Booz Allen Hamilton Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.7
Booz Allen Hamilton CEO Horacio D. Rozanski
Horacio D. Rozanski
Pros
Cons
  • "Work-life balance is hard to maintain(in 204 reviews)

• "Burns through people by chasing awful work to maintain company revenue after going public(in 100 reviews)

"Great people, terrible business"

Senior Consultant in McLean, VA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton for less than a year

Pros

The people are great. Everyone -- even the difficult types -- are eager to work and excel. There are some senior officers with questionable morality, but most people here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Federal clients. Don't forget that you'll move at their pace, not yours. 2. The nature of the job means that sooner or later you'll be strategizing ways to get more money from the client (i.e. federal government), regardless of whether or not you'll actually add value. BAH runs on government money, a large chunk from DoD, and thus is part of the bigger problem we have in this country with fiscal responsibility.... 3. Living off the American taxpayer. Much of the money that flies around in DC is at the expense of everyone else everywhere else in the US, BAH is a major player in this system, particularly the defense technology sector. 4. You'll never get paid what you're worth. The three lowest ranks (Consultant, Sr. Consultant, Associate) seldom make what they're worth, while senior management (looking at you, officers) make insane amounts of money.

Advice to Management

I'm leaving this job for two reasons, despite being hand-picked and groomed for greater responsibility by senior management. 1. You weren't paying me enough to do the job; especially when you factor in the amount of stress this job puts on a human being, the amount of time I sacrificed with my family, the amount of guilt this job inspired in me as an American. 2. The job is not meaningful to anyone who doesn't... lust for profits. At some point each of us gets a look at how the sausage is made, and then it becomes clear that the government is basically asking (literally sending out solicitations and announcements) to be ripped off. They don't need what we're selling, but they buy it anyways because Congress tells them to. This buys Congress fancy retirement plans at the same businesses that profit. But everyone else loses, and Booz Allen isn't doing enough to be a part of our nation's long-term fiscal stability.

Booz Allen Hamilton2016-09-15
  2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

training support flexibility smart people

Cons

commute paid leave sick leave long hours

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-16
  3. "Good pay, benefits, and opportunities"

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton

Pros

They really try to make sure you are satisfied with your job and benefits. There are a lot of different contracts and positions with the company, so if you want a change you wouldn’t have to leave the job, but transition to another contract. They have lots of training opportunities, too.

Cons

They’re constantly encouraging you to be involved in the company. This is great for climbing the ladder within the company, but if you have no interest in that, it’ll get a little annoying.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-16
  4. "Best Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic company! They really care about their employees, and they take the time to develop you as you advance in your career. I have never been happier with a company that I have worked for than I am with Booz Allen Hamilton.

Cons

In my time with BAH I have not come across any cons.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-14
  5. "Excellent company"

Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission impact for DoD client.

Cons

no real cons--fast paced! Never a dull moment.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-14
  6. "Good place to develop a network"

Current Employee - Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Knowledgeable sharing, professional development, communication

Cons

Job security, restricted temote delivery

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-11
  7. "Flexible work"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time

Pros

Flexible hours , interesting work

Cons

Working weekends occasionally to meet deadlines

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-07
  8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Booz is a great company and the employees are generally kind and helpful to newcomers. It is a good place to get exposure to different types of fields and tools, you are never boxed in at Booz.

Cons

Your experience will depend on your team so try and be flexible to make the best out of it.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-01
  9. "Company Values Potential Over Proven Work"

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on team and project, there can be much flexibility and work life balance

Cons

People are often chosen for promotion based on likability and not intelligence or past performance of proven work. Company has assumption that those promoted will manipulate others to perform the work for them if they don't have the qualifications.

Advice to Management

The southern plantation style of employee management seems to be working for the firm since profits are up. If ethics and morality ever become a priority along with profits, then the plantation style should be re-evaluated.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-13

"Hard to experience the career as marketed."

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing and intellectually generous colleagues; superior training opportunities. Depending on where you are aligned, leadership and career opportunity can be tremendous.

Cons

The "Employee Value Proposition" is a major area of focus, program development, and career models... if only it was put into practice. The disconnect between the beautifully articulated vision of a career at Booz Allen and the actual ability to experience that vision is vast, which makes it all the more demoralizing to hear about and exhausting to try to realize.

Advice to Management

If you delivered on what you preach, this would be a career nirvana. Find out what the experience is REALLY like among front-line staff (below the SA level), across all categories of expertise. You're losing so many gifted, passionate, skilled - and invisible - people.

Booz Allen Hamilton2019-11-09