Expeditors Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.1
Expeditors President and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey S. Musser
Jeffrey S. Musser
Pros
Cons
  • "Some coworkers complain about the dress code, but it does not appear to bother me that much(in 81 reviews)

• "low pay (well below tech industry)(in 58 reviews)

1. "Specialist"

Former Employee - Specialist in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Expeditors full-time

Pros

Great people, strong training programm

Cons

Have not discovered so far

Expeditors2017-02-09

"Don’t live up to their commitments"

Former Employee - Air Export Agent in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Expeditors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people who are very helpful

Cons

There is very little opportunity to develop your career because they recruit for promotion roles. They bring in people who are less able to do the job than the current staff. To develop your career in Expeditors you need to be friendly with 2 particular individuals who are not very effective themselves. The business is simply not growing at the same rate as our biggest competitor and there is no strategy to do so.

Advice to Management

Trust your current people and stop loosing good people to the competition

Expeditors2019-09-23

"Micromanagement work place"

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Dublin, Dublin
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Expeditors full-time for more than a year

Pros

I could not find any pros during my time

Cons

Short paid, Micromanagement, Strict dress code

Advice to Management

If you really want your employees happy stop micromanagement them. Stop paying below the average just because "the experience" you can get working for you.

Expeditors2019-08-06

"Should listen to their employees better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Expeditors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company supplies logistics services to household name companies, which has given me a chance to work with one of the best companies worldwide. Expeditors focuses a lot on training their staff (52 hours minimum required per annum).

Cons

While they hire for attitude, they appear to promote for the wrong reasons. I've seen several great employees bypassed for promotions (roles they were already doing at the time and/or had been tapped to receive), while people unsuited to management positions (with numerous HR complaints against them) gained more influence. The teams I work with feel demotivated following years of this.

Advice to Management

I urge the management to be more open to feedback from their staff. There is frequently an atmosphere of dismissiveness from managers, and unaddressed issues have escalated to HR as a result.

Expeditors2018-07-22

"Good values, executed inconsistently"

Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Expeditors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Benefits, ok wage,secure, lots of opportunities, good ideals and values. The majority of people I have met are nice and genuine.

Cons

Bad work life balance, inconsistently executed ideals and values towards employees, lots of dated systems and processes cause unnecessary work. A lot of (depends who you know) attitudes . To be blunt the way employees are allowed to be treated by certain staff is sometimes disgusting. It's seems very little training is given to managers, supervisors and leads on how to communicate with their employees. E.g very little recognition or praise heard in the office, you only hear when something is done wrong, creating a negative environment.

Advice to Management

Improve training in communication for employees, especially managers and supervisors. This would help with HR, customer service and staff satisfaction. Saying you care about your staff is one thing, proving it is another. Your employees are your most valuable assets but that doesn't mean they are just numbers.

Expeditors2018-06-28

"Not great, very little opportunity to develop"

Former Employee - Air Import in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Expeditors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's easy work and the people are nice but there's little or no development as the management is very stagnant

Cons

No opportunity to move upwards or achieve promotion. They hire in rather than promote from within. The people brought into manager role are not better than people already in the business

Advice to Management

Trust your own people. Hiring in people who are no better than our current staff is simply wrong

Expeditors2017-05-31
  7. "Logistics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Expeditors full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is massive - in theory we have the possibility of moving abroad. Expeditors try to make you feel proud of working for them.

Cons

The salary is not great. The dress code is far too rigid. Very formal.

Expeditors2016-07-20
  8. "Good comfortable company, safe."

I worked at Expeditors

Pros

Safe job for a safe life, pays well, not that tiring. Huge, can move from location to another.

Cons

Boring if you re not interested in Logistics, not a lot of different things happening.

Expeditors2016-05-20
  9. "Excellent place to work"

Current Employee - Regional Risk Manager in Romulus, MI

I have been working at Expeditors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Our people really care about each other and it shows in the way we take care of our customers. Great opportunity for advancement. Great medical benefits.

Cons

24/7 operations so sometimes you have to start on an off shift but most people work their way to days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Expeditors2020-01-24
  10. "Not your average EDI gig"

Current Employee - EDI Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Expeditors has had an ethos of hiring for attitude, training for skill that the EDI department has stuck to more or less so it's a great place to start a career even if you don't come from a technical background. Logistics can be a fascinating business and working in the EDI department gives you opportunities to develop working knowledge of most of the services Expeditors offers - customs brokerage, order management, warehouse management, freight forwarding and more. If you're smart, driven, and not afraid of asking questions, there's literally no limit to how much you can learn about whatever product you're working with. Expeditors employs some of the logistics industry's best experts who are ususally happy to share what they know because EDI is integral to everything they do. If you're curious and put in the work, the EDI department will be like getting a graduate degree in international logistics. You also work directly with customers and Expeditors branches all around the world. This can lead to adjusting a schedule occasionally to accomodate an awkward time difference but it also has allowed me to develop some great friendships. If you visit a city where we have an office while on vacation, it's almost expected that you drop in and say hi. The work/life balance can be pretty great and 4/10 or 9/80 schedules are available. It's very rare that analysts ever put in over 45 hours in a week. Most of the management team truly cares about it's employees and is phenomenally supportive when an employee is having a personal crisis. Compensation lags behind the Big Tech in Seattle but they've made efforts to stay competitive. If you're working hard and performing well your supervisor will work to get you as much of a raise as they can at every salary review.

Cons

One of the hard truths you'll have to learn while working in the IS department is that Expeditors is a logistics company, not a tech company. The corporate culture can feel pretty rigid at times. The dress code is strict and while Expeditors doesn't expect you to work more than 40 hours, they REALLY want you to be at your desk at the same time every day. This can be frustrating in EDI since we're salaried knowledge workers and at times treated as if we're 16 and clocking in at a summer job. It's also been frustrating watching the business side of Expeditors devalue the work IS does. For a company that has invested so heavily in building it's own proprietary software it feels strange that the IS department is viewed more as a cost and not an asset. There's also a belief that Expeditors is safe from Big Tech disruption because logistics as an industry leans heavily on a world-wide network of workers with knowledge accumulated over decades. But many of the executives with that belief have already made their money over the last 30-40 years and don't seem to care that lot of Expeditors' younger talent is getting poached as soon as it realizes there isn't much room for career growth once you hit mid-career.... Speaking of career growth - EDI Systems Analysts are tiered as Associate, II, III and Senior. Going from Associate to II is expected. There aren't many IIIs or Seniors in the department however and management is content letting you hang out as a II. If you're ambitious, your supervisor will push you to either become a III or go the middle management route. If you don't want to get deeper into the analysis weeds or don't have a taste for Expeditors' brand of middle management (its not for me), it's not easy to find a way out of EDI. There's a pretty high turnover among analysts once they come to that point in their career at Expeditors. People only stay if they value stability or really love logistics (to be fair there's an argument to be made that highly complex EDI analysis can be one of the coolest jobs in the company).

Advice to Management

There seems to be some stale thinking across ALL of Expeditors. Take more risks! Trust your army of smart, dedicated employees who love the culture and want to innovate and grow organically here. They'll only look elsewhere if real, non-trivial opportunities for career growth don't become available in the future.

Expeditors2020-01-24