Buffer Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Buffer CEO Joel Gascoigne
Joel Gascoigne

"Life changing"

Current Employee - Happiness Hero

I have been working at Buffer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Where to start? Working for Buffer has been a dream come true. I've never met a bunch of people more kind, selfless, empathetic as my teammates at Buffer. I feel I have grown so much as a human being since I start working for Buffer. I could go on & on about the great salary and perks, which are wonderful, but the reason I love working for Buffer is because within moments of starting, these amazing people felt... like family. It's crazy to think how close I've become to a group of people, most of whom I've never met in person. Throughout my time at Buffer I've expressed interests in different areas of the company, and have always been encouraged to pursue it. Not once have I shared an idea and felt like it wasn't considered seriously. You're not just an employee when you work for Buffer. Every single person at Buffer has the power, the potential, and the platform to shape the future of the company. I couldn't possibly pick another company I'd rather work for.

Cons

The only con I think of is that, because I enjoy my job so much, I often feeling like jumping into work on evenings and weekends (this is never required, suggested, or even hinted at by any of the team leads). This can lead to a lot of hours on the computer, which I enjoy, but can easily become a problem for home life if you're not careful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The future of Buffer is looking very bright. The values we share will lead us in the right direction.

Buffer2017-01-05

"Great company"

I worked at Buffer full-time

Pros

Smart coworkers, great benefits and high quality product.

Cons

Lack of feedback. There is an odd culture of being too positive. The hard real talks were incredibly taboo

Buffer2019-03-15

"Don't drink the Kool-Aid..."

I have been working at Buffer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working remotely Seemingly nice people (not all are...some are passive aggressive) Pay is good and transparent Global retreats

Cons

People can be fake Upper management can be flaky It is not the "dream" job, other reviews claim it is People can take on too much and not deliver with no consequence CEO can be moody

Advice to Management

The company had financial troubles in the past because management was running the company as if they were still running out of Joel's bedroom. There were layoffs and belt tightening, but the company has not changed much from that experience. This company is not running like a real tech company with policies and procedures. It is like they are "playing office". It needs structure. No we do not want to turn into an... uncaring corporation that does not care about its employees but we need structure. Joel is not a clear and concise leader. You have to be a mind reader to work for him. He does not know what he wants but he will tell you what he does not like. He is all over the place, all of the time. We need to run the company like a company. Structure, so that we do not have to go through the same problem we went through before.

Buffer2018-10-25
  4. "Buffer"

I have been working at Buffer full-time

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

The remote environment isn't for everyone.

Buffer2018-02-08
  5. "xyz"

I have been working at Buffer

Pros

it has a collaborative work environment

Cons

nothing i can thnk of

Buffer2018-02-08
  6. "Growth Hacker"

I worked at Buffer full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture and awesome team, founders were passionate on the business and growing the team

Cons

Lean team back in the days

Advice to Management

Keep up with the great work!

Buffer2017-09-11

"One of the best companies in tech to work for"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Cape Town

I worked at Buffer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Buffer is incredibly forward thinking in how they approach work and build products. The no-ego doer value contributes immensely to a humble culture, where people are receptive to feedback and willing to say when they are wrong. Working on the engineering team, the tech challenges were neverendingly stimulating. Working with product managers/designers/customer teams were always a breeze, because we were all rowing... towards the same goals. Diversity & inclusion was also hugely important to the team.

Cons

Remote working can be challenging for some folk, especially if you're in a tricky timezone.

Buffer2017-09-01

"Buffer is the future of work"

I have been working at Buffer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at Buffer is like having one of those jobs you sometimes read about but think "That could never be me, I would never be that lucky!" You feel it in little things, like getting a free Kindle and all the books you can read (such an awesome perk!). And you feel it in the big things, like a team of the kindest, most empathetic and enthusiastic people I've ever met. They want Buffer to succeed and they want... YOU to succeed, and you feel it every day. It is a really special feeling, one that I've truly never had before at work and never really expected! Add to all that the ability to work anywhere in the world; the ability to travel if, when, and as much as you want; unlimited vacation (with a *minimum* of 3 weeks/year); generous salaries; fun and interesting work; progressive family leave; and annual paid-for trips to somewhere awesome in the world (South Africa, Iceland, Hawaii, New York, Sydney, Madrid!) to meet up with the team. It's really a dream job. :D

Cons

I ended up falling in love with remote work, but it may not be for everyone. :) Buffer is also fairly experimental and radical, with things like our transparent salary formula and self-management experiment, and that might not be the ideal environment for some.

Advice to Management

Keep going; the deep empathy you show for both customers and the team will be rewarded.

Buffer2017-01-25

"A company with heart"

Current Employee - Community Champion in Portland, OR

I have been working at Buffer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Living and learning by company values, transparent culture, fluid movement within the company (in many areas - we're working on making this more company-wide!), remote working and support for family integration into work life, generous family leave policy

Cons

As a "young" company, we're learning and growing constantly and have experienced many different "phases" of our journey: self-management style, hyper-growth to more organic growth, etc. This keeps things interesting but can be tough for some.

Advice to Management

Opportunities for professional growth among all employees (management included)

Buffer2017-01-24

"Inconsistent experiences across teams"

I have been working at Buffer

Pros

Work with a wonderful group of people that are kind to each other. Easy communication across various tools to continuously stay in touch while working remotely. Buffer will reimburse your co-working space if you work best outside of your home. Generous family leave policy, unlimited Kindle books, and transparent culture.

Cons

Direct manager changes frequently and can make it difficult to build trust within the team. Happiness Team is encouraged to work on evenings and weekends and struggles under micromanagement and inconsistent expectations. Salary can unexpectedly change when updates are made to the transparent salary formula.

Advice to Management

Need opportunities for professional growth, consistent leadership, and more transparency on larger team changes.

Buffer2017-01-17