Compassion International Reviews

Found 247 of over 323 reviews

4.1
Compassion International President and CEO Jimmy Mellado
Jimmy Mellado
Pros
  • "Releasing children from poverty globally is a powerful thing to support(in 22 reviews)

• "Great mission, very engaged staff(in 16 reviews)

• Cons
  • "At times, this leads to unsustainable commitment on the part ministry(in 18 reviews)

• "Spiritually if you say you are a Christian, you are in(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing!

Nov 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

everything. They value their employees, the team connection, the support, opportunity for growth, etc.

Cons

honestly not many cons I can think of. They are wonderful.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Place to Work

Nov 22, 2021 - Project Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Incredible benefits -Competitive pay -Great mission -Christian culture

Cons

-Lots of growing pains. Lots of strategic changes happening from leadership resulting in reorganization. With that being said, I believe Compassion's best days are ahead of us. This reorg is needed to get us there.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Upholds the Christian Values

Nov 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Manila, Manila
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Considerate to the employees' needs 2. Provides good benefits and offers additional incentives (i.e., free counseling, flexible schedule during pandemic, etc.) 3. Not result oriented at the expense of employees physical/mental health

Cons

Some teams can be preoccupied with their work and become quite exclusive

Compassion International Response

Thank you for your feedback!

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Workplace culture

Nov 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Career growth and work life balance are highly encouraged

Cons

Cut throat and unhealthy competition among staff and leaders Leaders are threatened by great, skilled and professional employees who report to them. The leader will create an environment of fear and raise performance issues with the intent of frustrating and silencing the staff. Eventually staff do not feel passionate about doing their very best and contributing innovative ideas for the fear of being victimized. There is alot of with-hunt and back stabbing even in the national offices. If leaders or fellow staff .don't like you, they will try to destroy your reputation and career. The culture has sadly been fueled by HR and NLTs not taking any action or participating in it.

1 person found this review helpful

Compassion International Response

Thank you for your review. Compassion strives to be a healthy workplace for everyone. We’re sorry if your experience hasn’t been a positive one. The atmosphere you describe below is not one we strive for, obviously. If you know of any specific experiences that we can address, may we suggest you use our Ethics Point channel? You can file the report anonymously, just as you’ve done with this review, while giving specific examples that we can examine. As you pointed out, our five cultural behaviors are for every member of our team. We should be 100% for one another, careful with our words, laser-focused on our mission, invite others in and be serious about personal growth. While we may never reach perfection in any of these behaviors, these are the things for which we strive. One recent example is the way we are addressing the freedom to fail—giving license to try new things, so that we can learn from failures without repercussion, and build on successes. We are constantly working to improve. But the road to improvement is paved by addressing situations as they arise. If you can help us with specifics, we can address those issues and make our workplace safer and healthier for everyone.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Project Accountant

Sep 28, 2021 - Project Accountant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Releasing children from poverty in Jesus name

Cons

low salary working at the projects

Compassion International Response

Thank you for your thoughts and thank you for your service with Compassion!

6. 5.0
      Former Employee

A good place to work

Sep 9, 2021 - Specialist in Bandung, West Java
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employees get professional training and developmental programs.

Cons

Ever changing policies and strategies, but they are inevitable, so it's understandable.

Compassion International Response

Thank you for sharing and we greatly appreciate your service with Compassion!

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Translating S2B letters

Sep 20, 2021 - Interpreter/Translator
      Business Outlook

Pros

A great and positive work environment with room for growth

Cons

Bureaucracy as the position gets higher

Compassion International Response

Thank you for sharing! We appreciate your thoughts.

8. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good pay and benefits, otherwise not a great place to work.

Sep 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

US-based employees are paid way above market rate and you are rarely expected to work over 40 hours a week. Plenty of paid leave to make use of. The organization wants to change--there has been a big push form senior leadership to improve program quality. Unfortunately, there is also enormous resistance to change.

Cons

Compassion is decades behind the industry in terms of evidence-based decision making, and even farther behind in terms of equity and inclusion. This is evidenced best by the management that sits 1-2 levels below the C-seat positions: almost all of these individuals (especially those who have the most influence) are white, outside of the regional leaders. Further hampering the organization is that many people have been around for a very long time and are resistant to change. Many people are not qualified to do their jobs. There is a lot of politics and backstabbing, so unless you have been around for a long time and have ingratiated yourself with powerful people, you have to be constantly watching your back. Otherwise, you will get marginalized and pretty soon people will be trying to get you fired. Because of this environment, most people seem afraid to take risks and decisions are usually made based on who is friends with whom, not what is best for the organization.

7 people found this review helpful

Compassion International Response

Thank you so much for your review and for speaking candidly about your experience so far at Compassion. We are relentless in our efforts to learn, grow and improve. That’s an across-the-board philosophy for every part of our ministry, including our hiring processes. Compassion has talent acquisition representatives across the globe, who help us find the most diverse talent pool possible for every position. Our hiring philosophy has been and will continue to be: hire the best talent possible, offer pay and benefits that are competitive with other non-profits, be good stewards of all we have been entrusted with and honor Scripture that says a “worker deserves his wages.” You also address resistance to change in your review. You are correct that we have been undergoing a great deal of change at Compassion. We have placed a strong emphasis on innovation in effort to meet our future needs as well as the expectations of our supporters. While resistance to change can always be expected to some degree in any organization, we are committed to the changes necessary to move our ministry forward, while making every effort to educate staff about the need for that change. Improvement takes work. And, as you continue your tenure here at Compassion, we believe you’ll see the intentionality and effort we’ve put into always learning, growing, and improving.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company culture

Aug 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Nairobi
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great place to work, the benefits are good and the work-life balance is good

Cons

The emphasis on culture overrides emphasis on results

Compassion International Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Compassion!

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Toxic Environment

Sep 8, 2021 - Digital Marketing Manager in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

There used to be lots of pros but no more.

Cons

Controlling leadership. Sexist and racist staff get promoted. All about money and personal career growth for the men’s club.

2 people found this review helpful

Compassion International Response

We want to thank you for your service to Compassion and we’re very sorry to hear your experience wasn’t everything you had hoped for. However, we have a very different view of our culture. First and foremost, racism and sexism have no place in Compassion’s work environment. Compassion does not tolerate any behavior or speech that discriminates based on a person’s race, age, or gender. We care so deeply about this that, over the past several years, we have made several intentional, strategic moves to elevate and advance diversity, equity and inclusion within our workforce. And while this is still an active area of focus for us, we celebrate the following progress: • In the last year, five of our eight internal promotions to VP level positions were of women. • Over the last five years, we have doubled representation of women on our board of directors: four out of ten outside directors are currently women. • Also in the last five years, three of our top five non-U.S. funding countries are now led by women CEOs. • Three years ago, an independent, outside firm conducted a comprehensive analysis of Compassion’s compensation program. The data shows equity in compensation between genders and ethnicities across Compassion’s global ministry. • In the past 18 months, even when many organizations have experienced workforce reductions and hiring slowdowns, Compassion has increased its representation of women in leadership roles (director and above) in the U.S. by 3%. • 40% of our director level and above positions across our organization are filled by racially diverse employees. • Over the last decade, our Global Executive Team has gone from zero gender or ethnic diversity to a majority (four out of seven) executives who are either from a diverse ethnicity or are women. • Two years ago, Compassion created a new position to champion and drive gender, racial and age diversity as well as equity and inclusion efforts throughout Compassion. Those ongoing efforts are being led by a woman. • And lastly, our leader performance evaluation process holds our senior leaders at Compassion accountable for improving our diversity, equity and inclusion. So, while we do not agree with your assessment of our culture, we will always be committed to continuous improvement and are pleased to have made very good progress through practical action.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 247 Reviews