MediaMath Reviews

Updated 10 Sep 2020

3.5
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki
Pros
  • "They trust in their employees, and the work/life balance is really good(in 64 reviews)

• "There are so many nice and smart people and teams you'll get to work with and meet(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "All good problems - the company is growing so quickly that the dynamic environment can be hard to manage(in 14 reviews)

• "This is a bigger issue than just growing pains(in 11 reviews)

1. "Nice People"

Current Employee - Account Supervisor

I have been working at MediaMath part-time

Pros

Great place to work! Friendly coworkers.

Cons

None that i can think of.

"Once a great company, now not so much"

2.0
    Former Employee - Engineering

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good benefits - Good people / culture - Good work life balance

Cons

- No personal growth unless you know someone. Experience does not matter - Uncompetitive salary - no yearly pay rise (maybe limited to certain offices and/or people) - People jumping from one depart to another with no experience into senior positions. It is quite demoralising to see - It feels like there are more VP's and directors than individual contributors - VERY US centric - Constant production issues - the engineering teams try their best to keep a broken product running. Releases often lead to production issues - Leadership are interested in pushing out new products/features when the time should be spent on fixing/optimising the current state of the product The company has not been the same since the well publicised 2016 layoffs. There have been regular cuts to budgets/benefits since then. I personally do not trust the vast majority of these positive reviews.

3. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, people, industry, location, presence

Cons

Lewdership, volatility, rapid changes, culture

"Great place to grow your career"

4.0
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really big, interesting CS problems to work on. No futzing about with weak tea python/nodejs services you would have at your average CRUD SASS company. You have to use serious tools because the scale is bigtime. Many services have to handle billions of requests/datapoints hourly. Working on these kinds of problems is how you grow as an engineer. The company has comparable scale to FAANG but cant/doesnt pay as well, but they compensate for it by being really chill. No expectation of long hours, no packing stressful amounts of work into sprints. Want to actually use your unlimited PTO? No problem. You have kids and errands? No problem. Very flexible WFH policies. Right now we have summer Friday where every Friday is a half day. Netflix would pay more, but having your life back is priceless.

Cons

10 years of techdebt overhang that slows development down significantly and causes reliability issues/firedrills. Management is serious about addressing it, so there is a silver lining, and you may get to rebuild some stuff from scratch, which is nice. That said, I don't think a day goes by without some production incident.

Continue reading

"Toxic Environment Avoid At All Costs"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Plenty of snacks and drinks

Cons

Where do I begin? Company would rather make employees redundant than cut the snacks budget, employees have little respect and have managed to create one of the most toxic environments I have ever had to work in, only way of promotion is if you are popular and shout the loudest, low salary but they dress it up with added perks like snacks and drinks (last time I checked that doesn't pay my rent), managers have no experience with actually managing people and completely out of touch with the real world ... list goes on

6. "Good"

4.0
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Great office and work environment.

Cons

Too many different products that caused confusion between teams operationally.

7. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

- chill environment - average work place

Cons

It really is an average place

"Learned a lot but very little work/life balance"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

This is a fast-paced and constantly evolving industry, which provided great learning opportunities. MediaMath has a lot of smart people, and I enjoyed collaborating with individuals across different business units.

Cons

There was very little work/life balance. There were not enough resources for the volume of work.

MediaMath Response

Manager, HR Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you experienced learning opportunities and enjoyed collaborating with Mathletes across the business. Though we are continuously evaluating our business and resourcing needs as we work to transform our company, there are times in which we all experience heavier workloads. At the same time, we aim to provide employees with flexibility and a healthy work/life balance, so we’re disappointed to hear that you did not experience that quality of life at MediaMath. We would appreciate hearing more from you so that we can be sure to improve in the future. Please reach out with any further comments directly to people@mediamath.com.

"MediaMath is changing"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

New leadership, transparency, flexibility, accountability for results. These are all things that were lacking when I started 2 years ago and it is very exciting to be part of this transformation.

Cons

Make sure we do not over commit to doing too many things and revert back to old ways.

10. COVID-19

"Love the MediaMath culture!"

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Transparent, supportive, and extremely helpful during a challenging time during the global pandemic. The company has been extremely thoughtful about keeping our organization informed on what we are doing to remain on track and has also made an effort to provide flexibility for people as personal/professional lives are blended during COVID-19.

Cons

There are none at this time!

Found 334 reviews