Zalando Reviews | Glassdoor.ie

3.4
Zalando CEO Robert Gentz
Robert Gentz
Pros
Cons
  • "Gehalt eher am unteren Ende dessen, was(in 30 reviews)

• "Salaries in commercial roles are not great for German standards(in 18 reviews)

"Research Enginner"

Current Employee - Research Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really good work-life balance. Great development opportunities Great working environment Great state-of-the-art tech stack Great and ambitious goals Great inclusive culture

Cons

Team focus shifted pretty often, need to be flexible for adjustment. Sometimes could be very difficult to see the impact of your daily work due to the size of the company.

Zalando2019-03-11

Zalando Response

April 2, 2019

Thanks for this review! We hope you continue to enjoy working here.

2. "Its grand"

Current Employee - Machine Learning Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good code tech stack and nice enviornment

Cons

Difficult to align work across multiple small teams

Zalando2019-07-19

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Zalando full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Very good software engineering practices. - Opportunity to work on clean Scala code built as micro-services. - Plenty of knowledgeable people to learn from. - Very good software and IT support - Very good open source community (meet ups, blogposts, ...) - Trips to Berlin

Cons

- Sometimes, it takes time to get clear direction about the implementation plan

Zalando2018-05-29

"Fantastic Company"

I have been working at Zalando full-time

Pros

Great engineering & data science culture

Cons

None so far enjoying Zalando.

Zalando2018-05-21

"Incredible mix of Data Science, Engineering, Product Management and Design"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Autonomous, but accountable culture. Freedom to find solutions to hard problems. - Fast moving culture. Teams ship quickly, and weekly rituals like demos encourage fast shipping. - The best data science talent in Dublin. - Cutting edge engineering technologies and techniques. - Good work/life balance. No late night calls to crazy time zones. - Just over 100 people in an open plan space, so you'll connect... with everyone you work with. - Excellent mix of mature and experienced colleagues, and ambitious colleagues earlier in their careers. - Strong career growth opportunities. The office is still growing, with learning and development teams in place. - Quarterly and Half Yearly OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) guide company and team goals, so you'll know how the work you're doing has an impact. - Open culture, low or non-existent "politics". - Lots of really interesting meetups in the office. - Generous staff discount to shop on Zalando.co.uk, with free shipping included. - The feeling of a startup, without the growing pains of a startup.

Cons

- No catered lunches or dinners, but plenty of choice nearby. Soft drinks, fruits, breakfasts are available. - Sometimes a bit chaotic to co-ordinate projects across multiple offices, but easily solved through trips to those offices.

Advice to Management

- Keep evolving the office and culture. It's an excellent place to work!

Zalando2018-03-01

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working culture, lots of talent, cutting edge designs, real vision of the company, colleagues are great and helpful.

Cons

As any big company, things are hard to get a clear agreement.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture of learning from your mistakes and improving. Don't be that radicals in re-orgs, they not only consume money, but affect people in a negative way.

Zalando2018-01-27

"Awesome place to work, lots of talent and interesting problems"

Current Employee - Senior Data Scientist in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance and great opportunities for professional development and growth. A lot of freedom in the technologies you use, provided they are fit for purpose. You are part of the full product life cycle, so you have a feeling of ownership, and you get to work in very interesting and state of the art problems. One of the strongest Data Science tech companies in Dublin. There are a lot of opportunites... to learn new cool things and to upskill (they provide trainings both for soft and hard skills very often). Flexible working hours and possibility to work from home when needed. You get to work with really smart people, and the office environment is very friendly. Good pension scheme and health insurance provided. Totally recommend working here.

Cons

Missing some of the perks from other big tech competitors, such no lunch/dinner provided onsite, no gym.

Zalando2017-11-03

"Excellent place to learn FP/Scala and one of the strongest Data Science tech company in Dublin"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time

Pros

- good work-life balance - interesting projects - no legacy code! - freedom to choose your technology stack (within some boundaries of course) - quality focused - lack of crazy deadlines. Managers understand that quality code need some time - plenty of possibilities to learn cool and new stuff - the office in Dublin is still quite new, so there is plenty of different paths to develop your career - nice... office - good atmosphere - 27 days of holidays - a very good pension scheme

Cons

- no cash bonus, no stock options - that is very bad on the Dublin's market

Advice to Management

Bring more core projects to Dublin. Make this office shine. Solve issue from cons part.

Zalando2017-07-23

"Radical Agility and the Emperor's new Clothes"

Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I worked at Zalando

Pros

- Stylish and modern offices, with soda fridge, coffee, sweets. - HR folks are very nice and look after employees. - Nice IT equipment (MacBook Pro, large monitors)

Cons

"Write great software that you can be proud of". That's what Zalando advertises for their developer roles. That matters a lot to me and that's what made me excited about the company. I'm a clean coder and radical agility seemed to blend with my own professional goals perfectly: Purpose, Autonomy and Mastery. Autonomy to create well crafted software aligned with business goals (the purpose component) with passion... for the work you do and improving your craft (the mastery component) in the process. I put my own personal time into learning the skills necessary to deliver the best product I can and I have no problems with that. I love to code. I don't need the company's endorsement to do that, but feeling that you work for a company that appreciates such efforts would be nice. Unfortunately, RA fell really short from their initial promises. I'm going to be emphatic that I worked at the Dublin office and everything I write therefore applies to Dublin, even though, it seems like there are some controversy about radical agility in their other offices including in Berlin (people claiming is not working). I understand that they are a business, not a charity. A symbiotic relationship where I put my own personal time into mastering my craft and the company benefit from it by getting a great product is fine, but putting my own personal time into hacking things together as quickly as possible for the sake of achieving business goals is a parasitic relationship and that's not ok. I'm not a slave. I was never given any purpose. As a matter of fact I didn't have much idea about what my team was trying to achieve until a high profile person from Berlin came to Dublin and my team presented their goals. I was given little bits and pieces from talking to people, but everyone was just too busy with their own problems. I understand that, but I just don't understand why management couldn't do that. Do they actually understand the purpose of my team? I did get a lot induction (radical agility from the creator himself, company's policies, HR, some tech intros like a STUPS one and even fast track to Scala). Also delivery and other management people would talk about what are their responsibilities, but they seem to have quite a shallow understanding of what are the team's goals. "The purpose of the team is to deliver." doesn't help me much. What I need as an Engineer is "The purpose of the team is delivering A so we accomplish B". Either that or they just didn't fell like letting me know. Also, in practice, their actual role in the projects differ from what they told me about. Delivery lead is described as a "coach", but in practice my delivery lead ended up wanting to tell me how to do my job. As one other engineer yelled at me once "Nobody cares about unit tests!". Whatever technique I'm going to follow to deliver what they asked me to deliver is my choice. It's my choice if I decided to do TDD. I was in Berlin for on-boarding and things seem different (at least on the surface). They have something called "product circus", where different teams show the projects they work on. As a matter of fact, in Berlin employees have a one month on-boarding and they get to choose which team they want to join. Not the case in Ireland. I felt a little depressed when I came back from Berlin, as I got to see that I was getting an inferior deal. I was not given a choice regarding the team I wanted to join in Dublin or even given the team's history, objectives, etc, before I joined. In terms of software development processes, my team is quite poor. Nobody using continuous integration (I took this as my own task and setup a whole AWS Jenkins), not strong also on unit testing (some modules have no unit testing at all). Test Coverage for others are low, under 46% (line). Exceptions being modules I worked on. They didn't spend much time setting up processes that actually give practical value, but they spent a lot of time setting up things that have visibility throughout the company (Google Slide presentations, Kanban boards, etc).Things more down to earth, like deployment automation, testing, CI/CD or simply "the master branch is failing tests on Jenkins" have no importance to the team. The team works under great pressure from delivery to ship, so they often work around issues rather than fixing them and take short-cuts that end-up being ten times more costly than following the proper procedure. They have been developing Spark Jobs without working logs for months from day one... I have no idea how they were debugging it... They would deploy the full stack every time only as a work around for being incapable to deploying modules separately (because they didn't want to stop to try to fix the problem)... That cost the team several hours spent in deployments weekly... Even though my team, as far as I can see, have been cutting corners from day one to deliver something as quick as possible (as instructed by management), somehow management in Dublin decided that their lack of productivity is due to a struggle between "Engineering Excellence" and "Creativity". Excellence is hurting productivity according to them... My team has no corners left to cut. The only person left trying to add some "engineering excellence" was myself and I was over and over "encouraged" to cut corners. No writing of "great software you are proud of" over there. At a given point I pretty much gave up saying anything. Nobody in my team or my lead ever took anything I had to say seriously (unless it would fix their immediate problems). I complained repeatedly about these issues and was repeatedly ignored. My engineering team was frequently burned-out, stressed-out, yelling at me and other people. Zalando has a policy of "be excellent to each other" and works well, most people in the office were very nice, but in a way is artificial (it's a rule after all) and under proper stress people will break and "be excellent to each other" goes down the tubes really quickly. I openly criticized radical agility (or more specifically the lack of) and that caused me problems. Leads came to talk to me. I was honest (maybe brutally honest), but I sensed that they actually got annoyed and didn't listen to me ("we know what we are doing" and after all my refutes against their arguments "these circumstances in your team are temporary", that's how the talk ended). I asked to move to another team so maybe I could find that "radical agility" that eluded me. I even tried to apply to the Berlin office. I did believe in Radical Agility and I wanted to experience it. Suddenly after I asked to move to another team (they also knew that I applied internally to a role in Berlin, which management found out and didn't seem very happy about it) they setup a "probation meeting" where they wanted to give me feedback about my performance. It turns out that: - My technical skills are excellent. - I work hard (sometimes weekends) - My work is high quality (high test coverage, proper documentation, I take these seriously). But they came also with some negative feedback that "I'm picky about the work I want to do", which I refuted. My problem was not the work itself, but the way they wanted me to do it, without following proper engineering practices (no tests, no automation, sweatshop code). What happened to "write great software you are proud of"? So there it goes Mastery flying out of the window... Still, during my induction by my lead, I was told that I was supposed to tour the different projects within my team and choose one that I would be happy to work with. The tour never happened by the way. I tried my best to get involved into what they were doing without much response (people are busy, they have their own problems). In practice I never had any choice. They would just throw at me whatever was a priority at the moment. Sometimes when I would notice people having issues, I would try to help out, but they would pretty much push me away as soon as I fix their issues (they were pretty busy). I could not learn much about what they were doing. I would know about what they were doing with the rest of the company during presentations. When I finished refuting their negative feedback, the strongest con left was "I don't engage in meetings" and the lead uttered this in a tone of voice that was reprehensible, like it nullifies all my other positives. I am an introverted person. I don't like to be the center of attention, but I do provide honest feedback if I'm asked for. If Zalando has a problem with introverted people that's just fine with me, but it seems to me that they were just trying to inflate my negatives just to retaliate against my criticism. I was told in an austere tone of voice by my lead (like I was on trial) that "my request to change teams had been denied" (without a explanation other than "we don't think that's the best for you" like I'm seven years old). I was then told at the end of the meeting that I was to report to my delivery lead, who was going to tell me what was going to be my next task. According with RA, this shouldn't happen. That's up to the team. There it goes the Autonomy down the tubes again. That's was strike three... No purpose. No autonomy. No mastery. I decided to resign then. When I said I was resigning my lead looked at me like someone poured a bucket of ice water on his head. Their intimidation plan backfired. I wonder what he was expecting after this. I busted my back, worked evenings and weekends, endured people yelling at me and got myself sick. I'm burned-out and still they kept scheduling these meetings to address my criticism (they seem frightened that anyone will find out that they are a fraud). They chose about the worst possible moment for this "probation meeting", which had only the purpose of intimidating into silence. Radical Agility isn't real. Surely not in my former team, very likely not in the others in Dublin. Feels like Sasquatch to me even in Berlin. The management in Dublin is dishonest and has no real faith in Radical Agility. They are only interested in keeping up appearances. I'm a little ashamed to say that I would have just settled down for a non-yelling team (and a shopping mall's Santa kind of radical agility), but I was denied this request and I wasn't even asking this to happen overnight. In the manner they bluntly refused it, not even allowing negotiation, and tried to intimidate me, just killed any hope I had to improve my situation. I would like to finish by saying that I do think radical agility is a great idea. It's just that the people in charge in Dublin don't actually believe it and they are too afraid to let the big boss know. They are violating every single one of its core principles in hope that it will get the job done, so the big boss will not get disappointed. A bit like the "emperor's new clothes", but in this real live story the magic garments actually work.

Advice to Management

Make radical agility real.

Zalando2016-08-12

Zalando Response

August 19, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback on your experience working for Zalando in Dublin. We welcome this kind of feedback, and see it as valuable input for retrospectives in order to be constantly improving. The concept of Radical Agility is based on teamwork and team autonomy. Every individual plays an integral part to help each team on its path to autonomy. We depend on the talented people within each team to remain open, patient and respectful. And we expect them to find new and interesting ways to meet the business needs and have impact, while developing and growing each individual. Our leads are there to step in when teams and individuals need support and guidance. In Dublin we see this happening with integrity and a passion for Radical Agility that inspires us. From our perspective, the teams in Dublin are an exemplary role model for Radical Agility within Zalando, and we love how they drive themselves and our business forward. In every part of Zalando we have to balance constantly our passion for delivery against long-term concerns, and all our engineers are part of the conversation about how to find the sweet spots. Projects have different lifecycle phases: sometimes we know what we are building and we build it to last; other times we are exploring and experimenting to better understand the problem space. The tradeoffs between quality and speed vary vastly along that spectrum. In the end, Radical Agility requires cultural fit, and this is a place where we listen to what works and what doesn’t. We are creating an environment where great engineers and data scientists love to work, and where the purpose of each team is clear. We see the teams in Dublin as great examples of how we are succeeding there. It seems it didn’t work out for you, and we are listening carefully to your feedback. We hope you find a place where you can be happy and put your craft to use in a way that works for you. -- Eric Bowman, VP Engineering at Zalando

"Great people and great culture"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Berlin

I worked at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people for sure. I had respect for every level of management above me. Worked with some amazing colleagues. Everyone strives to live the values and the management aim to be transparent, communicative and to address the issues that matter. Although it is an already diverse company they are making it a focus. There is a lot of support for people who want to make a difference.

Cons

It is a big company full of talent and sometimes it makes it hard to stand out and to be given opportunities and to be recognized for going above and beyond - because all my colleagues were doing the same! It pushed me but was also discouraging as someone who was eager to progress. Zonar is the performance management system which can work against you depending on when you enter the cycle. I applied for a couple... of internal positions and the response time was incredibly long

Advice to Management

More social events to bring people from over departments together to help with collaboration but also people who are new to the city and are looking to make friends.

Zalando2019-10-16