MediaMath Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated 18 Nov 2019

3.5
MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki
Pros
  • "Work/life balance is also a major draw card; the work environment is very flexible(in 59 reviews)

• "There are so many nice and smart people and teams you'll get to work with and meet(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "All good problems - the company is growing so quickly that the dynamic environment can be hard to manage(in 14 reviews)

• "Growing pains, recent re-organization led to more politics in inter-group relations;(in 10 reviews)

"Great Program!"

Current Employee - Marketing Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Marketing Engineer Program is a fantastic program to jump start your career in Adtech. There are so many nice and smart people and teams you'll get to work with and meet! And ample opportunities to learn and grow your programmatic knowledge and technical skill sets.

Cons

If I had to mention one, I think maybe providing more job search support to make this piece of the program less stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! :)

MediaMath2019-11-15

"Once Great, Now Volatile"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture is strong at MediaMath and teams and the people who comprise those teams are dedicated and loyal. Perks are amazing - unlimited PTO (in the States), free snacks, beautiful offices...on the surface a dream place to work.

Cons

Upper management has lost touch with what made this company great in the first place. Ego and ambition lead the company to make many poor decisions which have lead to low revenue generation, difficulty hiring and maintaining top notch talent, and organizational changes that break high functioning teams apart. Turnover is high, loyalty is low, and the company is moving to a more corporate environment and ideology.... This type of growth is fine and expected for a company that is 10+ years old but the humanity and respect for the people who have literally and figuratively built the company has waned in the last few years. It's about making money and less about creating a steady work environment for people who are dedicated to the product and the vision. The top-down decisions have seemingly been made without consideration for those who do the actual day to day work which was a core part of what made working at MediaMath so great in its early days.

Advice to Management

Admit your mistakes and stop promoting a workplace built on values that are clearly not honest. The company is not about the people anymore or about developing talent and being leaders in the industry. It's about staying afloat and competing with other companies in the ecosphere. There was something special about MediaMath several years ago. Now we're just another start-up that's gone corporate and lost sight of the... original vision. Stop pretending we're something we're not.

MediaMath2019-11-19

"Look at other options"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

Good office locations but that’s about it

Cons

The Managment and HR are completely misaligned with what’s happening in the company, furthermore they are highly unprofessional. Every few years there is a restructure and really anyone or everyone who has an option outside has left, surprising the HR and Managment fails to acknowledge this! HR is probably the most incompetent I have seen ( you can find this consistently across other glassdoor reviews).... Inexperienced and incapable people are promoted and hired instead of growing internal talent.

Advice to Management

Clean up your HR and managers in UK ! There is no work life balance ( outside US). The company is struggling and given mediamath underpays vs it’s competitors the least you can do is appreciate your employees so they stay.

MediaMath2019-11-05

"Great company! Great hiring processes and good exposure"

Current Employee - Programmatic

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

The hiring process was one of the best that I have encountered. HR was very responsive to all the questions that I had. The company really emphasizes on learning and growth and it feels like you are working in the company of some of the brightest minds in the ad tech industry. My interview process was pretty rigorous and that shows how invested the company is in hiring future employees. I had applied online and... received an interview call from HR. Once the phone conversation was over I was sent a data set to analyze and present my thoughts on. The next round was a 3-hour interview process that included a ppt presentation to a panel followed by 4 one-on-ones. Enjoyed talking to everyone as it helped me understand more about Mediamath and its company culture. Love the company and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in the ad tech industry.

Cons

None that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Great stuff! We feel happy to be lead by such visionaries!

MediaMath2019-09-25

"Learned a lot"

Former Employee - Engagement Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great learning experience, smart employees

Cons

Weak upper management, long hours, slow promotion process

MediaMath2019-10-02

"Downward trend in employee growth and retention"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership is not decentralised and so are the growth opportunities in regions outside the US.

Cons

Heavy Top Management and very US-oriented

MediaMath2019-09-23

"HR and Sales leads a mess"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility and learning opportunities

Cons

HR is not well prepared, there are kids leading the processes and conversations very unprofessional. Not a real global company, they only care about NY office.

Advice to Management

Put key well prepared people in main roles. If you say you are a global company, BE a global company. HR changes ASAP.

MediaMath2019-08-21

"Great place to work!"

I worked at MediaMath full-time

Pros

- Extremely intelligent group of people who are always happy to help each other - Great culture with regular team outings and and impromptu events - There are many departments in the company so there is always something new to learn - Flexible working arrangements - Highly respected company - Strong relationship with all clients and industry peers

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

MediaMath2019-05-13

"Think about your other options"

Former Employee - Management in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MediaMath is a 10+ year old startup that still requires investment capital. Why? If you look at ad tech's growth and MediaMath's competitors set, they should be profitable and in a growth trajectory. What will you learn joining this company? You might get the opportunity to fix internal processes, save an account, fill in tech gaps with human power, try different roles, and meet smart people. If you like working... for an underdog company, this could be a good fit. You will always be up against Google or other companies that have stronger engineering talent. If you like having constant change, this might also be a good fit. There are reorgs almost every year or reorgs still carrying on from the last reorg. Adtech is always changing and companies like MediaMath need to adapt to both trends and changing political climates.

Cons

If you are coming from a more established technology company and you are not looking for an aging startup environment, this will likely disappoint you. You are used to larger organizations with smart people who make logical decisions. There are checks and balances that keep large orgs with good products and market viability in a positive trajectory. This is not that. Instead of making decisions on behalf of future... success, many people in power like to go on power trips and set up the company to fail. Read other reviews here. Do your research in the ad tech space. Look at the companies that grow year over year. Dollars are flowing to the companies that have viable solutions for advertisers. Also look into what type of investments ad tech companies take. Some go public (IPO), some get venture capital, some take private equity. Those investments are not all equal. This information is available with a quick Google search. Do you want to work long hours, make meaningful changes in your small sector of responsibility, and be a positive change agent but never receive any praise or reward? You might enjoy it here. MediaMath is medium sized business. That gives senior leadership an unhealthy amount of power. They are a group of like minded individuals that like each other and their own ideas. They do not like outsiders. They do not like to hear constructive criticism. They are quick to adopt a trend or mindset without deep thinking. The middle manager sector of the company is large and unwieldy. Do talk to current or ex employees. Do the same for other ad tech companies. Ad tech firms are struggling as most marketing dollars go to the top three companies. Be aware of double-speak in your interviews. Are they just talking to talk? Are they saying anything of value in succinct sentences?

MediaMath2019-04-19

"Used to be a great place to work; now just sad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great snacks Some smart people Still some, albeit far fewer, nice people Flexibility

Cons

Disorganized Siloed Egos rule The most aggressive/calculating person is rewarded Lacking direction Slow innovation

Advice to Management

Humble yourselves. Talk to the people who actually do the work and fire most of your VPs. SLT is a joke. Change needs to start at the top.

MediaMath2019-05-03