Thumbtack Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Thumbtack Interview Questions

Interviews at Thumbtack

3.1

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

TLDR: I was ghosted by the recruitment team after the recruiter screen and two back to back interviews. Recruiter had reached out to me initially on LinkedIn. Haven’t heard since the past ~3 weeks.

In these difficult times, interviewing is even harder given everyone’s operating with a deadline (impending layoffs). It has been a tough past couple of months, and I understand recruiters are busy but simple communication goes a long way.

I was approached on LinkedIn by a Thumbtack recruiter, and I personally thought highly of their product team. After the initial screen, I was told that my background is extremely relevant to the role. I was moved to the next stage of the interview process which are two back to back interviews on product sense and leadership.

I was super interested in the company and spent a good week preparing specifically for it. After the interviews, I didn’t hear from Thumbtack at all. I did not even pester too much, sent two emails over a two week period to follow up. No response.

I then checked the careers page of thumbtack and that role was no longer posted. Either they hired someone else, or it was removed. The basic decency would have been to close the loop. Recruiters need to understand that it is very important to the candidate to get closure. Times are tough, and a simple gesture of saying we are no longer hiring for this role is all it takes.

I’m sorry, but this shows the culture of the company. It shows how much it cares about people. As a product person, I can tell how much this would impact the product itself.

Interview Questions

• Leadership interview and a product case interview. They have three standard cases to pick from:
      1) Design an app for the DMV
      2) Design a finance app for millennials
      3) Design a birthday app   Answer Question

17 Jun 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. It's important to us to give each and every candidate a great experience interviewing and we apologize that there was no response. We've reached out to the Team about you and this review specifically. Thanks for giving this transparent feedback as it helps make us a better Team. We appreciate the time and effort you put into our interview process and wish you the very best in your future.

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The interview process consisted of a recruiter screen call, a portfolio review over video, and then an on-site interview in San Francisco. The on-site interview started with a portfolio presentation and then consisted of a number of 1:1s including an app critique.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when there was a disagreement within the team on the approach of a project you were working on.   Answer Question

9 Mar 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate you taking the time to rate your experience and leave this overview. It helps to make us better! We wish we could have given you a more positive experience, so please let us know if you have any additional feedback.

Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Dallas, TX (US)).

Interview

A take home assignment over some data. Followed by a Zoom interview to discuss your findings and how you drew your conclusions. The information was to be presented as a real presentation.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

10 Feb 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate this overview of your experience! We're glad to read that you had a positive experience and wish you the best.

Product Analyst Interview

Interview

First round is take home challenge. You need to make a proposal with the history data and digging more facts. The challenge is tricky actually. They didnot move forward and there is no any feedback.

27 Jan 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you sharing your experience interviewing with us. If you think of any feedback on the process, we'd be more than happy to take that from you. We wish you the best in your future career!

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (San Francisco, CA (US)).

Interview

There were total of 3 rounds, first was a hacker rank, then a 1 hour phone call and finally on site interview.
    The onsite interview was two 1 hour long interviews.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember exactly but for onsite I had to write a tree traversal algorithm and also create the class for nodes and write a test case as well.   Answer Question

30 Jan 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

We're so happy to hear you had a positive experience interviewing with us. We really appreciate you taking the time to post this overview. Congrats on getting the offer! We're excited to have you on the team. :)

Product Analyst Interview

Interview

Overall, the interview process is pretty normal for the position. It is what you expect from a tech company in San Francisco. There is a mix of questions that range from your coding ability to product sense.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

21 Jan 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for this description of your interview! It really helps us grow and improve our interview process when we hear from candidates. We appreciate you taking the time to interview with us, and we wish you all the best.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack.

Interview

Process started with a 20-30 minute phone interview with a recruiter. A couple days after that I had a second interview with the team manager for another 30 minutes. Next came a technical assessment to analyze a real world problem that one would likely encounter in the job. Next is a 3-4 hour on site interview with the team.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the programs that you are comfortable using for data analysis?

Tell me about a work project and the process you used to get through it?   Answer Question

21 Jan 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

Hey, thanks so much for sharing an overview of the interview process and your experience. We're happy to hear it ended up being a positive experience overall, and appreciate you taking the time to share. :)

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Thumbtack in January 2020.

Interview

They reached out to me through LinkedIn and told me to apply. I applied and then received a Take-Home Assignment compiled of two large data sets. They said this was the next stage in the process and that I'd get a decision following the assessment of my assignment. Also, the assignment included giving suggestions on how to improve thumbtack. I did the assignment then was quickly told the position had already been filled. (never informed that others were being interviewed before me to where i wouldn't even be fully considered). Never considered me for position, even after telling me to complete the assignment. waited until after i submitted assignment to tell me the position was no longer available. Told me I'd receive feedback on the assignment within 7 days, never received any feedback. Even sent a follow-up email and still no reply. Convinced they take suggestions and analyses then ditch the applicant.

Interview Questions

Thumbtack Response

6 Feb 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for reaching out with your concerns about our interview process. Each candidate is important to us and considered, and we're disappointed that it didn't feel this way to you. We've reached out to the Recruiting Team directly after receiving your review and would recommend you do the same. Feel free to reach out to your recruiter directly once more, and they'll be able to get you this feedback on the assignment. We hope receiving this feedback will help improve your experience with us.

Analytics Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (New Orleans, LA (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

Five rounds of interviews consisting of a take home assignment, a short first Zoom interview, a longer Zoom interview, an interview with the head of my department, and a phone call with the recruiter to confirm the position.

Interview Questions

• Research shows that taller people use less shampoo than shorter people. Why is that?   Answer Question

9 Mar 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

Great work getting through all of those interviews and landing the job. We have high expectations when interviewing potential candidates, and we're so happy we found you. Welcome to the team. :)

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Thumbtack (Draper, UT (US)) in January 2020.

Interview

The interview process was very quick and only took about 3 weeks. There was an initial phone call with a recruiter, then a technical phone screen with a member of the team, then a take-home analytics challenge, then a 3+ hour onsite interview. The take home analytics challenge was a basic data set with some broad questions that allowed me to take in whatever direction I wanted. The onsite interview included a culture fit interview, a review of my take home challenge, a case study with the hiring manager, and an SQL test. I felt that everyone was SO helpful, especially the recruiter I worked with. I always knew what to expect.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you have worked on and what tools you used   Answer Question

6 Feb 2020 – Social Media Support Manager

This is so great to hear! We're genuinely so happy that you felt helped and comfortable in our office during the interview process. Welcome to the team! We're excited to have you. :)

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.