Best Learning Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

Best Learning Reviews

Updated 5 Nov 2019

3.6
Best Learning CEO Vivian Feng (no image)
Vivian Feng
Pros
  • "I want to preface my pros by saying in no uncertain terms that Best Learning English changed my life(in 13 reviews)

• "High wage relative to other entry-level jobs in China(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Foreign teachers have limited room for growth - only teachers, or head teacher(in 16 reviews)

• "I thought everything at Best Learning was okay(in 12 reviews)

1. "Feeling"

Current Employee - Foreign Affairs in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

International enviroment and nice coworkers

Cons

Office only, some times it makes people boring

Advice to Management

5201314

Best Learning2019-11-04
  2. "Apathetic"

I have been working at Best Learning full-time

Pros

-the pay is spectacular and really competitive in the world of ESL teaching -they give many bonuses and incentive to finish your yearly contracts -it is an easy job, if you don’t care about quality of education (unfortunately this is not me) -the hours are nice if you don’t like waking up early many days a week

Cons

-they don’t care much about individual success of teachers -they don’t put a lot of work into developing or fixing curriculum and if you email them with issues or mistakes in the lessons, nothing is done about it -students are consistently thrown into classes way beyond their level simply because it’s the only time that could fit their schedule and the teachers just have to accept it. -Majority of Chinese... Teachers in my center cannot speak English well, and it is impossibly frustrating to work with them in an ESL environment -our regional manager and principal cannot speak any English and therefor do not interact with foreign teachers, which is an odd dynamic -our principal is also head of the course consultants which means she focuses on money and not quality of academics or quality of teachers -we have a very unprofessional work environment with teachers constantly using profane language in don’t of children and Management does nothing about it -my days off are not together (Monday and Thursday)

Advice to Management

Start to care about your teachers

Best Learning2019-11-06
  3. "Well Paid and Simple Work"

Former Employee - Head Foreign Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is pretty competitive with other ESL schools. In reality, the job is extremely simple. You sign in to work, you check the pre-made lesson plan, you grab the appropriate flashcards, and when the time comes, you go and teach the class for an hour and a half. Provided your Chinese teacher isn't too obsessive over the exact details you won't have any problems. The barrier for entry isn't exactly over the moon or... anything. Show up and time and teach your classes and you should be just fine.

Cons

Management can vary from center to center. My center was well run and the admins were understanding of any issues the foreign teachers had. HR can sometimes seem a bit obtuse on occasion, but during my time there they made clear attempts to improve.

Advice to Management

Please continue to improve your communication with your foreign employees.

Best Learning2019-10-05
  4. "Always paid"

Current Employee - Head Foreign Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Honestly, the job is not difficult. Kids are adorable, especially the very young ones. The curriculum may not be great, but it's there for teachers to start with. The company has always paid on time. There are some legitimate complaints, but valid ones are _usually_ more just annoyances rather than genuine mistreatment.

Cons

Depending on which center you work at, the immediate management can be unethical and deceitful. Foreign teachers have limited room for growth - only teachers, or head teacher. Work hours aren't great - basically everyone works 8:30-6pm or later weekends, and weekdays often afternoon until 8:30pm. Two days off aren't necessarily consecutive.

Advice to Management

There is poor communication between the headquarters and the foreign teachers. Policy changes are often poorly received by foreign teachers because upper management makes changes with insufficient consultation with foreign employees.

Best Learning2019-09-25
  5. "Don't waste your time - you don't need the added stress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ningbo
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Best Learning part-time for less than a year

Pros

The teacher assistants are nice and the kids are cute.

Cons

First and foremost, the center I am referring to is one in Ningbo, China - not Beijing. I had an extremely stressful experience there. To begin with, management is absolute trash. The owner doesn't even speak English, and any talk with him needs to be through WeChat translate. The manager has emotional issues and lacks professionalism when dealing with foreign teachers. They are rude, incoherent and racist. When... asked questions, they get aggressive, point a finger in your face and raise their voice unnecessarily. I don't know where they have qualifications from but it surely shouldn't be valid for a renowned English training school, as all its marketing says it is. The management from the Ningbo school also hires unqualified teachers, me included! I have teaching experience but I am not certified with a degree or with TEFL. The Chinese teachers they have there also speak poor English and DO NOT know how to handle or educate kids. It's an absolute disaster and such a pity because the place itself is super nice and welcoming. Working full-time is also a waste of time because they do nothing the whole day. During the week there is one class per day, and during the weekends there is one class and maybe a demo. Throughout the rest of the hours, people are just on their phones doing who knows what. Management included. They sit around looking out the window all the time.

Advice to Management

Learn how to deal with people. Learn how to respect foreign teachers working for the company. Learn how to communicate efficiently and stop putting the blame on "translation issues". The management in Beile Ningbo is a circus, absolutely ridiculous and immature.

Best Learning2019-10-25
  6. "A Wonderful Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shijiazhuang, Hebei

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Wonderful teaching environment • Great lesson plans and teaching material • Direct lines of communication with clients • Room for growth • Student success is apparent and feels rewarding My review was prompted by recent training with Jeremy from the main office. His training program was extremely helpful, engaging, and fun. He is passionate about English and English education. I strongly recommend his... training program!

Cons

• Miscommunication due to cultural and language barriers • Constantly changes laws and regulations may affect workplace and contracts • Clients may not understand their responsibilities (homework) • Too many useless meetings • Culture shock is something one needs to prepare for • Salary employees are generally treated as hourly workers

Advice to Management

• Be aware that foreign work culture is very different • Regular meetings are only useful when there are pressing matters that require discussion — using meetings to make announcements waste time; directly messaging workforce is sufficient • Planning events in the middle of vacation will result in low participation

Best Learning2019-09-07

"It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Best Learning has been an amazing experience, they're very professional and you can always find help if you need it. The money is really good, and I've been able to save nearly half my check during my time at the company. There's always work to do but they make it simple with premade lesson plans, though they're very flexible with it​ and you can use your creativity and always add something extra to... your classes which is fantastic.

Cons

If you're looking for weekends off this is not the place for you, since It's a training school, weekends will be very busy. It's alright for me because I still have 2 days off and that's enough for me to do my personal things.​

Best Learning2019-08-22

"Good experience"

Current Employee - Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Got me a work visa. Teaching is super fun. Good pay

Cons

First month in China can be rough

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Best Learning2019-08-23
  9. "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Foreign Teacher

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

***this is not a ONLY a review of the company*** This is a review of training received at one of the franchise locations. I am very grateful for the training provided and I have implemented much of the training in my lesson planning already. I believe it was well researched and developed and based on already tested best practices.

Cons

Being asked to rate the training through this site is just one example of poor communication from management. That is not the purpose of Glassdoor. That being said, the most frustrating part of working here has been poor communication with the foreign teachers, a lack of interest in student educational outcomes in preference of getting a sale.

Advice to Management

My advice is to create a more cooperative relationship between FT, CT, CCs, and management by implementing clear academic/testing guidelines that reflect student progress and give each student a chance to learn at their proper level. It would also be nice if management would let their teachers (and the students’ families) prepare for their holidays by giving advance notice of the holiday schedule, as well as any... training or other extra activities the teachers need to do around usual holiday time.

Best Learning2019-09-08
  10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Best Learning for almost 1 year and it's been a really great journey, The company really cares about taking care of their employees , the salary is good, and the environment is friendly.

Cons

I will just say about days off, if you're looking for weekends off this is not the place, weekends are the busiest time at work.

Best Learning2019-08-25