ACT Commodities Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

ACT Commodities Reviews

Updated 26 Nov 2019

4.2
ACT Commodities CEO Bram Bastiaansen and Jaap Janssen (no image)
Bram Bastiaansen and Jaap Janssen
  1. "Toxic environment - proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Controller
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to make money if you started early and got a decent slice of the customer pie. The company weekend is fun too. Good place if you have no experience and just graduated college.

Cons

Success will highly depend on your manager and how much you're willing to put the effort in making cold calls without one of your colleagues cannibalizing your margin. Limited liquidity in the market and the products are highly influenced by political agendas so it's definitely not your typical trading environment. Overall it's a frat-house type work environment that can be toxic at times. There is a non-compete... agreement you will be signing and they have enforced it with employees in more than one office location in the past, so don't expect to use anything you learn at ACT somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Get on with the times, invest in real professional development (especially for managers), and don't burn every person that decides to leave as it tarnishes your reputation.

ACT Commodities2019-11-27
  2. "Better together!"

Former Employee - Junior Operator in Amsterdam

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time for more than a year

Pros

-young and talented team -company genuinely cares for you -dynamic and changing environment -company incentive schemes -family feel -environmental friendliness -proactivity is always rewarded

Cons

- you really have to fit with the company culture to take the most from your time at ACT

Advice to Management

Stay great!

ACT Commodities2019-10-05
  3. "Great"

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and great opportunities to make good income.

Cons

One of the negative things could be considered that there is a high demand on time.

ACT Commodities2019-09-24
  4. "Exciting time to be at ACT"

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Supportive senior leadership. A lot of room to develop and show your entrepreneurial spirit. Fun environment. Definitely a place that I'm pumped to go to every day.

Cons

None at this time

ACT Commodities2019-08-27

"Great company for the ambitious Sales Trader!"

Former Employee - Sales Trader in Amsterdam

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time for less than a year

Pros

ACT Commodities is a young trading company, they have interesting profit sharing opportunities when you´re a sales trader, a great atmosphere amongst colleagues and a very nice office in Amsterdam. When you start working at ACT, you are given all the tools, and also training, to be successful at your job. In addition, you are guided and mentored by your manager. Due to personal reasons I had to leave ACT. I was... allowed to go home (and stay home) right away and during the months after I left, ACT has been very concerned and involved which I really(!) appreciated. I think back on a very good time at ACT where I learned a lot and where I got to know great people.

Cons

The work life balance can be difficult but if you want to be successful you have to put in the work.

ACT Commodities2018-11-22

"Sales Trader"

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Company trips, gifts and high end offices

Cons

Lack of morality, conflicts of interest, you're up against the colleague next to you. 90% of new joiners leave within 8 months, not only traders but from support, back office and other areas as well. You are forced to bluff clients about things you have no clue in order to rip them off as hard as you can.

Advice to Management

Create some ethic, hire people who have more than primary school education...divide markets equally. Only the 4 top make EUR500k+ a year, the rest live on the basic salary of 33,000EUR-. Stop making people believe it depends on them to make money, a monkey could make money like you do, it's a matter of first-come-first-served.

ACT Commodities2018-09-29
  7. "The best company to work for"

Current Employee - HR-officer in Amsterdam

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time for less than a year

Pros

Colleagues, benefits, office, variety in work, driven, ambitious

Cons

High expectations (not necessarily a bad thing)

ACT Commodities2018-08-06
  8. "Fun and challenging work and environment"

Former Employee - BACKOFFICE ASSOCIATE in Amsterdam

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time for more than a year

Pros

Horizontal hierarchy, crazy amount of additional gifts, company events and trips. Young and informal company with a friendly atmosphere. Very ambitious and hard working staff and management. International orientation. Big bonus possibility for front office

Cons

Front office focused, work of the rest of the company tends to be overlooked. Fixed salaries below market.

ACT Commodities2018-06-17

"High pressure phone sales"

I worked at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Happy hours and team events if we hit monthly targets. Can make a very good bonus - but most good markets/clients are already being managed by someone else.

Cons

High pressure sales job with a lot of cold calling. Call stats are tracked. Little career and skills development as the job scope is limited and narrow.

Advice to Management

Distribute clients fairly among all employees rather than having one trader manage all of the big accounts.

ACT Commodities2018-05-08

"Really Great Company"

I have been working at ACT Commodities full-time

Pros

Senior Leaders value transparency and care about their people. Access to a private performance coach, lots of training and support for personal and professional development. High earning potential. Fun place to work, team members are friends outside of work.

Cons

None at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to give employees one on one attention even as we get bigger

ACT Commodities2018-04-25