Ultius Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Ultius Reviews

Updated 26 Sep 2019

3.8
Ultius CEO Dante Frizzoli (no image)
Dante Frizzoli
Pros
  • "We are dealt with fairly, even with unhappy customers writers are still treated justly(in 25 reviews)

• "The editors are always helpful and customer service goes above and beyond(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Editors don't read the notes on the project and have to be reminded of what's going on (a quick summary/overview helps with that)(in 41 reviews)

• "They do not like prolific writers as they do not really want to pay you the money(in 29 reviews)

1. "Overall a Good Experience"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Ultius part-time for less than a year

Pros

Quick Responses from Staff Good System Layout

Cons

Limited work You learn as you go

Ultius2019-09-26

"Company doesn't care about writers, will terminate contract over slight offenses"

Former Employee - Writer in Houston, TX

I worked at Ultius full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, I made decent money while working there while working from home. Likely the best remote job I've had so far, but I haven't had too many so that doesn't say much. It was fairly easy money for the most part.

Cons

You are basically writing papers for dumb college kids who are lazy and can't write. At times they will be rude and request insane things. The company will mark you and force pay cuts for slight issues with the writing, most of which are due to the client's own negligence. They do not like prolific writers as they do not really want to pay you the money. They ultimately want to keep an influx of new writers to... maintain leverage over their workers. They will fire you for slight offenses that are extremely negligible, such as having an identical sentence in a document from another document that was submitted by the writer. This is pretty ridiculous, yet they constitute it as "self-plagiarism" which doesn't really exist.

Advice to Management

Admit that you're breaking the law, admit to your writers that they won't be around long, stop pretending like you're an actual company when you are an essay mill.

Ultius2019-03-07

"It's a great company"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Ultius full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love my job and can work whenever, however, and wherever I like. Not everyone can handle that freedom and responsibility which is presumably why there is a dissing review on this website

Cons

There is not a lot of team interactions. All you, all day. That's how you play.

Advice to Management

Keep it real.

Ultius2018-08-20

"Excellent!"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer

I have been working at Ultius part-time for less than a year

Pros

You choose your work load, the payment is fair, and in peak seasons the work is plentiful.

Cons

Sometimes there's no work at certain periods.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job. Thank you!

Ultius2018-05-30
  5. "Support Rep"

I have been working at Ultius full-time

Pros

Amazing environment, great management! They have everything you need to feel like you're at home in the office.

Cons

Can get slow during their slow season.

Ultius2018-05-26

"Freelance Writer"

I have been working at Ultius

Pros

flexibility, you can choose your own assignments

Cons

inconsistent work; slow summer months

Advice to Management

get better editors

Ultius2018-05-15

"Where are the orders for new writers? Please, show more!"

Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Portland, ME

I have been working at Ultius full-time for less than a year

Pros

At the moment, I am a bit irritated because new writers aren't even being given the fair chance to prove themselves. There's always a catch. I've read many positive aspects from writers about working for Ultius, but these writers have been working for the company as freelance writers for at least six months. The pay is certainly fair for the work the writers do. Paying by the hour would be even better but to me, the... pay is not the problem at all. So, I guess the pay, freedom to pick from a lot of different orders (once you've completed your first 20 orders) and freedom to take vacations when desired are some of the positives. I learn something new each week. Based on my own experience so far, the editors, interviewers and administrative assistance team are honest and respectful. This job is something great to add to your résumé if you're right out of college and need more professional experience in the writing field.

Cons

It is extremely difficult to reach the 20 minimum amount of orders new writers must complete in order to apply to have access to graduate orders, regular orders, and urgency orders. This makes no sense, and it's absolutely frustrating to refresh your 'Take Orders' page in your account multiple times throughout the day only to have just one or two orders showing up at max. New writers should be allowed accessed to at... least half of the Freelance queue (default for writers). There are a lot more than two orders available, but they just won't allow new writers to have access to everything right from the get-go. New Ultius writers will struggle to complete even just one order starting out if they can't even find a topic they studied proficiently, or at least a little bit, in college. Good luck doing that based on the one or two available orders. All in all, there is no topic variety in the orders for new writers. This is a problem. You need a lot of patience starting out, and not all writers are patient because they just want to get started writing. The excuse of "low season" is a bit of nonsense because even during low season, more than two orders usually still exist each day.

Advice to Management

Allow new writers to see more than just two orders in his or her own account. Stretch it out to like eight or nine, and don't allow them to take urgency orders or graduate orders starting out. Not only is this more fair, but it guarantees new writers the chance to prove themselves being able to choose from multiple assignments in the regular queue category. This would also make it easier for editors to work with... these new writers. Why would an individual, who majored in English or history in college, take an order in the subject of nursing or biology? That is not a good plan. This is turning away new freelance writers because they can't find work when logged in when the work is actually available for every other writer. Perhaps, this would be more fair if new writers received a higher pay for fewer orders starting out if they don't have to make any revisions. There should be some kind of a compromise here.

Ultius2018-05-01
  8. "Not a Bad Way to Make Some Extra Money"

Freelance Writer

I have been working at Ultius

Pros

Flexible work schedule, ability to improve your writing

Cons

Slow times means that not many orders are available, editors can be unresponsive at times, clients can be unreasonable at times

Ultius2018-02-28

"Dream Job Come True!"

Current Employee - Writer in America, OK

I have been working at Ultius full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have found my dream job at Ultius, and am going on my fourth year as a writer. Ultius has allowed me more freedom and success in life with the ability to set my own schedule, chose my own jobs through interest and availability, and develop strong client relationships. I get paid to learn and help people, and I feel like my dreams have truly come true.

Cons

It would be great if a 10 minimum for a page was the norm.

Advice to Management

Thanks for being so supportive!

Ultius2018-02-12

"Solid"

Current Employee - Editor in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ultius full-time for more than a year

Pros

Accommodating to my schedule. Centrally located. Great office. Everyone in the office is very nice. CEO is very easy to work with.

Cons

Not very many. They've taken good care of me since I've been with them over 2 years now.

Ultius2018-01-22