Cover image for Opcity

72% Recommend to a Friend
89% Approve of CEO

Found 80 of over 81 reviews

3.9
Opcity Founder & CEO Ben Rubenstein (no image)
Ben Rubenstein
Pros
  • "There are wonderful benefits already like free snacks, drinks and massages once a week(in 7 reviews)

• "I have been working at Opcity for about 6 months and I love it(in 3 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No stability - Ive almost been homeless now 3 times because of there pay structure(in 4 reviews)

• "Challenge is to maintain the high-quality culture at Opcity(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

If You're a True Professional There are Way, Way Better Opportunities than This Place.

2 Mar 2020 - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of Your Co-Workers Can be Friendly.

Cons

Terrible Environment and Pay Structure.

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0

Entry level is OK

11 Dec 2019 - Account Manager in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches, free drinks and $20 a month in free snacks.

Cons

The managers believe that "customers lie."

3. Join the Opcity team
      See Our Latest Jobs
    4. 4.0

Pretty cool CEO, NewsCorp bought them

10 Sep 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is lucrative for a phone job, people there are cool, lots of office freedom but everyone just is there to earn anyways, good managers generally, I honestly had a near perfect experience and learned a lot. The CEO is honestly super smart.

Cons

175 Dials a day, Competition effects your paycheck.

5. 4.0

Customer service

30 Jul 2019 - Client Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great environment in the office

Cons

Terrible management and flexibility

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee

Decent call center job ... but ...

26 Jul 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company provided free catered lunch daily which was nice. Job itself - customer Service Representative- was an easy job and commissions weren’t too bad.

Cons

A lot of favoritism within the culture leaving workers who weren’t part of the cliques feeling left out. Also, fines for quality control mistakes taken out of your paycheck.

2 people found this review helpful

Director of Consumer Experience

Hello! Thank you for working at Opcity and taking the time to leave feedback on your experience. The catered lunch is fantastic and personally saves me a lot of time and money by not having to bring lunch to work every day, so I'm glad you enjoyed it too! The consumer experience role is one of the most important positions we have here. Connecting consumers with the right real estate professionals for them can be rewarding, and we try and make it as easy a possible through scripting and incentives to do well. We work in a highly regulated industry, and could be heavily fined as a company for a misstep on the phone, so we take quality control very seriously. However - there seems to be some confusion and I want to be clear; we do not 'fine for quality control mistakes'. We do however, provide employees with the chance to earn additional incentives and compensation for having 'high quality' interactions with our consumers. I'm very sorry to hear you felt left out of the culture. We value inclusivity at Opcity and the many events and contests are meant to involve everyone, not just a select few. We will do better to be mindful of this in the future and have taken your feedback into consideration. We appreciate the time you spent with us. Best of luck in your future endeavors! - John Jenkins, Director of Consumer Experience

7. 5.0

Great company

9 Jul 2019 - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

What you put in is what you’ll get

Cons

Maybe it’s not for everyone

Head of Consumer Experience

Thank you for the positive words about your experience at Opcity. We're glad you enjoyed your time here and that you would recommend Opcity to potential applicants. Best of luck in the future!

8. 3.0

Call Center Environment

17 Jul 2019 - Anonymous in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

People are nice whether it is genuine or not. Decent Perks.

Cons

Opportunities depending on what team you are on. High School like culture. Drama & Stealing. Call center environment low base pay which brings a certain status of person.

1 person found this review helpful

Head of Consumer Experience

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Opcity. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our best in class perks, that Opcity offers. The people at Opcity are a huge part of what makes this place special. We welcome people from all walks of life and are an equal opportunity employer. Employees at Opcity live our values, work hard, and are very nice to be around. We are very proud of the people that we employ here. I am concerned with your comment regarding drama and stealing. Those are very serious transgressions and I would like to know more about your experience. Please contact me directly at john.jenkins@opcity.com if you are willing to provide more details. Thanks again for your feedback. - John, Director of Consumer Experience

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

WARNING - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

8 Aug 2019 - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free lunches, snacks, you can trade your soul here for money

Cons

Low wages, heavy call volumes (170+ calls/day), poor corporate culture. Know what you are getting yourself into. Opcity seemed like a really great fit for me. I was attracted here by the potential to earn good commission. I found that management treated us like children and not adult professionals. Over-the-top quality, so you are constantly working under a microscope. I saw them fire good people for trivial reasons -- THEY TREAT WORKERS LIKE THEY ARE EXPENDABLE AND YOU ARE BECAUSE THEY'RE ONLY PAYING YOU 8 BUCKS AN HOUR!

2 people found this review helpful

Head of Consumer Experience

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working at Opcity. We take employee feedback very seriously and are deeply sorry you did not enjoy your time with us. We definitely want people to understand what the Consumer Experience role entails before they take the job, and you have provided valuable insight. This is an entirely phone-based role, and heavy call volumes are part of the job. We do our best to make this experience enjoyable by improving efficiencies in processes and technology whenever possible, and by making the day fun with contests, special events, catered lunch, and more. This role is a mix of base pay and commission, and there is high earning potential for top performers. We actually think there's no such thing as over-the-top quality control. One of our company values is “Commit to Excellence” and we expect all of our employees to take this to heart. Real estate is a heavily regulated industry, and we could be heavily fined as a company for a misstep on the phone, so we take quality control very seriously. It's so important to us that we provide employees with the chance to earn additional incentives and compensation for having high-quality interactions with our consumers. We work hard to maintain a positive corporate culture that’s based around our core values. We’ve been recognized on several occasions for our culture based on anonymous employee feedback surveys, such as ABJ’s Best Places to Work and the Austin American-Statesman’s Top Workplaces. I’m sorry you disagree with this, and I wish we could have worked through these challenges while you were still employed at Opcity. Our employees are our most valuable asset. We provide a service to our partners, and we couldn’t do that without the fantastic people who work here. We wish you the best of luck in the future! - Jamie Sampson, Head of Consumer Experience

10. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Don’t be deceived by the hard sell on culture. This place is mediocre at best.

1 Jul 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good location, on-site gym, steady pay check, good coffee, nice deck party. I’m glad they added senior managers

Cons

The environment demands a lot of your personal time. Catered lunches are designed to keep you in house and working nonstop. Pay is not in line with responsibilities and duties. Benefits are expensive.

5 people found this review helpful

Head of Consumer Experience

Thank you for providing this feedback. We put a lot of thought into our South Austin office and are glad you're enjoying the benefits, including the gym, coffee, and outdoor deck. It looks like you still work at Opcity, so we would like to provide some clarity on your list of cons. Please reach out to me at hrresponse@opcity.com if you would like to discuss this in more detail. All of our teams' schedules are structured differently, however we value our employees' personal time and encourage people to leave their work at the office and not take it home with them. If you feel like you're struggling with work life balance I would be happy to help. The catered lunch and dinners provided are meant to be an added benefit, not a drawback. Employees are welcome to bring their own lunch or go offsite if they choose. If you do stay onsite, we hope you take a break and enjoy one of the many areas Opcity has to relax and unwind. Working through lunch is not encouraged. Our compensation and benefits are aligned with the industry standards, but if you do not believe your income aligns with your responsibilities I would encourage you to speak with your manager directly. Ericka Tate, Director of HR

11. 1.0

Horrible Opportunity

7 Jul 2019 - Client Success Representative in Austin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent free catered lunches. Hypothetical opportunity to make decent money. HR actually cares and recognizes that the employees are people.

Cons

Management expects corporate slaves. Policies change constantly without announcement and when you do finally find out it's because you're being punished for breaking a rule you didn't know about. Management does not tell you about policies and procedures and you break them then you're out even if it's the managers fault for not telling you. Everyone that is not HR only sees the employees as workers and not people. Upper management constantly finds ways to take money from you, even when they implement policies that are 'designed' to give you more.

Head of Consumer Experience

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at Opcity. I'm glad you enjoyed the catered lunch and working with our HR team. They really are top notch. I’m sorry if policy changes were not always communicated to you properly in the past. To make sure this does not happen moving forward, we have implemented multiple processes to assure all policy changes are thoroughly coached before going into effect. We will be implementing a new Learning Management System that will house any policy and procedure changes and allow Consumer Experience Representatives to acknowledge they have read and understand the changes before starting their day. Our employees are our most valuable assets, and we encourage a healthy and fun work environment through contests, company events, and generous PTO to name a few. We certainly don’t want anyone to feel like a corporate slave, and we’re sorry if that was the impression you got. We were just named as one of the “Best Places to Work” by the Austin Business Journal based on an anonymous employee survey conducted by a third-party, so we hope our employees truly feel valued here. We wish we could have addressed your concerns while you were still employed with us. If you would like to speak about this further, please contact me at jamie.sampson@opcity.com. Best of luck!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 80 Reviews
    </>Embed

Opcity Reviews FAQs

Opcity has an overall rating of 3.9 out of 5, based on over 81 reviews left anonymously by employees. 72% of employees would recommend working at Opcity to a friend and 74% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Opcity employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.7 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Opcity. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

72% of Opcity employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Opcity 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.