Kiva Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Updated Oct 19, 2019

3.7
Kiva CEO Neville Crawley
Neville Crawley
Pros
  • "Friendly, transparant and flat work environment with a professional atmosphere(in 13 reviews)

• "Great opportunity to really make an impact while learning about the microfinance industry(in 11 reviews)

1. "Intern"

I worked at Kiva

Pros

Great people, mission, overall structure. You feel like you’re making a true difference.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Kiva2019-10-19

"New management destroyed the company"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kiva full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-- Kiva used to be an amazing place to work -- incredible team, warm culture, passionate about the "old" mission: "Connecting people through lending to alleviate poverty". -- Strong brand.

Cons

-- The founder stepped away as CEO a few years ago. After a long transition period, another CEO was appointed by the board, but lasted less than 2 years. Then there was another long transition period, and then another new CEO was appointed. The new CEO has no non-profit experience. And the board did not really consult existing employees before making the appointment (again). So there has been a lot of CEO transition..., with the accompanying disruption and lack of clarity. -- More importantly, the new CEO has destroyed the culture of Kiva, and misunderstood what was special about Kiva's business. He changed Kiva's mission to remove the part about "connecting people", which was Kiva's unique selling point. And he objected to one of Kiva's values being "Respect". Literally half the staff has turned over since the new CEO arrived. -- After all the radical shake-ups, strategy changes and mission update, growth dropped in 2018 vs. 2017. I guess this is what happens when all the staff leave.

Advice to Management

-- Recapture what was magic about Kiva in the past -- the incredibly warm culture, and focus on connecting borrowers and lenders... -- ...While also up-levelling the team and improving the website / business execution. You can do both.

Kiva2019-07-23
  3. "Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kiva full-time for less than a year

Pros

exactly what you need from an internship

Cons

you will not earn any money

Advice to Management

pay your workers please

Kiva2019-04-12

"If it wasn't for the mission..."

I have been working at Kiva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Staff and interns, especially long timers, are passionate, supportive and kind. Impactful organization that has done well and has new, exciting initiatives. Very strong internship and fellowship program.

Cons

Leadership - they don't seem to truly hear the voices of the staff. There's a lack of value and appreciation - not appreciating who has been there and done the work before they swept in. Hiring from the business world can be great - we need diversity and strong skills - but operating like a corporation in a cold way is not what we came for. There's a total lack of trust in the leadership. They get rid of people,... who they say aren't needed, then hire for the roles again. This has happened multiple times in different departments.

Kiva2019-03-13

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kiva part-time

Pros

Amazing place to work at!

Cons

Small company, little room for growth.

Kiva2019-02-14

"Cocky leadership team"

I have been working at Kiva full-time for more than a year

Pros

Kiva is an amazing organization with a great mission and vision; not to mention its impact. High calibre of talented colleagues all over the world Great location and office

Cons

The 'new' CEO and the leadership team are incredibly cocky. They are in a tearing hurry to get rid of everything that is 'old' instead of honoring it and building on it. This has led to deep discontent within the organization, that has led many to question what is valued around here (despite our new values).

Advice to Management

A little humility would go a long way.. you can and must make changes for Kiva to have an even bigger impact. Evolve the new, more impactful Kiva in a way that is humble, mindful and respectful - these don't have to mutually exclusive. You don't have to trash the 'old' Kiva at every opportunity you get. Doing so will help you win real employee engagement and commitment, and help us have an even greater impact all... around the world, which I know is what we are all working towards.

Kiva2019-03-14

"Awesome organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kiva full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people who are talented, humble and hard-working; opportunities to contribute and grow in a lot of different ways; exciting new projects for the org; and a good benefits package.

Cons

As a non-profit, the pay is obviously less than most for-profit tech salaries in the area. There was also a fair amount of turnover in 2018, but I feel more confident in Kiva's future growth than ever.

Kiva2019-01-17

"Was great way back when"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pawtucket, RI
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Kiva full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Based on my experiences ten years ago, it was an incredible organization to work for with really cool people.

Cons

Once they started running into long-term funding problems, it became an inhospitable place to work. Bummer

Kiva2018-12-07
  9. "Intern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kiva full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing people and learning experiences. If you have never had a real job this will teach you everything you need to know for when you enter the workforce.

Cons

Unpaid....a lot of work and responsibility yet still unpaid. I understand that its a nonprofit but they are very dependent on their interns which isnt sustainable.

Kiva2018-11-27

"Awesome people"

I worked at Kiva full-time

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Communication as the organization grows and changes

Kiva2018-11-06