Combined Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Combined Insurance President Kevin Goulding
Kevin Goulding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Talk to 100 people a day outside or door to door and shove your sales in their throat" (in 33 reviews)

• "Long hours in the beginning until you get the process under your belt, but even that pays off in the long run" (in 33 reviews)

1. "Newbie: I'm in training now in Chicago."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So far so good. I have just completed my 3rd day of training. So I'm writing this review from my hotel. I am very excited about this new opportunity. I have read some of the reviews on here some negative some positive but I am never going to allow my self to be discouraged by someone else's failure. I will say that this training is intense but I know its going to pay off and I look forward to doing another review in 3 months to update you on my success. The breakfast at the hotel is very good and the company pays for everything. They fly you in and pay for your lodging. They give you a prepaid credit card that you can use for food and things that you need. My trainer is very knowledgeable and has a great sense of humor. My room is very clean . They shuttle you to and from training and the cafeteria food is pretty darn good. As far as income potential they really give you a positive out look.

Cons

They throw a lot at you in a short time. You have to stay on your toes and memorize a lot of information but you know the old saying no pain no gain.

2. "Insurance Sales Rep"

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Folks are nice and helpful, especially agents since we are all in the same boat hustling.

Cons

Talk to 100 people a day outside or door to door and shove your sales in their throat.
    Exhausting walking or driving around all day long.

Advice to Management

Pay more and stop thinking that your method always work.

"Good job if you want to be a door knocker"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in State College, PA (US)

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make lasting friendships with other employees over your mutual hatred of this job.

Cons

You only get paid if you sell. You have to knock on doors and be annoying

4. "GREAT OPPORTUNITY!"

Current Employee - Licensed Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Licensed Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with combined for over a year and the secret to success is referral partners... find people who see the value in the products and work with them.

Cons

Creating your own pay check means 100% accountability

Advice to Management

Build relationships with industries like mortgage brokerages to Create opportunities to place agents in environments where the clients are already in the headspace to talk about insurance.

"Sales rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Altoona, PA (US)

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training was top notch. But very overworked and intense.

Cons

Everything else was awful! Worked 13+ hour days. Leads aren't really leads. A lot of canvassing! No sales, no paycheck. And I ruined my car.

6. "Leadership opportunities"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Sudbury, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Sudbury, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I’ve been a self employed independent contractor for Combined Insurance Company for over 27 years and am currently a sales leader. An excellent company to represent and yes you are self employed which means you don’t do at least 6-10 or more sakes talks a day you will not survive! Learn the basic principles and set a short and long term goals for yourself you will succeed . Can you make $100,000 or more in your first year! Absolutely yes if ONLY you dedicate your time to this career

Cons

Long hours, depending where you live you could do a lot of driving, evening work, and as it’s commission sales you will struggle if you don’t know the product material

Advice to Management

Stick with the system WClement Stone taught us! Extend product knowledge time in classroom 1 extra week

"Great company to work for. But the Insurance business isn’t for everybody."

Current Employee - Agent/Benefits Advisor in Cannonsburg, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Agent/Benefits Advisor in Cannonsburg, KY (US)

I have been working at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Good leadership and as an employee you have access to contacts of all levels of management. I’ve noticed people with bad reviews of the company because they haven’t succeeded or had a bad experience with a manager. This company gives you all the tools you need to succeed. From paid Training, to plenty of leads for customers as well as concern and motivation from management. If you as an agent do not succeed, your manager is penalized. So any one that says a manager did not have an interest in their success, is either lazy, doesn’t have to will to do what is needed in commission based sales, is lying about their experience or had a manager that didn’t care about their personal pay or success (which I have yet to encounter with this company) I’m not saying there aren’t managers that don’t care, because there may very well be some. But I haven’t seen or met any myself. Regardless of that. An agent is encouraged to reach out to different levels of management in the company for help, advice, and concerns with their job. Overall a great company and group of people to work with.

Cons

I do rack up the miles on my vehicle and spend a lot of money in fuel. And in some weeks when I have had a bad week it has been rough trying to fork out the money to make sure I’m in the field. And in some cases, policyholders initial payment may not go through or maybe the wrong info is put in and the company is unable to collect the first premium. I’m those cases the agent is charged back the amount of commission that was paid in their next paycheck before they have a chance to correct the issue and collect the payment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. But maybe it would be a good idea to collect chargebacks in installments from paychecks instead of all at once. Or at least allow a week or two for the agent to fix the payment collection issue before they’re charged back

20 Jul 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave this positive review! We especially appreciate hearing from our current employees, and we appreciate that you have shared how supportive management has... More

"Top managers and executives in Pa scammed their way to the top."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Set own hours,can never be laid off as long as you produce a little.

Cons

Captive agent and you get screwed when you quit. Get your training and move on asap.

Advice to Management

Inspect the business of top executives and managers who have been with the company over 20 years. Concentrate on the 1980 and 1990 years and to 2010. At one point Pa. had 250 agents in field. Ask yourself why a state meeting only drew less than 30 managers at most?

"ALL LIES"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE none at all. One week in Chicago that is "All expenses paid!" where they work you so hard that you have to stay up until 2 am studying to keep up. My poor fellow duped employees were the only positive thing about the trip.

Cons

Nothing this company told me when I was hired was true. I would not be trained in my home town, instead while I was in Chicago I was told that as soon as I got home I would be trained somewhere 3 hours from my home... another week in a hotel. Then one week at home and I was pressured into driving three hours away AGAIN for a one day conference that was more like a cult meeting. EVERY morning you have to sign into a sales meeting, no matter what you are doing, do a stupid cult like chant, and the managers are never on time so don't worry it WILL take more than a full hour. I was constantly denied proper materials and asked to BREAK THE LAW. DO NOT make the mistake I did.

Advice to Management

STOP LYING TO PEOPLE

1 Aug 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for leaving this review and letting us know you feel you were “asked to break the law.” This is something we would never condone, and we need more information. Please email us at... More

"Agent"

I worked at Combined Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make some quick money. Good stepping stone for future career in insurance. Nice trip to Chicago.

Cons

What can i say, it is nearly impossible to make this job work. It can...for awhile. It is really all a numbers game, hire as many people as possible and hope a few can make it. They just don't care. It all about money. Managers and current agents get paid to bring people on. I was taught an "interview" with a perspective new agent was nothing than a mere sales pitch. You will get charged back. Their health insurance is high priced and doesn't cover much. The whole thing is like a pyramid scheme.

Advice to Management

Hire quality candidates! I would have loved to stayed, however, there is no base. Nothing to help. You are given crappy leads, you drive all over and may not sell. Place more emphasis on quality and not quantity! No one is proud of a job just anyone can get. Period. No matter how good the product is, people know you will hire anyone to sell it so no one has respect for the company. You have to go on all these market meetings thar are hours away. Even though somethings are paid for, gas money and a days pay would be nice. There are so many small thinga you could do to make this work for an agent with talent, but the system isn't there. But, the good news is that id you stay with them long enough you will be actively recruited by other companies with much more to offer!

1 Aug 2018 – Social Media Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. Our new agents attend a one week training session in Chicago that aims to prepare them for success in the field. Once in the field they have the... More