ACT Commodities Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

4.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at ACT Commodities (Less than a year)

Pros

ACT Commodities provides an open and inclusive environment. Each employee has a direct impact on the company. The team is ambitious, collaborative and most importantly fun.

ACT is growing rapidly, which allows its employees to continue to develop on both a professional and personal level.

Cons

No cons at this time.

26 Mar 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review and great to hear your positive experience!

2. "Great company for the ambitious Sales Trader!"

Former Employee - Sales Trader in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Sales Trader in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ACT Commodities is a young trading company, they have interesting profit sharing opportunities when you´re a sales trader, a great atmosphere amongst colleagues and a very nice office in Amsterdam. When you start working at ACT, you are given all the tools, and also training, to be successful at your job. In addition, you are guided and mentored by your manager. Due to personal reasons I had to leave ACT. I was allowed to go home (and stay home) right away and during the months after I left, ACT has been very concerned and involved which I really(!) appreciated. I think back on a very good time at ACT where I learned a lot and where I got to know great people.

Cons

The work life balance can be difficult but if you want to be successful you have to put in the work.

"Sales Trader"

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Company trips, gifts and high end offices

Cons

Lack of morality, conflicts of interest, you're up against the colleague next to you.
    90% of new joiners leave within 8 months, not only traders but from support, back office and other areas as well.
    You are forced to bluff clients about things you have no clue in order to rip them off as hard as you can.

Advice to Management

Create some ethic, hire people who have more than primary school education...divide markets equally. Only the 4 top make EUR500k+ a year, the rest live on the basic salary of 33,000EUR-. Stop making people believe it depends on them to make money, a monkey could make money like you do, it's a matter of first-come-first-served.

3 Oct 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience during your time at ACT. While the nature of trading can be extremely competitive, we aim to foster a... More

4. "The best company to work for"

Current Employee - HR-officer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - HR-officer in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues, benefits, office, variety in work, driven, ambitious

Cons

High expectations (not necessarily a bad thing)

5. "My Experience at ACT so Far"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ACT is an exciting, rapidly growing firm that really strives to ensure that while they continue to scale, they retain their corporate values and overall mission.

It’s amazing to come to work every day and see everyone of your colleagues have a smile on their face. The amount of transparency, inclusion, collaboration, growth, and fun the firm has whilst working hard to make an amazing presence in the environmental commodities space is fantastic!

You have access to all levels of management, and everyone is treated as an equal, no matter your seniority. Everyone is very attentive and will answer questions in order to help you succeed. Overall it’s a great place to be!

Be sure to bring your positive spirit, embrace the family like environment, and be able to put your entrepreneurial/creative thinking cap on for all aspects of your work!

Cons

Nothing yet - so far so good!

Advice to Management

Hammocks in the new office!

6. "Fun and challenging work and environment"

Former Employee - BACKOFFICE ASSOCIATE in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - BACKOFFICE ASSOCIATE in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Horizontal hierarchy, crazy amount of additional gifts, company events and trips. Young and informal company with a friendly atmosphere. Very ambitious and hard working staff and management. International orientation. Big bonus possibility for front office

Cons

Front office focused, work of the rest of the company tends to be overlooked. Fixed salaries below market.

19 Jun 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your time to write a review. We appreciate this enormously and will take the feedback with us.

"High pressure phone sales"

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Happy hours and team events if we hit monthly targets. Can make a very good bonus - but most good markets/clients are already being managed by someone else.

Cons

High pressure sales job with a lot of cold calling. Call stats are tracked. Little career and skills development as the job scope is limited and narrow.

Advice to Management

Distribute clients fairly among all employees rather than having one trader manage all of the big accounts.

14 May 2018 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. The entrepreneurial nature of the Sales Trader role includes prospecting, which is a core part of how our sales traders build their business. I’m sorry to hear that the... More

"Really Great Company"

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Senior Leaders value transparency and care about their people. Access to a private performance coach, lots of training and support for personal and professional development. High earning potential. Fun place to work, team members are friends outside of work.

Cons

None at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to give employees one on one attention even as we get bigger

9. "Solid firm"

Current Employee - Physical Fuels Trader in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Physical Fuels Trader in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Properly aligned to grow within the environment commodities space.
    • Active participation of Senior management and Traders in daily activities.
    • Solid base salary and generous bonus structure.
    • Structured so that the employee determines the growth of their own business, but with the backing and experience of a larger firm.
    • Established flat organization.

Cons

Nothing critical to mention.

Advice to Management

Keep going.

26 Mar 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! And yes, we keep going like this :)

10. "Excellent Firm"

Current Employee - Sales -Trader in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales -Trader in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ACT continues to grow and add talent to its team of Sales-Traders who pride themselves on being competitive, hard working, and versatile. The firm interacts within exciting markets that will continue to grow rapidly in the coming years. All employees are well versed in the intricacies and culture of the client base and markets. The move to New York City will grow the firm in size and scope and should provide key access to client bases and financial/energy related markets.

Cons

No negatives to mention as of now. Hours can be substantial and similar to Investment Banking due to the high focus on relationship building and deal flow.

Advice to Management

The firm is young and will continue to address the needs of employees as it grows in the coming years.

26 Mar 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! Much appreciated. Have a great week!