Skyscanner Reviews

Updated 29 Jun 2020

3.3
Skyscanner Chief Executive Officer  Moshe Rafiah (no image)
Moshe Rafiah
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is also a strong selling point - working from home policies are very flexible and there's no expectation to work long hours(in 45 reviews)

• "Good work-life balance and flexible working hours(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Squad leads (except a few) are total bullies(in 15 reviews)

• "Too much consensus decision-making: I'm not sure why they keep promoting this tribe/squad structuring when(in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - IOS Developer in Barcelona

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's one of the most ethical companies that I worked for. Also, they have a strong stick to the culture in their veins. So if you would like to know how is the day to day work in Skyscanner you should just go and read their values because it's exactly what it is. We evaluate each step of the development process confronting it with our culture values.

Cons

Sometimes being the only iOS Developer in a squad could make you feel lonely and lost. Cross-squad collaboration is encouraged but it's hard because everybody is busy at something. But is not inexistent, it's just a bit harder.

"Many great people but poor senior managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great product with many millions of users - User focused culture - Leadership genuinely cares about the people working there and do their best to treat them fairly - Many smart people to learn from - Great offices and wfh policies

Cons

- Execs promoted during a period when the company wasn’t hitting targets - no accountability for results at that level - Tribes don’t collaborate well together as tribe leads are only incentivised to lead their own projects instead of playing for the greater good - Execs are very distanced from the day to day and are unable to help teams connect the dots - Bigger and ambitious projects are almost impossible to succeed due to lack of collaboration across tribes and lack of support from Execs - A great example of the above was Need for Speed - where was the CTO during that time? Half the senior managers involved were promoted before the project delivered any value. It took hiring a new VP for someone to have a look under the hood and put an end to that mess. - Some senior managers are clearly only interested in inflating their job title - HR is slow and inefficient - there are important improvements to be made to the PSR process which are being procrastinated for years (particularly around the gap between needs improvement and meets expectations)

June 18, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there - we’re glad to read that you felt that leadership genuinely cared about treating people fairly at Skyscanner whilst you worked here. This year’s employee survey results highlighted that 90% of our employees are proud to work at Skyscanner and 89% would recommend us to others. However, we know there’s always room for improvement and we’d have loved to have heard more about the areas you feel we could work on, as mentioned in your review. We always encourage our employees to take the time to speak to someone in the People team in confidence to discuss further if they can.

"Used to be a great place to work, now not as much"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Extremely talented and smart engineers - Great office spaces - Perks of working for a big company like going to conferences, free swag etc - Using a lot of cutting edge technologies - Very progressive Agile DevOps culture - Good work life balance - Great career opportunities - Good transparency of how well or not well the company is doing with daily revenue reports

Cons

- Upper management seems disconnected with the rest of the company, making organisational decisions without much rationality. For example, I have had a total of 5 managers during my 2 years there because of how many organisational changes had happened. - Almost impossible to get promoted to Principal Engineer level or above. - Low salary compared to how hard it is to get in. - The culture has transitioned from a start-up-like casual culture to a colder corporate one which means politics play a big role now.

June 23, 2020Skyscanner

Hi there – we appreciate the time you’ve taken in posting your review and we’re delighted to hear the positive aspects of the experience you’ve had working at Skyscanner. Of course, there’s always work to do on improving how we operate and we like to listen to feedback so that we can improve the way that we do things where possible. We’d always encourage our employees to take the time to speak to someone in the People team in confidence, to discuss feedback further if they can.

4. "One of the best"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Positive culture, empowered teams, good vision

Cons

Frequent Changes, impacts stability a little bit.

"improve middle management"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Barcelona
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Skyscanner full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked as an engineering manager at Engines tribe. I met really senior software engineers building amazing software for a super complex problem. We tried to build correct solutions without fall on over-engineering solutions. Company values are great to help teams focused on delivery.

Cons

On the other side, the company has a problem with middle management (between c-level and squads), breaking the autonomy of squads, no clear scope for senior managers, promotions are a mess and often performance reviews are used to blame people instead of providing space to personal growth.

June 18, 2020Skyscanner

Thank you for taking the time to feedback to us, we want to ensure we’re continuously improving in all areas, so it’s very helpful. We always strongly encourage our employees to talk to the People Team in confidence to discuss the issues they may face so that we can action where we can.

6. COVID-19

"Awesome company and brilliant culture!"

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Just had a quick read through some previous reviews and the negative ones really do baffle me. I'd hate for any potential new employee to be put off by these. While everyone has their own unique experiences, depending on variables such as line manager and team etc, some of the negativity is quite frankly, just nonsense. If someone is unfortunate enough to feel that they are being bullied or are suffering from feeling a lack of inclusivity then there are several channels for employees to report this (Glassdoor probably shouldn't be the starting point), whether this be confidential or otherwise. The company is so protective of its unique culture, especially as the number of employees grows. Personally, I've never worked with such a diverse bunch of humans - it's brilliant! So many people from different countries, faiths, gender identities, sexualities (the list goes on). The company are inherently generous. They are always looking at new ways to make sure we are happy at work. Never settling for just the 'standard', they always try to go over and above. Whether that's something small like a fully stocked soda fridge and fruit bowl or amazing summer staff BBQ's or the lump sum they give us every year towards our own holiday. We're so lucky. The way Skyscanner has handled the current COVID pandemic internally has really been quite outstanding. While our travellers and partners remain our priority, the Exec team have made every effort to ensure employees don't have undue pressure during what is a difficult time for everyone. On a personal level, it's helped me massively - knowing that there's breathing space. The consistent motto has been "do your best" and they know and trust that every single one of us will.

Cons

None, zilch, nada, nein, ninguno (there was a 5 word minimum requirement).

7. "Unique opportunity"

Current Employee - Engineer in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work/life balance, flexible working, treat you like an adult

Cons

Sometimes the emperor is naked

Continue reading

"Good people but too much communication overhead"

Current Employee - Product Designer

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart and talented people Good work-life balance Welcoming and respectful company culture High-end offices and tools

Cons

Many meeting sessions and communications needed tó achieve something I felt it's too much engineering and data centric when making decisions, rather than putting the users first I could not use my creative skills enough as a designer in the projects There should be more inspiring leaders in the design team

9. "Overall good"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time

Pros

Nice place to work with really nice people. It's a good place for starting your career.

Cons

Processes over people, which makes things difficult like trying to get a promotion or salary raise.

"Best company culture I have heard of"

Current Employee - Commercial

I have been working at Skyscanner full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Collaborative culture: Everyone is evaluated based on both team and individual performance. So rather than compete with each other, people at Skyscanner collaborate. - Transparency: People have access to almost all information. In fact, we are encouraged to think big picture and make business decisions holistically. - Little office politics - Compassionate leadership, particularly during tough time like 2020 H1

Cons

Because it is not a cutthroat culture, I feel like things are not moving fast enough sometimes.

Found 260 reviews