Rockstar Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Rockstar Games Interview Questions

Interviews at Rockstar Games

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Rockstar Games.

Interview

Recruited by on LinkedIn by Rockstar's recruiter. What a waste of time. One of the most unprofessional recruiters I’ve had to deal with. Received a generic email for a role that didn’t fit me. Rescheduled a call with the recruiter twice. No show twice and got a generic “you don’t fit” email after a quick chat with her.

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (Andover, MA (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

Applied online, got interview with HR, then an online test, then an interview with the head of the department I would work for. Test was reasonable and everyone was professional. Very straight forward about the requirements of working for a company like Rockstar in terms of overtime and general work ethic.

Engine Automation Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Andover, MA (US)

Application

Interview

First given interview with HR, then test, then interview with head of department I would work for. Everyone was professional and asked reasonable questions. Nobody hid the fact that working for Rockstar is difficult and asked questions to make sure you were ok with that.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with working overtime in some capacity?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rockstar Games.

Interview

I interviewed for two different jobs and ended up coming into the offices five different times. The first position I came in 4 times for seemed like a done deal. I was told I'd get a call after their vacation to confirm I got it. When I got a call back I was told I didn't get the job and the recruiter had zero insight to give me as to why I was rejected. He just said "man I wish I could tell you, but I don't know." The second position I interviewed for, I came in for a 5th time. The interview went well but this time I was completely ghosted and never heard from R* again...
    It seems that they take people's passion for video games and the company and use that to extort more hours and more work out of their employees.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to see my work at each of the interviews, but the computer they prepared for me each time would never work, so I'd have to use my own.   Answer Question
    • Favorite movies   Answer Question
    • Our hours are 9-7 and on weekends occasionally, are you okay with that?   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn. I love video games, so I was very excited about the opportunity. I had a phone interview with Manager of Talent Acquisition, then went into their NYC office for 2 separate face to face onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to recruiting.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games in March 2020.

Interview

I applied for a position with Rockstar through Glassdoor, and was eventually contacted by a recruiter after over a month. Once communication started, the recruiter was great about scheduling and answering emails with me.

The first round was a phone conversation with the recruiter, where we discussed the position and company. I was impressed that the recruiter was very forthcoming about the industry "crunch" that Rockstar has been associated with, and discussed how the company was hoping to curb it in the future.

Second round was a take-home, timed coding challenge on Codility. The questions were very straight-forward, not very difficult. Definitely suitable as a "prove you're not inept" first step. Again, the recruiter was great about communication with this step, emailing to confirm I received the challenge, and was quick to follow-up after I completed the challenge over the weekend.

The problem began after scheduling a 30-45 minute phone interview with a few members of the actual team. The recruiter again followed up to prep me; he provided a list of potential topics (very standard list: C#/.Net, algorithms, data structures, etc.), and then stressed that while I may receive a few questions from those topics, the main gauge for the interview would be "problem-solving," and that the team is mostly interested in how my thought-process works. When the time for the phone interview came the following day, the Rockstar employees called me 5 minutes late, spent about 15 minutes going through my resume experience, and then spent the last 10 minutes rushing through a deep-dive of C# questions like "What's the difference between X and Y? Okay, but what does that mean? How about C; how does C work?" before ending the phone call early.

After that, I had radio silence for over a week. I emailed the recruiter after a full week, but received no response. After a week and a half, the recruiter finally called to say that it was a pass from the team. He provided feedback that the team was not impressed with my C# knowledge, but that I was welcome to interview again in the future once I address their feedback.

Overall, this phone interview felt unfair, because it was not the interview I was told to prepare for. I provided that feedback to the recruiter as well, and he seemed surprised that I was not asked any problem-solving questions. He suspects that there may have been changes to the interview script that he should follow-up on.

It's really unfortunate that what started as a really great experience ended up feeling very unfair and rushed. Interviewers beware.

Mission/Technical Scripter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rockstar Games.

Interview

The "interview" process was me sitting and recording a video submission on my computer. A question would appear, I would have 30 seconds to think about it, and then it would automatically begin recording me for up to 2 minutes. I could stop the recording at anytime, but I could not resume it. Once it was stopped, it was submitted.

Interview Questions

• What Inspired you to pursue a career in the gaming industry?   Answer Question
    • If you could work on any gaming franchise what would it be and why?   Answer Question
    • What multiplayer games are you currently playing?   Answer Question
    • What was the last multiplayer game you played and what would you have done to improve it?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience with either Red Dead Online or GTAV Online.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (San Diego, CA (US)) in February 2020.

Interview

Video Recording Interview - Use a webcam and Mic to record you responding to timed prompts, no retakes or do-overs. There is a practice interview to test your equipment, nothing more. Questionable legality - like sending a photo with your resume

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.
      Why are you a good fit for this position?
      How important is your role for the business?
      How do you keep organized, focused, and prioritize tasks?
      Why do you like Rockstar?   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (New York, NY (US)) in October 2019.

Interview

I applied online through Glassdoor back in October 2019. I spoke briefly with the HR recruiter on the phone. I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. On route to the interview, I received an email and text that they wanted to reschedule. Since I was 10 minutes away, the recruiter and managers met with me. After sending a thank you email as well as a follow-up email on their interview process. No one returned my call or email. Since then I've noticed they are still looking for a receptionist for their nyc office.

Game Design Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Rockstar Games (San Diego, CA (US)) in July 2019.

Interview

After filling out the online application, I received a request from their HR to do an online video interview. Online there were a few questions that mostly pertained to what sort of games I like playing, what I would like to develop and what I would bring to the team.

Interview Questions

• What makes you special? What would you bring to design team?   Answer Question

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.