - Overselling positions, Constructive dismissal, Corrupt function Agreed. The HR function is compromised and corrupt. The recruitment team actively oversell positions in the interview process. They are ALWAYS hiring. Constructive dismissal is so common that each week, at least one person will go ‘missing’. Management - Bullying & Abusive, Inexperienced, Incompetent Agreed. Management are usually appointed by CEO to run a team a particular way, and not because of their skills. These are people he went to school with or knows a long time and are trusted act in his interested. While there are some good managers, the majority are unfit, incompetent and would not be employable anywhere else. Culture - Sexism, Machavian, Cliques, Fear, Intimidation Agreed. There is a clear inner circle. This consists of 3 teams who sit closest to Paddy. If you’re not in the inner circle, consider yourself on a short term contract because the management in this circle will get rid of you. HR will do what these people want and if you aren’t in, you’re out. This is in addition to gossip and politics, which is more aggressive than standard. Ethics - unfair pay, media woke-washing Entry level staff who do most of the physical or demanding work are not paid well. If tickets are not selling CEO will use woke washing to push up numbers. Figures for conferences and events are skewed to look like they are a big tech event. This is to sell expensive tickets to bootstrapped startups. Overall It’s an exhibition sales business, who’s sole function is to line the pockets of a CEO who doesn’t care about startups. Avoid.

Web Summit2020-02-11
  8. "Rewarding place to work"

I have been working at Web Summit full-time

Pros

amazing colleagues, exciting projects. huge potential for growth and promotion within company. criticism is listened to.

Cons

a lot is expected of you, and long hours/working outside of 9-5 can become norm

Web Summit2019-10-12
  9. "French Partnership Manager (exhibitor team) for 18 month"

4.0
    Former Employee - Partner Manager in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Web Summit full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great workmates many become your friends. Some Manager are very inspiring you can learn a lot from them(Speaker Director, Customer Success Manager, Exhibitor Manager) Gender equality well respected probably the only tech company in Dublin with a majority of female manager. Be part of the best tech event in the world help you to grow as a professional and it is a massive advantage on your resume. Not much pressure/micro management compare to other sales team in the Dublin tech industry (no cold call culture ) Start up atmosphere. You get to work with other team often. Travel to event. The Garden is great. Staff parties are unreal. The office Tramway house is uncommon type of occ The Ceo Paddy is great,i personally never had any issue with him 5aside on Wednesday ::Italian hands::

Cons

Commission structure could be much better. Not easy to build your pipeline during your 1st year. Processes and strategy change regularly i guess its part of the Start up atmosphere. Target in the Sales team aren't really realistic according to me. Some people do get let go without notice and it could ruin your mood if you are close to them. Career progression can be difficult but i guess it is the same everywhere.

Web Summit2019-08-07

"Great place to progress"

I have been working at Web Summit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good career progression. If you are willing to put in the work then you are rewarded. The work is always interesting and challenging Very friendly co-workers Travel

Cons

Longer working hours the closer you get to an event.

Web Summit2019-07-23