GSA Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ie

Interviews at GSA Capital

3.3

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I interviewed at GSA Capital (New York, NY (US)) in March 2020.

Interview

Quick response after application sent. However, the hr would never reply your email. Interviewer was friendly and professional but still rejected though questions were answered correctly. Probably it is like what others mentioned, they are looking for someone fitting in the "culture". Also possible there is just no opening and they only forward the application to teams after you pass several rounds of initial screening. Waste of time to applicants tho

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GSA Capital in November 2019.

Interview

Extremely disappointing process. The PM I interviewed with was only interested in the strategy I built for another hedge fund. He was not at all interested in other work I did, or my skills. He kept asking me to give him specifics about the strategy, while I gave the more general detail from the academic research about the topic while telling him that it's proprietary. After realizing that I'm not giving out the specific variable names, data source, etc, he started telling me that what I did was completely wrong and my strategy wouldn't make money. Same with the other strategy I built for another hedge fund. Overall a terrible experience, not sure why they want to extract strategy from the interview, maybe they don't have much going on for themselves.

Quantitative Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GSA Capital (New York, NY (US)) in March 2019.

Interview

I applied on the website and they gave me a phone interview. And the interviewer was patient and stated his question very clearly. But it seems I don't have enough knowledge for statistical learning. So I failed in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: What is overfitting and how to avoid that?   Answer Question
    • Q: What is the differentiate of x*logx?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GSA Capital (New York, NY (US)).

Interview

Interviewed with 3 men onsite, each for about 1 hour. One focused on research experience on resume and coding, one focused on technical math/stats problems, the last one is a senior boss and asked you to find alpha given a specific scenario.

Interview Questions

• What is the MLE of the parameter of a Poisson Distribution?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GSA Capital.

Interview

Only made it to the phone interview. Interviewer was very nice and patient when working through math/quant problems. Asked him about the overall hiring process and he said it starts with a phone interview, then a second phone interview, then a mathematical modeling problem, then another interview about your model, then they fly you over for a final interview.

Quantitative Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at GSA Capital (San Francisco, CA (US)) in January 2016.

Interview

First stage is a set of interviews, for a total of 3 hours (1hr per interview) on the same day. Questions include basic statistics, and math. In the second stage, they sent a project and you need to finish with a limited time. And the last stage is on-site interviews.

Interview Questions

• Law of large numbers, central limit theorem, approximate probabilities, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied via external recruiter. Interview was conducted via BlueJeans platform, extremely laggy. General questions about my career path, what I'm doing now etc. The interviewer seemed not interested and not involved.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GSA Capital (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The interview process consists out of a phone interview and multiple days of in person interviews. This might not be immediately clear when first applying, but they really drag this out.

My experience was one of the worst I've had in any interviews. The technical interviews went well and I was ready to proceed with the next round. However, the hiring manager acted unprofessionally, when having an informal chat, and the process was cut off.

It seems like they were very much looking for someone who would fit their exact way of thinking, and they were not keen on someone who would actually ask questions or have a slightly different point of view.

Interview Questions

• Combination of standard software engineering questions (sometimes in a finance context), and some mathematical questions.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GSA Capital.

Interview

I found the role through a recruiter specialised in functional programming dev positions. The interview turned out to be about something neither functional nor development. My overall impression of the process was that it wasn't prepared for, and was more a quant/finance interview than a software engineer one. Despite being told I'd be completing a programming task so would need access to a computer, I was instead asked to complete a logic puzzle over the phone. Although pleasant, the interviewer wasn't too prepared as they initially asked me if I was applying for the intern position. They didn't ask whether I'd like to give the programming task a shot, instead assuming it wouldn't be suitable, as I didn't have much experience in the OO language that they used (I was surprised, as I was under the impression the role would involve FP). When I asked if this sort of logic puzzle was what they did on a day-to-day basis as a developer, they replied in the negative, which made me wonder what sort of candidates they were filtering for - traders or software engineers.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Interview

I applied with CV and cover letter and was rejected after 6 hours. This was especially irritating as I had spoken with company employees and been encouraged to apply just two days before.

Interview Questions

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.