Zalando Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zalando (Dublin, Co. Dublin) in February 2020.

Interview

I met with some employees informally for coffee via my advisor. They were really nice, explained what the company is and their teams are doing in detail and encouraged me to apply for a Research Engineer position. I met with Recruitment then which were really nice and helpful since the first contact. The interviewing process was very smooth and fast afterwards. I went on site for 4 one on one interviews back to back one hour each. Topics were programming and coding with a whiteboard question, ML fundamentals, DL and projects you worked on and behavioural questions respectively. It was tough but interviewers made it easy as they were really nice and helpful all the time, very engaging and would understand you don't know everything and were really interested in your work and ideas. HR and the potential manager were always around checking on me and making sure I was confortable and everything was on time. After I met with Recruitment and asked about salary expectations and explained the benefits, all very relaxed but informative. They got back to me in a day with a positive response and in a few days were able to offer me what I asked. Overall great experience, they want great engineers but also nice people. I felt valued and accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Coding such as Python or Scala based on your preference, ML fundamentals such as explain PCA, projects and design questions   1 Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Interview

I involved six interviews in different times and after the final interview HR said your English is not suitable for us. How did not you examine my speaking skills on first interview ? (which took 1 hour). I could spend my time other things..

Commercial Business - Head Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zalando in March 2020.

Interview

Straight forward. (I was in the process of interviewing early stages). Phone interview with HR, then scheduled phone interview with hiring Director.

Most importantly, An HR recruiter contacted me a few days before my interview with the hiring Director only to tell me they have selected a candidate already. Why put me through the process if you knew you were going to offer this to another candidate? Additionally, if there are other candidates in the pipeline that are close to an offer why not be transparent and share that information?

For a company whose core values...specifically "Empowerment and Transparency" ...I am disappointed that you aren't delivering on that promise.

Those of you applying and getting interviews with this company, be sure to ask the right questions upfront and be sure to get the answers that you need. For example, how many interviewees are in the pipeline for this role? How many are being extended an offer or are in the final stages of interviewing? Why are you considering me for this role amidst your in-process candidate pool? etc etc and make a tough decision if necessary because your time is valuable. Companies, specifically HR orgs are willing to waste your time to increase metrics, buzz, and create fail safes or contingencies for roles...

...Remember that a company's #1 asset is its current and potential employees.

Zalando this interview experience does not make you look good whatsoever and with respect to your desires to become the "Amazon of Fashion"...I wouldn't hop on board

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Why Zalando/Role. Walk me through your experience and how it relates to the role...etc.   Answer Question

Scala Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I was appling 2 times. Each time I solved codilite problems. First time I got approx 90%,second time 100%. Refuced first time because my English was insufficient for them so I took lessons and applied again in 6 month. Second time refused on initial HR interview stage with no clear explanation.

Interview Questions

• Thech questulion on Computer science, experience and technology, codility test :2-3 algorythmical problems for 90 minutes.   Answer Question

Team Lead Product Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY (US)) in November 2019.

Interview

I had two video interviews since I was based in the US and the position was in Germany. The interview process used a software program to schedule which was easy to use. The job and company where thoroughly described by the person who interviewed me (my would-be boss). They were clear on the other candidates and the timeline for making their decision on who would get the role. They even responded to my thank you letters after each interview and once I was notified that I wasn't selected for the role they thanked me for my time and provided me an opportunity to discuss further with them if I wanted why I wasnt chosen. And also they requested I fill out a brief survey on their interview process. I think being an European company they are more transparent and open with communication which I appreciate. American companies could learn a LOT from Zalando's professional process and feedback. Most US companies just ghost you. Even though I didnt get the role I have a high amount of respect for Zalando.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about a potential situation or problem that would encounter often in my role and they wanted to know how I would tackle it   Answer Question
    • They wanted to know if I'd be comfortable with rapid change in the company. For example, my role could he changed in 2 years and if I'd be ok with that.   Answer Question

Security Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

I submit my resume on Zalando's website. Couple of days later, the recruiter reached me out and we arranged a Google Hangouts meeting with team lead. All questions are so basic and cliche. I wish I expected that whole questions are more technical.

PMO Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

It was initial discussion with HR to shortlist for next interview round. Even though there were many applications for this profile but they were looking for more foreign experience with ecommerce companies.

Product Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando in March 2018.

Interview

Someone from HR reached out and set up a video call with two members of team. The interview included some fit questions and some questions about my previous experiences. There was also a puzzle question in German.

They ask about salary expectations right up front. Anyone with economics training knows this is really terrible practice towards applicants, given the info asymmetries during job search process. My guess is that they will take the cheapest person with the baseline level of skills. They're not looking for great people.

One other thing, I asked for and they provided feedback which I thought was very nice and uncommon.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

First interview went ok, but on technical interview felt a bit of arrogance by the interviewers and lack of focus on what the role should be about. Sad to have such experience because first interviews were with cool people.

Interview Questions

• We use http for communicating between microservices, why do you advocate rpc?   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando (New York, NY (US)) in November 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me, which turned into a Skype chat.

This was followed by a Skype interview with another recruiter, who then signed me up for a Codility online test.

The coding test had no real relevance to what I would be working on, this part of the process felt silly and condescending.

Finally, 3 separate hour long Skype coding interviews on the same day.

I got to code in two of these interviews, which went great.

I bombed the last of these where I had a sour and negative interviewer who vetoed me.

Interview Questions

• Describe your biggest work failure.   2 Answers

Frontend Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zalando in April 2016.

Interview

The technical interview was about the basic knowledge of JS and HTML, without any refer to currently used libraries. Also there was a simple puzzle, we used JSFiddle as screen sharing.

Interview Questions

• Basic HTML questions, how to build a ul list with looping over an array.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.