Thumbtack Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Thumbtack Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Draper, UT (US)) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview followed by two in person interviews. All three interviews were very informal with the purpose of identifying a cultural fit. Everyone I met was very personable, laid-back and friendly. The Draper office is beautiful and their employees are provided with free lunches and snacks. The office had game rooms and employees seemed to enjoy working together. In the end, I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next position.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied to this job through Glassdoor, but they called it "Product Strategy & Ops Associate" when I applied.

The interview process was long, but it was by far one of the smoothest interview process I've been through thanks to the recruiting team there.

Here were the steps I went though:
    1. Phone call with HR.
    2. Phone call with hiring manager.
    3. Presentation/exercise of reviewing quantitative and qualitative data and making product recommendations.
    4. 3-hour on-site interview.
    5. Final phone call with the hiring manager. (I didn't get to this part)

The presentation was interesting, I liked the topic and that told me I would have liked the job if I had gotten it. The way they structured it was very confusing though. They used a handful of internal metrics and gave vague definitions, even after I probed. Also, Thumbtack's platform has been through a number of changes in the past few years. But the assignment provided data and screen-shots from 2016, and I was to give product recommendations. But what if the solutions to these 2016 problems were fixed in 2018's version of Thumbtack? Was I supposed to suggest 2018's product implementations and pretend I didn't know they were in use (which is what I did for about half of it)? Was I to ignore 2018's solutions and provide newer ones? It was just a mess, and they should update the assignment. It almost hurts you if you are familiar with their product. It could be so much better. They said the assignment should take me 4 hours, but I'll admit I spent like 2 full days on it. If I had the time, why not?

The on-site interview was long (3-hours), but actually very efficient. It wasn't just asking behavioral questions, but broken down into three hour-long sessions: presenting my assignment, user testing focus group exercise, and a case study. It didn't feel like 3 hours. All of this I was extremely prepared for because the recruiting team told me everything I needed to know to prepare a week before coming in. But the interviewers could have been more engaged. Some were eating lunch while speaking to me, some seemed 'too cool' to be acting in the "mock focus group". And I hate vague questions in interviews--if you know what you want me to answer, just ask me straight up and I'll get it 'right' or 'wrong'. This all might be nitpicking, but if they strive for perfection this is what I have to offer.

During the on-site, there's a lot of questions on pricing, user empathy, product management-driven suggestions. Remember this role is a category manager, so it's about fixing specific categories Thumbtack has (like home, or pets) and also making things work all together as a full platform. Through the assignments and questions you have to think of the users, the pros, the specific category, the whole platform, and Thumbtack as a business.

I was disappointed I didn't get it, especially having gone through 4 of 5 steps in the process. And especially especially because of the free lunches cooked in-office every single day. I arrived around lunch time and it looked delicious.

What I liked about the team was the work they did. I felt pretty excited about the opportunity to do that type of work at a large tech company. Also, the team's diversity in terms of races and ages was strong. Overall, the people were nice, and I was able to see myself working comfortably with most of them.

What I didn't like about the team was they claim to want people of diverse professional backgrounds, and maybe that's true for the larger team, but of the 5 people I met and the 1 person who ended up getting the job over me, all of them came from business analyst or consulting positions. I was also supposed to meet 6 people, but 1 wasn't able to make it. Which would've been fine if that person wasn't potentially the exact person I'd be reporting to if I had got the job. They also didn't know what the exact role was they were hiring for (they needed a category manager, but didn't know what category they would be assigned to). That was a slightly strange part of the experience for a candidate.

Again, the recruiting team was so helpful and quick to respond. One of the best recruiting teams I've ever worked with. They had really robust feedback after nearly every step of the process (mostly after I submitted my assignment and after my on-site interview). Except they gave me a shirt at the end of my interview that had Thumbtack's logo and they assumed my size, so it's way too small, and why would I want a shirt of a company who didn't hire me anyway lol. Also, I was told in an email on a Friday they made a decision, so they set up a call with me on Monday to tell me the decision... Perfect way to ruin a weekend with overthinking.

Interview Questions

• How would x metric affect y?
      How would you fix a problem specific to one category without affecting other categories?
      A ton of questions on pricing, so brush up on marketplace pricing and how Thumbtack makes money.   1 Answer

29 Oct 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for the detailed review of your experience. We appreciate you letting us know of both the pros and the cons of the interview process. The insight helps us improve in the future. We wish you... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)) in February 2018.

Interview

The process was lengthy due to a few rescheduling issues. The initial recruiter call is very standard, my recruiter was very professional and communicated next steps clearly. After the recruiter call, I had a take-home exercise which was really fun; however, the tricky part is presenting insights that are closely related to Thumbtack. The take-home exercise prompt has been edited to provide more instructions since it was confusing when I first received it. Then I had a call with an ACM employee who was nice and sharp. I actually really enjoyed chatting with the ACM.

I moved on to onsite interviews next, and this is the part where things get tricky. Onsite interviews are done with mostly Category Managers (most have an MBA / consulting background). I got a strong feeling the Category management team is plagued with business-minded individuals who are not technical and have no prior experience working for a tech company. There was one ACM during my interviews who mentioned the team is trying to move towards a more data-driven team; however, the category managers seem to be looking to hire mini-me's, and candidates who would tackle problems just as they would tackle them.

Overall, I felt the role itself is quite interesting and with a huge potential to make a positive impact in the company but the current team members are discarding amazing talent because they are too picky, and they seem to want to hire people who think like them. Additionally, they're solving issues in a way that's not the most effective for the company and users. I really hope this will change in the near future because I like Thumbtack and would love to see them do better.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

25 May 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for your post and applying with us. We’d like to shed some light on what the Category Management team looks for in our candidates.

When making hiring decisions, the CM team evaluates... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

I had an HR phone screen, phone interview with a member of the ACM team and then a take-home assignment. The entire process was very quick and professional; my recruiter was timely in her follow-ups and I enjoyed working through the take-home assignment.

Interview Questions

• Take-Home Exercise, more general fit questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

The process started with an initial recruiter phone screen, which also outlined the different stages of the interview process upfront. The next stages were a phone interview, take-home assignment, and a day of on-site interviews.

The interviews and exercises were focused around business problems that the team is trying to solve which helped me better understand the role/day-to-day. A lot of the interview questions are geared to see if you can interpret different types of data, synthesize it, and develop some type of recommendation. I really enjoyed doing the take-home and on-site interviews, which signaled to me that the role would be a good fit.

By the end of the interview process, I had talked to many different members of the team and got a pretty good sense for the culture of the team and company.

This role is also known as 'Product Strategy & Operations Associate'

Interview Questions

• The take-home asks you to identify key issues (based on quant, qual data) and provide recommendations to remedy them   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

One phone screen with a recruiter, one technical phone interview, and one onsite interview consisting of 3 coding questions and 1 systems design question. I appreciated that questions stemmed from real-world problems, and interviewers were collaborative as opposed to scrutinizing.

Interview Questions

• Coding questions included a graph problem, OOP design, and algorithmic array problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)) in March 2018.

Interview

Very structured interview process with great turnaround times. My interview process with them lasted for less than 2 weeks and I had the result of my final round delivered to me the very next day of my final round.

Interview process started with standard phone screen, two interviewers on the line with one shadowing and one interacting and asking questions. Went through two coding questions, on the easy side in terms on difficulty levels. Required basic knowledge of Map data structure.

Onsite had 5 rounds which started with System design, then a coding round with interaction about past projects and technology stack that you have worked with, then a break and informal chat with interviewer around what the product is about and the company culture etc. The next two rounds were coding again where you had to come up with running programs built from scratch. They didn't enforce OOP concepts while writing programs but they needed running code and the questions were more real world problems like design a calendar with update, delete and edit event functionality, etc

Interview Questions

• How would you design a todo list with reminder functionality? And other questions around similar lines   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)) in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was one of the best I've experienced. Starting from the phone screening all the way to the offer process, my recruiter was genuinely interested in me and only wanted the best for me. All the people I've interviewed with seems like people I would want to work with.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)) in October 2017.

Interview

After 2 phone interviews, I got an invitation to onsite interview. Thumbtack just helped me set up everything - round trip tickets, hotels and lunch with employee at Thumbtack. It's a delightful interview experience.

Interview Questions

• There are multiple services in Thumbtack. Some services couldn't be triggered until service or service(s) existed. Given an arrangement of services, write down code to check if it's legal. For example, if service C must came after service A&B, then A ->C ->B is not a legal, while A ->B ->C or B ->A ->C is legal.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack in October 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter a year prior to interviewing but I had already accepted an internship at the time. I reached out to that same recruiter this round and was given a coding challenge. The coding challenge was a hacker rank that you had a week to complete. The problem was interesting and pretty fun to work on. The lack of time pressure allowed me to do it leisurely and use best practices without a huge time pressure.

After submitting, I was quickly brought onsite and went through 4 1:1 screens. These screens are different than other experiences Ive had because rather than whiteboarding, you work through a problem and then are expected to implement and RUN it in a coderpad-like environment. This was a bit stressful but overall, I thought it was a fun experience with interesting, relevant problems.

The employees were passionate and bright. Everyone I spoke to was friendly and I generally enjoyable day. The company seemed to be growing fast with ambitious goals.

I decided to accept the offer based professional growth opportunity, mentorship and senior engineers and culture

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

13 Mar 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Glad to have you on board. We’re growing fast and solving big problems, we’re excited to see what skills you can bring to the table!

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.